Adventist Online

Can we drink coffee?

Views: 659

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tell me Mark. What difference would it make?

Ellen White ate meat for thirty years after her health visions on meat.

Did that make a difference? Since it does NOT make any difference ... why oh why would drinking coffee?

Point being ... prophets are human. Even they are not necessarily able to follow their own teachings. This fact does not take away from them being inspired prophets.

But since you asked ... Mrs. White drank strong coffee with a raw egg in it when she would get sick. And this was well after her vision on coffee. See ... 2SM 302
I thank you for clarifying that, your first post could have been intimated to read that she was hypocritical.

We have also discussed the use of meat in the context you have supplied again, that it is was used for emergency food.

Ellen White was not a hypocrite as far as my studies show, you have to be careful how you post because it does look like you are charging Ellen White with hypocrisy when you do not explain your position.

Sometimes when we present only part of the information, it can be called a half-truth.

I would counsel you not to present the teachings of our prophet in that manner as it could be misconstrued.

Mark
I don't present ANY 'side' . I just present raw facts and let each person decide for themselves. I am not going to say your bias that this is not hypocrisy is true or not. I will let the reader decide. So ... I have no need for your 'counsel' and thus reject it.

BTW ... This is a place to voice opinions and testimonies. It is not a place for debate. At least ... I have no intentions to provide debate. I see that you like to do this. But it is not my wish.

As a habit ... I do not provide sources. I try hard not to. But if I am asked for them ... I will provide them. I feel this is a place to voice opinions and testimonies. I try hard to do that and not get into theological debates. I think the long list of references just get in the way. They are worthless unless you have the right spiritual background to interpret them in context.

When legalist list quotes ... I just skip them ... for I know that they are out of context and not understood under the Grace of God and His Gospel. So ... all those pages of quotes are just worth nothing except to prove the opposite of what the poster intends.

I will continue to voice my opinion and interpretation of what I read in scripture and Ellen White. I am not here to change the opinion or interpretation that ANYone has. I am here to testify of what God has done and shown me personally. I wish to change no one's faith. If the Holy Spirit does impress you with a thought ... then praise God.
Are you not concerned that the way you presented the idea that Ellen White drank coffee could lead other people to think she was a hypocrite?

Because you did not qualify it, I considered it dangerous, someone who was new to the faith might not know to go and qualify a statement like that.

I am just advising that you should consider those types of statements, as they could be taken the wrong way.

People could assume you are trying to undermine the SOP in some way.

So asking for clarification helps you and helps others.

Mark
Feel free to ask for clarification any time you need it. Thanks Mark.

Assumptions are never good.

But I will leave interpretations up to the reader.

By the way ... Ellen White was a hypocrite just as I am. We all fail to live up to what we know. That is why we need God's Grace.
Ellen White was not a hypocrite in the sense that she said one thing, but by her actions did another.

In the sense that the Pharisess were.

So I reject your comparison if you are inferring that.

Mark
Ellen White admitted to failing to observe her own instructions. We all fail. And Ellen White was a prophet ... but she was also human.
Can we drink Coffee??? .......Positively

"Should" we drink Coffee?...............Positively not!

'nuff sed
OMG well i am shocked out of my wits, because as an Adventist youth coffee has always been a no no, in terms Ellen White i think that if we believe that she has messages from God we should adhere to them because when we don't we are not doing it against her but God and we have to also keep in mind that the bible said that we should work out our own salvation with fear and trembling.

Reply by N Him on April 8, 2009 at 1:30pm

Tell me Mark. What difference would it make?

Ellen White ate meat for thirty years after her health visions on meat.

Did that make a difference? Since it does NOT make any difference ... why oh why would drinking coffee?

Point being ... prophets are human. Even they are not necessarily able to follow their own teachings. This fact does not take away from them being inspired prophets.

But since you asked ... Mrs. White drank strong coffee with a raw egg in it when she would get sick. And this was well after her vision on coffee. See ... 2SM 302

Here is the whole statement

I have not bought a penny's worth of tea for years. Knowing its influence I would not dare to use it, except in cases of severe vomiting when I take it as a medicine, but not as a beverage....  {2SM 302.4}

I do not preach one thing and practice another. I do not present to my hearers rules of life for them to follow while I make an exception in my own case....  {2SM 302.5}

I am not guilty of drinking any tea except red-clover-top tea, and if I loved wine, tea, and coffee, I would not use these health-destroying narcotics, for I prize health and I prize a healthful example in all these things. I want to be a pattern of temperance and of good works to others.--Letter 12, 1888 (To a minister on the West Coast).  {2SM 302.6}

Coffee as Medicine.--I have not knowingly drunk a cup of genuine coffee for twenty years, only, as I stated, during my sickness--for a medicine--I drank a cup of coffee, very strong, with a raw egg broken into it.--Letter 20, 1882 (To friends).  {2SM 302.7}

I am surprised to know the fact, but does not mean to judge on others. Just pray that we don't have pastor who loves to drink beer as well.
I am sorry as for me "I DON'T DO DRUGS"

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by