Adventist Online

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT DIVORCE?

Views: 274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John

The Bible says that we are not to even consider a charge unless there are two or three witnesses. No matter who the person might be. Just how many witnesses are there to those charges?

A dear friend of mine stopped me on the camp ground one time, long ago, and said that there was a story going around that I had committed a crime and went to jail for it. I cracked up laughing. I have never been charged, convicted or done any jail time.

Well, I have to correct that last one.

One time when I was visiting an incarcerated chuch member when the computer went down and I was locked in jail for a short time. But so were the jailers too. LOL But that is the extent of it.

Also, one person said that they had heard that I had had affairs with over 120 women. I have not even known that many women even remotly close to being close enough to even consider such activities. There is no limit to a pesons imagination when they do not keep it surrendered to God.

So, I know from personal experince how stories can be spread around that are so far from truth that there is no connection. If anyone repeated any of those stories, they were liabling whoever the story was being told about. The same for anyone elses that such stores are told about.

The Bible talks about a person who brings a false report. Their punishment is to be the punishment that they sought for the one they told the story about. That would certainly slow gossip down quite-a-bit, if that were done today. See Deut 19:16 ff.

Anyhow, such stories are almost a badge of honor. A man that I looked up to and believe that the Lord used him in a mighty way, was charged with haveing an affair with one of his church members. A story I refused to believe. However, some while later, my wife and I were visiting some friends in that church and I asked them about it.

Oh, they said, that woman had accused just about every pastor who had come there who she has not been able to control and get them to do what she wanted done. Besides, if you saw her, no man would want to have anything to do with her sexually. Yet, his ministrial career was close to ruined becasue of that lying report.

Another minister who I knew well was accused of molesting his grandchildren. There was not a speck of truth in it, as he had never even been alone with them. The incident that was cited; all the adults who were there said he was not even around. The DA threw it out.

See, in all of these situations, the one who made those complaints could have been sued for false accusations. However, the ones accused were much better Christians and they would not stoop to that level, much less to the level they were accused of.

But Satan has learned that he can ruin the ministry of those who are being effective against his wiles with these lying reports. So, he has found people who claim to be good Christians, who will be his servantes, just like Eve was willing to be his servant, and bring down even the best who are submitted to doing God's will.

We must just be sure that we do not aid and abet the master accuser in his work. For that is his name: "The accuser of the brethern." See Rev. 12:10

Maranatha :)
Ray

Visit my web site at: www.basicsoftheword.com
God said He hate divorce.
People now days interpret the Bible to say they can divorce for most any convoluted reasons. But God still hates it. As a Christian ... do you want to do what God hates? Personally ... I think God knows what is best for us.
Yes, Divorce is for people who don't want to go along with God's original plan. Same as meat eating. If your commiting adultry with your eyes you need to be aware of it and ask for forgiveness. I think that was the true reason behind Jesus telling us we commit adultry with our eyes as well as with the actual act. Simple answer: Don't get Divorced. If your getting beat daily by an abusive drunk who is faithful to you then maybe you should start a topic called is it right to divorce someone before he kills me. But its a sin to divorce someone because you have grown tired of them. We are meant to stay together until death. That is the original plan. But as we all know God's original plan has been trampled on by Satan. We are not a perfect people and we do make mistakes. Divorce, murder, adultry, worshipping idols or on a different day than the sabbath. eating animals are all forms of Satan's handywork. Pray and read your Bibles daily and watch your diet. These things ties the hands of the devil.
"If your getting beat daily by an abusive drunk who is faithful to you then maybe you should start a topic called is it right to divorce someone before he kills me." Well, for what it's worth, under such circumstances, divorce to me seems reasonable. As a matter of principle, I think God believes in marriage and where it is not life threatening or emotionally destructive, I think He promotes it. But I don't think God endorses violence of any sort or the continued display of that. Satan fought against the Son of God and was put out of heaven. Imagine if he had been allowed to stay?!............
"Therefore what God has joined together, let no MAN put asunder..."

Mrs. Woods is obliged to forgive!

God hates divorce, period!
Hello Bro. and Sis. in Christ the issue of Divorce as been a soar point in the world and in the church today.I must first say that i thank every one that add their reply so far and this shows me that these issues should be raised in the church so that people can understand what God is really saying about these issues. First i must say i clearly ask what the bible says about it. Matt.19:7-9 clearly states what God says about divorce and E.G.W. In the book TESTIMONY ON SEXUAL BEHAVIOUR ADULTERY AND DIVORCE page 78-79 give a clear statement on this topic .It is through obedience that we can truly serve God,as the bible tell it is impossible to please God without faith. We have to depend on God to lead our lives so that when we are tempted we can run to him for help........ God bless you all.
Marriage is a holy covenant that symbolizes the relationship between Christ and his bride ( his followers).
Most Christians teach that divorce is to be seen only as a last resort after every possible effort toward reconciliation has failed.
Just as the Bible teaches us to enter into marriage carefully and reverently, divorce is to be avoided at all costs. Honoring and upholding the marriage vows brings honor and glory to God.

We should also put in mind that true love is patient, kind, It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance..(1 Cor 13:4-7) And that's exactly how Christ shows his love for us even if most of the times we are unfaithful. Shouldn't we do exactly the same to our unfaithful spouses!
Thanks John! My question is; What if that "unfaithful person" asks for forgivesness, what does the bible tell us to do?
Gabriel what do you mean by "to much religion??????"
Gabriel

However, when we take that position, then we are doing two things.

1. We are claiming that God is not able to make a saint out of a sinner. The same claim Satan has made. See Hebrews 8.

2. We tell God that when we make a mistake that we will never stop making that mistake, so don't bother to forgive us. Do we really want to put ourselves in that position? See Matthew 6:14, 15

When Jesus was asked how many times to forgive, didn't He say something about seventy time seven? That is a whole lot of times. See Matthew 18:20 ff.

One other thing. Sin is against God, not against us. The Psalmist said that when we sin, it is against God, even in the case of adultery and murder. See Psalm 51:4

Maybe it would be well if we had some second thoughts about this subject.

Maranatha :)
Ray

Visit my web site at: www.basicsoftheword.com
" Love and forgiveness should be shown and demonstrated towards the guilty person, but the innocent isn't obligated to stay in the marriage especially if adultery is the reason. I say move on to someone who truly loves, honors, and respects you! Old things are passed away, behold I make all things new. II Cor. 5:17 "

Amen!

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by