Adventist Online

1 Sam 16:14

Now the Spirit of the Lord had departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord tormented him.

3D

Views: 940

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes...that is what Scripture states.  As God is Love, what other spirit but an evil one can exist in a person when He removes His Spirit from them?

That is what the scripture says...

Thumbnail

Yes,He sent an "evil" spirit to torment Saul. What is your follow-up question 3D?

The LORD sent Satan to mess with Job....What's the difference?  It is not as if God allowed the evil Spirit to possess Saul.  Possession requires willing access, which only the individual can give permission to.

hummm...

Everything God does he does it in righteousness sake. Yes he sent the evil spirit to torment Saul and he did this by allowing satan to have his way but the key thing is he allowed it. Now we may not understand why God would allow the devil to bring suffering or evil upon us but what we have to believe is that every single test and trial that we go through as his people he gives us the strength to bear and overcome. and every trial and test is connected to our salvation.

It says that God slew Saul. Now we know that, in fact, Saul physically took his own life, yet the Bible says God slew him.

Saul didn't physically take his own life,an Amalekite did.David later had that Amalekite executed.

2 Samuel 1

LOLOL!

Therefore Saul took a sword and fell on it. And when his armorbearer saw that Saul was dead, he also fell on his sword, and died with him.

Indeed.

I'm glad to see that you believe what is clearly written in the Bible( in English),yet it is a mystery to me why you don't apply this same principle to the rest of the Bible.

Really! Are you really saying that God is directly responsible for an act of torture? and that he employs the devil to do his work?

1.Certainly not.With that question you would be under the assumption that the word "evil" in "evil spirit" used in Samuel 16:14 means: sinful or a originating from sin,or wickedness.Since you know that God is not sinful or wicked then you have concluded that He employed the devil to"do His work".

However,I will tell you that your understanding of the use of the word "evil" here is incorrect.It means "harmful,causing harm or misery,even troublesome".Satan was not involved.The LORD sent the spirit,not satan.

2.Perhaps you would then say that harmful doesn't mean evil,and I would be forced to show you:

Definition of EVIL

a : morally reprehensible : sinful, wicked <an evil impulse>
b : arising from actual or imputed bad character or conduct <a person of evil reputation>
a archaic : inferior
b : causing discomfort or repulsion : offensive <an evil odor>
c : disagreeable <woke late and in an evil temper>
a : causing harm : pernicious <the evil institution of slavery>
b : marked by misfortune : unlucky
------------
3.Now that you know the definition of "evil" includes "harmful" ,you may want further evidence that "harmful" was being implied there.
 I could then provide you with a Bible translation stating this in English:
1 Samuel 16.14(ESV)
14 Now the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and a harmful spirit from the Lord tormented him.
I would now say that according to both the English and the context of it's use,it was a harmful(evil) spirit that was sent by God to torment Saul.
If that weren't enough I'd also provide another Bible verse with the same usage.
Judges 9:23
23 Then God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the men of Shechem; and the men of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech:

This is how I read it.

File this one under, "Do I really believe the Bible or do I prefer to follow the logical twists the Church generally puts on this and many other texts to support their false god and keep the Asherah pole beside the alter of burnt offering in their hearts." 

Let's not forget this spirit is referred to in precisely this way 6 or 8 times in chapters 16, 17 and 18.  This is a very strong witness as to the source of this spirit.

Compare this text with standard church doctrine along with these texts which also prove we do not really believe the Bible:

Exodus 4:12 and 7:3 with others following.  A total of 14 texts speak of Pharaoh's heart being hardened.  In 10 of these this hardening is attributed to God.  In these first two God says, "I will harden Pharaoh's heart."  You cannot get any more clear than that.  It is not, "I will allow  him to harden his heart."  Since God takes full credit, those who  try to separate God from this credit are calling God a liar.  Those who teach the Queen of Heaven doctrine that God would never do this to any of his children he created are also liars who have no understanding of how God works to bring us to repentance.

2 Samuel 24:1, and 1 Chronicles 21:1.  These both talk of the same event, but each places the blame on a different entity.  2 Samuel says God caused David to sin by numbering the people; 1 Chronicles says Satan caused him to sin by numbering the people.  So which is true?  Both!  Ultimate responsibility lies with God because he was judging Israel for the 70 rest years they had not kept up to this point.  They were under God's protection from the census taken in Numbers 26.  In this case David neglected to take the half shekel ransom of every man counted required by the law in Exodus 30, thus God could now bring a plague against his people.  This was one of the options he offered to David as punishment, and it was this option David chose.  As a result, 70,000 people died of this plague.  Yet 1 Chronicles is also true.  It was Satan who was the agent God used to cause David to sin, just as Satan was God's agent against Job (yet as God said, Job never sinned.)

1 Kings 22:22 and 2 Chronicles 18:21 -- the lying spirit from God in the mouths of Ahab's prophets.  Compare this with Ezekiel 14:1-10 and the Law of the False Prophet in Deuteronomy 13.  God tells us he sends some (or maybe all) false prophets and he tells them what to say to us.  He does this to test us and see if we really love him, or if we do not, and we prefer the false gods we keep in our hearts, he magnifies this strong delusion (2 Thessalonians 2) to make us fall and bring repentance.  Once again, the Queen of Heaven tells us our loving Father would never do this to us so it must be someone else causing all this. 

Which are you going to believe -- God or the Queen of Heaven, whose doctrines are alive and well in this denomination?

Exactly Myron.If the Bible says that the LORD sent an evil spirit then we can believe the LORD indeed sent the evil spirit.Why do people want to give satan credit for God's work?

In Judges 9:23 we see that God sent an evil spirit
23 Then God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the men of Shechem; and the men of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech:
If we were to read more about this then we would understand exactly why God did it too,
Judges 9:23-24
23 And God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the leaders of Shechem, and the leaders of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech, 24 that the violence done to the seventy sons of Jerubbaal might come, and their blood be laid on Abimelech their brother, who killed them, and on the men of Shechem, who strengthened his hands to kill his brothers.
Also at the end of 1 Samuel 15 we read that God regretted making Saul king,and as a result David was chosen by God and anointed by Samuel.The LORD sent the evil spirit to torment Saul and as a direct result David was put in his service,which led to friendship with Jonathan(which later saved his life)David being put in command of a thousand,and then marriage to Michal becoming the rejected King's son-in-law(and later saving his life again).
Who are we to say God didn't do this or that when the Bible says He did.Why do we as clay feel that the Potter must fit our mold?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service