Adventist Online

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT DIVORCE?

Views: 291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh yes ... but you continue to miss the point that just because He allows it ... does not mean that it is HIS will.

And you still have not shown me scripture that Jesus loves divorce. The ball is in your court.
Yes Thanks Gabe. Marriage is serious business and it is for lifetime.
Okay ... if I am 'free' should I go out and commit murder. Should I lie cheat and steal? Where do you draw the line. The commandments still apply whether you think you are 'free' or not. My premise is anchored in the Word. HIS Word.

Just because many have hardened hearts ... does not mean that we as SDA Christians have to have the same kind of hearts.
Yes Gabe. Separating yourself from that situation would be good.
I certainly do believe in the 'rights' of the innocent. Never questioned them. But, we are called to be above that and beyond that. We are called to not question God's abilitites to help us forgive and to reconcile and to change people.

I for one will not limit the power of God to change lives.
Malachi 2:16 says, "I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel, "and I hate a man's covering himself [a] with violence as well as with his garment," says the LORD Almighty.
So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith.

Sorry... some may take offense at me quoting from the New International Version. Don't stone me.

Here is the KJV: For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

Putting away - the same thing Joseph was going to do to Mary in the Book of Matthew. It is a term that generally means "to divorce"

When challenges are given, all you have to do is go to Biblegateway.com for your proof texts. It's not hard, people. ;)

-----

Deuteronomy 24

1When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.

2And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.

3And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;

4Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

---

Have fun discussing this one.

Ezra 10

1Now when Ezra had prayed, and when he had confessed, weeping and casting himself down before the house of God, there assembled unto him out of Israel a very great congregation of men and women and children: for the people wept very sore.

2And Shechaniah the son of Jehiel, one of the sons of Elam, answered and said unto Ezra, We have trespassed against our God, and have taken strange wives of the people of the land: yet now there is hope in Israel concerning this thing.

3Now therefore let us make a covenant with our God to put away all the wives, and such as are born of them, according to the counsel of my lord, and of those that tremble at the commandment of our God; and let it be done according to the law.

4Arise; for this matter belongeth unto thee: we also will be with thee: be of good courage, and do it.

5Then arose Ezra, and made the chief priests, the Levites, and all Israel, to swear that they should do according to this word. And they sware.

6Then Ezra rose up from before the house of God, and went into the chamber of Johanan the son of Eliashib: and when he came thither, he did eat no bread, nor drink water: for he mourned because of the transgression of them that had been carried away.

7And they made proclamation throughout Judah and Jerusalem unto all the children of the captivity, that they should gather themselves together unto Jerusalem;

8And that whosoever would not come within three days, according to the counsel of the princes and the elders, all his substance should be forfeited, and himself separated from the congregation of those that had been carried away.

9Then all the men of Judah and Benjamin gathered themselves together unto Jerusalem within three days. It was the ninth month, on the twentieth day of the month; and all the people sat in the street of the house of God, trembling because of this matter, and for the great rain.

10And Ezra the priest stood up, and said unto them, Ye have transgressed, and have taken strange wives, to increase the trespass of Israel.

11Now therefore make confession unto the LORD God of your fathers, and do his pleasure: and separate yourselves from the people of the land, and from the strange wives.

12Then all the congregation answered and said with a loud voice, As thou hast said, so must we do.

13But the people are many, and it is a time of much rain, and we are not able to stand without, neither is this a work of one day or two: for we are many that have transgressed in this thing.

14Let now our rulers of all the congregation stand, and let all them which have taken strange wives in our cities come at appointed times, and with them the elders of every city, and the judges thereof, until the fierce wrath of our God for this matter be turned from us.

15Only Jonathan the son of Asahel and Jahaziah the son of Tikvah were employed about this matter: and Meshullam and Shabbethai the Levite helped them.

16And the children of the captivity did so. And Ezra the priest, with certain chief of the fathers, after the house of their fathers, and all of them by their names, were separated, and sat down in the first day of the tenth month to examine the matter.

----

Leviticus 20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Nothing says "divorce" better than the death penalty. Very messy, but at least there are no lawyer fees and no papers to sign.

----

Proverbs 6: 32 But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul.

33 A wound and dishonour shall he get; and his reproach shall not be wiped away.

----

Matt. 5:31, 32 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

----

Matthew 19

1And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these sayings, he departed from Galilee, and came into the coasts of Judaea beyond Jordan;

2And great multitudes followed him; and he healed them there.

3The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?

4And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

7They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

8He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

9And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

10His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

11But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

12For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

----

Leviticus 20:7-24 7 " 'Consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am the LORD your God. 8 Keep my decrees and follow them. I am the LORD, who makes you holy. [b]

9 " 'If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother, and his blood will be on his own head.

