Adventist Online

i just want to address out of my curiousity though it's kinda a weird question but this may sometimes may affect how you and me behaves socially and spiritually since we would like to become more like Jesus.

Did Jesus make any Jokes??? (^_^)

Thanks for the answer.

Views: 555

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ross

Yes, that is another of the funny stories in the Bible.  I have told that one a few times in my sermons. 

See, humor, joking, jesting, is a very powerful tool.  It can nail an idea home in a person's mind like almost nothing else can.  About the ONLY subject that is more influential on the mind is the topic of death.  Pets are also high on the list.  What is interesting is that sex is down on the list of topics that captivate the mind and open it up to suggestions.  Oh, I know someone will argue that, but that is a known factor in the advertising world.  Although used often, it is somewhat of a "cheap shot."  Too often sex can get in the way of the real message.  When this happens, the use of sexual topics is counterproductive.

Like the saying:

"If you can't convince them with your facts, dazzle them with your ________ ___________ !" 

That is when many advertisers introduce sex objects or themes.  They do not have facts, so they attempt to dazzle. 

Proper humor is a powerful tool in a sermon.  When it is used correctly, the hearer will hang onto the message and will virtually forget the humor.  If the hearer remembers the humor, they will usually forget the point that was made.  This is the difference between the good and bad humor.  The fact that the humor Jesus used has to be pointed out, demonstrates what I am speaking of.  It was the point He made with that humor that we remember, which is the way it should be.

Maranatha :)
Ray

The "even before Abraham, I AM" statement by Jesus though NOT a joke was an intentional play on words. I want to lol whenever I hear him say that, on my Gospel of John DVD.  The crowd gets so mad at him!!!

0_o

The minister who mixes storytelling with his discourses is using strange fire. God is offended, and the cause of truth is dishonored, when His representatives descend to the use of cheap, trifling words. {VSS 273.1}

I believe laughter is a defense mechanism. So it can be dangerous when dealing with God. Laughter calms the mind so it may prevent people from thinking on the level necessary to understand things of God.

0_o

Jesting and joking may please a class of cheap minds, and yet the influence of this kind of conduct is destructive to spirituality. I speak to you as a class and also as individuals: Guard your words. Let sobriety and sound common sense characterize your conversation. Do not trifle with the purity and nobility of your souls by condescending to indulgence in stale jokes, and in cultivating habits of trifling conversation. {OHC 292.2}
I cant answer your question but I can add here from SOP that this pastors currently joking while preaching are nailing down Jesus hands in the cross! sis  White said you can not use the pulpit to get laugh from the audience... 

curently the preachers copy TV show while preaching....

BLESSINGS!

Sorry, Bro Desmond for replay you words! I didnt read your post before posting! its ok?

Blessings!

I don't do much joking but here is my small collection of Bible related jokes.

One day Moses walked into a bar and said, "Ouch that hurt."

In America God loves everyone.
In Soviet Russia God still loves everyone.

Why did God carry his cross down the road.
To show his other side.

One day Jesus and Noah were at a party. 
Noah asked him to turn some water into wine. 
Jesus said, "Sorry, you have had enough."
Genesis 9:20,21>>>If you don't get the joke.

***free secular joke****

I tried to grab a horn by the bull and I ended up saying things backwards.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service