Adventist Online

I was wondering why is that I hear so many conspiracy theories paraded around. From FEMA death camps to Sunday laws

Why are we so quick to hear them and why do we believe them? Is it damaging to faith and to or church?

Views: 160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As long as the church go back to before the 1956 Question of Doctrines to appease the Protestants, and start proclaiming the Three Angels Message, instead of the massive Evangelization, the church should be doing better. That's the cleaver of truth. That ministers and members should read Bible + SOP + 1888 message only, there should be a Latter Rain global wise, instead of focusing on some other men's devise.
William, not sure what you are getting at with your last sentence.

The fact is that the present structure, the present order of things (devisings of men such as men's constitutions with by laws, policies, resolutions, voting, delegations) does not allow the Holy Spirit to be King. The latter rain will fall only on those who receive, believe, and act upon the light that was sent between 1888 and 1901.

sky
Hi Sky, I won't name out the false Latter Rain because it will offend many. We need to ask ourselves can Latter Rain occur without repentance of sin, without walking the narrow way, without the Sanctuary message, and without the health message. Most of the time we see false Latter Rain when they try sensationalism i.e. "move of the spirit", "Bible only" without reading SOP, intense prayer on a certain day without repentance of sin and the rest of the message above [but then again more prayer is always good]. The Adventists are too closed to the Final Rapid Movement for any massive reorganization, maybe 60 years ago, but not now. Now is the time right before weeping at the porch for the abomination in Israel.
Hi William, I see a difference between accepting the early rain experience which brings personal revival resulting in confession of sins, repentance, reformation, walking the narrow way and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit in large measure to reach out to others.

The message is very simple. Are you hungering and thirsting for salvation? Are you hungering for pardon and light and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit? Daily come to God as you are, sinful, helpless, dependent, condemned sinner, bringing to God the merits of Christ for "The only way to attain to righteousness is through faith. By faith he--the sinner--can bring to God the merits of Christ." F.W.101.

The merits of Christ are the remedy provided for the sinner. "Faith can lay hold of the merits of Christ , the remedy provided for sin." F.W.100,101.

In this we have the sanctuary message for "The intercession of Christ in our behalf is that of presenting His divine merits in the offering of Himself to the Father as our Substitute and Surety; for He ascended up on High to make atonement for our transgression." Signs of the Times, July 4, 1892.

What is the atonement? It is to present to the Father the divine merits of the sufferings endured to reconcile man to God.

"We see in the midst of the throne One bearing in hands and feet and side the marks of the suffering endured to reconcile man to God. We see a Father, infinite, dwelling in light unapproachable, yet receiving us to Himself through the merits of His Son." A.A.333.

The Father receives us through the merits of the sufferings of Christ.

"God will receive everyone that comes to Him trusting wholly in the merits of a crucified and risen Saviour. Love springs up in the heart. There may be no ecstasy of feeling but there is an abiding, peaceful trust." 1 S.M.354.

Resting in the merits of Christ brings an abiding, peaceful trust, and perfect assurance.

As we do this, Christ's righteousness accomplishes everything and we make progress, from grace to grace and from light to a greater light that we may be prepared for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit in large measure.

We are joined to the Head and we are actuated by the Head as the members of our bodies obey the head. Then the Lord can finish the work and cut it short in righteousness, and we are told that this work will be done in a manner very much out of the common order of things and in a way that will be contrary to any human planning. (T.M.300)

sky
Fred Slingo said:
In the end do conspiracies matter at all? And by espousing and promoting them are we doing more harm then good.

Yes, they do. That's why all those conspiracies are laid open in the Bible, for our examination, so we might know what is in the hearts of men. So we might know what is in our own hearts.

Ahab could have laughed it off when Elijah rebuked him for murdering Naboth, and could have declared it a "conspiracy theory", and reviled him to cover up his crimes. He would have been right. But the theory was true.

The popular report was that the body of Jesus was stolen by the disciples. But the conspiracy theory said their was a conspiracy to cover up the resurrection. That the Jews paid the guards to lie about what happened:

Matt. 28:11 Now when they were going, behold, some of the watch came into the city, and showed unto the chief priests all the things that were done.
28:12 And when they were assembled with the elders, and had taken counsel, they gave large money unto the soldiers,
28:13 Saying, Say ye, His disciples came by night, and stole him [away] while we slept.
28:14 And if this come to the governor's ears, we will persuade him, and secure you.
28:15 So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day.

Everyone said the disciples stole the body. That was the popular theory about what happened. Do you believe in the resurrection of Christ? Would you have believed it back then, when it was a conspiracy theory?
I think that there are a couple of reasons why we love conspiracy theories:

Firstly, there is the desire to make sense of, or explain the unexplainable. To attempt to reconcile the things that don't make sense to us. As humans we love everything to fit into it's own compartments, to rationalise, to make understandable. 9/11 is a very good example, many Americans found themselves incapable of reconciling their expectations with reality. Their minds told them that there had to be something beyond the simplest, obvious answer. So conspiracy theories are born.