10 " 'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.

11 " 'If a man sleeps with his father's wife, he has dishonored his father. Both the man and the woman must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

12 " 'If a man sleeps with his daughter-in-law, both of them must be put to death. What they have done is a perversion; their blood will be on their own heads.

13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

14 " 'If a man marries both a woman and her mother, it is wicked. Both he and they must be burned in the fire, so that no wickedness will be among you.

15 " 'If a man has sexual relations with an animal, he must be put to death, and you must kill the animal.

16 " 'If a woman approaches an animal to have sexual relations with it, kill both the woman and the animal. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

17 " 'If a man marries his sister, the daughter of either his father or his mother, and they have sexual relations, it is a disgrace. They must be cut off before the eyes of their people. He has dishonored his sister and will be held responsible.

18 " 'If a man lies with a woman during her monthly period and has sexual relations with her, he has exposed the source of her flow, and she has also uncovered it. Both of them must be cut off from their people.

19 " 'Do not have sexual relations with the sister of either your mother or your father, for that would dishonor a close relative; both of you would be held responsible.

20 " 'If a man sleeps with his aunt, he has dishonored his uncle. They will be held responsible; they will die childless.

21 " 'If a man marries his brother's wife, it is an act of impurity; he has dishonored his brother. They will be childless.

22 " 'Keep all my decrees and laws and follow them, so that the land where I am bringing you to live may not vomit you out. 23 You must not live according to the customs of the nations I am going to drive out before you. Because they did all these things, I abhorred them. 24 But I said to you, "You will possess their land; I will give it to you as an inheritance, a land flowing with milk and honey." I am the LORD your God, who has set you apart from the nations.
Thank you James. There is no question ... God hates divorce. The only question that remains is ... why would we do it even if it is 'allowed' ... if God hates it?
Question 1. Malachi 2:16

My mom and dad divorced in 1973. Later on, my mom told me that it was God's will. That will screw a kid up, especially after I read that verse a week or two earlier.

Question 2: Divorce was only for people who were the victims of adultery. The penalty for adultery, those caught in the act of cheating on their husbands or wives, was death by stoning. It is addressed in the Ten Commandments, "Thou shalt not commit adultery", and again in the civil code in Leviticus.

Question 3: Christians are still human, and we crumble under pain. No one feels as lonely or isolated as a spouse who has discovered that the significant other has cheated, thus destroying the marriage. The two were brought together as one. When the cheat is discovered, I have been told, it feels as if one's soul has been ripped in half. One woman I met a few years ago told me of how she reacted to reading the divorce papers she received. She collapsed on the kitchen floor, sick at her stomach, feeling as if half her life had been ripped away, like the tearing of paper, but more violent. It takes a long time for a person to recover from that level of pain.

I also know one woman who discovered her husband was cheating on her. She put up an ultimatum, her or me, and fought to save her marriage. Not every Christian has this level of fire, determination, and courage. But the husband's cheating really screwed up their children.
Malachi 2:15

Matthew 19:8 of just read from 1-12 if you choose.
I could be reading this wrong. But you appear to be happy about this.
As I said beforeI dis agree because I was married at one point and I was not in the sda church but I was in the Sunday church but I did still get married to a woman that I thought would do what was right and come to find out she beat on me mentally and physically and then she committed adultery on me three times and told me she did not love me anymore.now I might have tried to rectify things with her again but the last time I went to her apartment just to see her she said she can't see anybody it is because she was being treated the same way that she was treating me and she was scared but my hands are tied and I could not do anything but just file the divorce papers. For this reason I am saying be careful how you judge others when they get their divorce because they may be in certain situations you have no knowledge of. and yes God did allow for those that have the spouse that has committed adultery to get a divorce. and thats just what I did because I tried to get her to reconcile and she never did she kept o and so I did what was This was hard for me and it still is because I get people that say I should have tried to get her back but 1 I do not know were she lives 2 I am not going through that again and 3 what type of person stays were he or she is being beaten physically and spiritually or even mentally and then is finding her or his spouse rolling on the floor when they get home or even sees hickeys that are not yours or comes and walk in while hey are having sex with another woman or man in your house in your bed no your not going to find me going back and know I will find some one that will love me because I have had been in that situation to much to be treated were I was not wanted. the bibble gave us this option and I am not going to try if the other party is not willing to try and when they tell you to your face they want a divorce and tell you I do not love you anymore then I hink it is time to file because thats what has happened to me
for me im not agree or in favor of divorce marraige is a sacred vows and God join them no one can separate them....like if she cheated and ask forgiveness then forgive if she do it again and ask forgiveness then forgive again...

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service