Some say that it is impossible that men armed with boxcutter knives could take control of aircraft - but they did.
Some say that it is impossible that the twin towers could fall without extra explosive help - but they did.
Some say that it is impossible that a plane hit the Pentagon and caused the damage seen - but it did.
Some say that it is impossible that men from a misunderstood religion living in third world countries could inflict such damage on the most "advanced" country in the world - but they did.

Because the simplest, most obvious explanation does not fit in with pre-conceived ideas a more complex, impossibly secret explanation is devised to attempt to explain the unexplainable.

Secondly, SDAs are particularly susceptible due to our understanding of the Great Controversy. For many, when they come into the SDA faith it is a very exciting time. They are studying prophecy and, particularly when reading the book "The Great Controversy", their eyes are opened to the one grand conspiracy. I, like many others, never watched the news in the same way again after I had read that book. But, as time goes on, the excitement can wear off if you do not keep yourself involved in the Gospel work. So some try to recapture that excitement, that sense of knowing something that was previously unknown, hidden. In this way many are mislead into wasting their time with the myriad of conspiracies and "new light" that are regularly presented before us. They quickly learn that if they buy into what's on offer they become one of the "elite" and probably have a free pass into heaven as well.

Most of the conspiracy theories are the product of non-SDA minds which also means that when SDAs buy into these theories they are often buying into the false understanding of prophecy which goes with the fallen churches that many of the conspiracy theorists belong to. Whilst they deny the validity of these false interpretations of prophecy they simultaneously support them by following the theories of those who really haven't got clue. Like Richard Kimble, the Fugitive, they run around searching for and proclaiming their particular "one-armed man" whilst wasting the time God has given them to proclaim the 3 Angels' Message.
Well said and thank you. We, as Christians should follow the biblical principle found in Titus 3:2 "Speak evil of no one". Certainty promoting these theories speak of those we soppose are behind them.
Dear Fred,

The Jews heard about the conspiracy of the "Solution" in the 1930's that developped from the Nazi party and their psychopath leader, Hitler. Some took heed of what they "heard" without waiting to see if it was only conspiracy theory, others did not. That is why millions of Jews and others died during WWII, and the death camps and concentration camps killed more civilians than soldiers. History proves it and so are live witnesses, although some idiots are still wanting to deny it really happened.

While I do not listen or believe every site on coming events or conspiracy theories, as this young man signing rush4hire says, the Bible is full of conspiracies and the Great Controversy in heaven and now on earth started with a conspiracy against the Creator of heaven and earth's law and government.

Sure we must pray and watch, and sure we must do everything we can to come close to the Lord everyday, but there are plenty of prophecies in the Word that warn us of conspiracies against His people that will allow the governments of the world to form an New World Confederancy and take away the freedom of those who serve the true God..

There is nothing that Satan fears the most that we should know his devices. If ever there was another repeat of the "Solution" to kill all of God's people, I have committed myself to the Lord to come to the help of God's people as La Resistance did during the war or Marie Durand who was emprisoned in La Bastille for more than 30 years. Her motto was: RESIST. Maybe it is just the French blood in me that cannot believe people would be so blind as to not see the game of world government. I spend 6 years in the 1990's along with other conspiracy believers, distributing millions of Great Controversy and excerpts around the world, warning them in more languages than I can speak, about "What's behind a New World Order." Call me a conspiracy theory believer if you want, I do not mind at all.

It is not enough to pray, one must know how to stand for the truth and speak while they can. While it is true that Alex Jones has some pretty hard to believe conspiracy theories or even Ron Paul, that is exactly what the Jews who perished in Auschwitz and Treblinka thought as well. "He who forget (or ignore the past) is bound to repeat it."

I visited Auschwitz, Treblinka and other death camps while a missionary in Poland in 1996, and these are not conspiracy theories. Man is capable of crualty surpassing the animal kingdom when the Holy Spirit no longer guides him.

It has been seen during WWII at its worst and experienced with since. Do no fool yourself by consolling yourself that God will protect His people. Better be ready and move to the country and prepare to survive the little time of trouble where we will no be able to buy or sale and then flee to the mountain during Jacob's time of trouble where the angels will come and feed us.

I am wondering how many of those denigrating these conspiracy theories, live in the city still and can even grow a decent garden to survive with, in the days ahead. That is probably why we are still here! How many are still depending on medication to take care of their little ailment and those of their family rather than being acquainted with charcoal, colloidal silver, herbs or hydrotherapy? I wonder how many still like there Beef stake well done with a little bit of spicy sauce. You choose the one you like!

No wonder you think it can damage your faith or the church! Wait until it starts, then count the damage!

With His love,

odette
A couple of quotes in response to this "those who delay preparation for the day of God cannot obtain it in the time of trouble or at any subsequent time. The case of all such is hopeless" GC 620

"So should the followers of Christ, as they approach the time of trouble, make every exertion to place themselves in a proper light before the people, to disarm prejudice and to divert the danger which threatens the liberty of conscience" GC 616 (How can this be accomplished if we are exposing what we think are conspiracy theories?)

"None but those who have fortified the mind with the truths of the Bible will stand through the last great conflict" GC 593

I say we need to spend time studying precious truth, finding Jesus in them and let Him take care of the conspiracies of men!

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service