Adventist Online

Extracts from a letter written to a physician from Stanmore, Sydney, N. S. W., July 26, 1896 The perfection of Christian character is attainable. As we approach the close of this earth's history, we will find that the whole world is becoming a lazar house of disease. The transgression of the law of God is bringing the sure result.

I present the word of Lord God of Israel. Because of transgression, the curse of God has come upon the earth itself, upon the cattle and upon all flesh. Human beings are suffering the result of their own course of action in departing from the commandments of God. The beasts also suffer from under the curse.

Meat-eating should not come into the prescriptions for any invalids from any physician from among those who understand these things. Disease in cattle is making meat-eating a dangerous matter. The Lord's curse upon the earth, upon man, upon beasts, upon the fish of the sea; and as transgression becomes almost universal, the curse will be permitted to become as broad and as deep as the transgression. Disease is contracted by the use of meat. The diseased flesh of these dead carcasses is sold in the market places, and disease among men is the sure result.
A Change Must Come

The Lord would bring His people into a position where they will not touch or taste the flesh of dead animals. Then let none of these things be prescribed by any physician who has a knowledge of the truth for this time. There is no safety in the eating of the flesh of the dead animals. . . . Those who take God at His word, and obey His commands with their whole heart, will be blessed. He will be their shield and protection. But the Lord will not be trifled with. Distrust, disobedience and alienation from God's will and way will place the sinner in a position where the Lord

Let Meat Entirely Alone

Again I refer to the diet question. We cannot now do as we have ventured to do in the past in regard to meat-eating. It has always been a curse to the human family, but now it is made particularly so in the curse which God has pronounced upon the herds of the field, because of man's transgression and sins. The disease upon animals is becoming more and more common, and our only safety now is in leaving meat entirely alone. The most aggravated diseases are now prevalent, and the very last thing that physicians who are enlightened should do, is to advise patients to eat meat. It is in eating meat so largely in the country that men and women are becoming demoralized, their blood corrupted. and disease planted in their systems.

Because of meat-eating, many die, and they do not understand the cause.
If the truth were known, it would bear the testimony it was the flesh of animals that passed through death. The thought of feeding upon dead flesh is repulsive, but there is something in meat-eating: we partake of diseased, dead flesh, and this sows it seeds of corruption in the human organism. (Signed) Ellen White.

Views: 359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amen brother, amen. SOmetimes we get caught up in what she did or did not do that we forget that the ONLY one we should look to for an example is Jesus himself. If any of us feels the need to become vegan, then he will follow that alone,without trying to change the world. If God wanted us to be vegans, he would have left it written clearly in the Bible. Instead we find a list of what we can and cannot eat. God said nothing is going to be changed from the Bible therefore, if it is not in the Bible it does not come from GOD. The Spirit of Prophecy in the form of EGW writings are to extend on what the Bible teaches, things were not changed, if it is in the SOP it must also be in the Bible or it is not coming from God, my opinion.
Actually, Adam and Eve were vegans, and that is in the Bible, along with the fact that we will be vegans on the new earth. But I don't like it when people try to reform other people's diets.
thats not the pint, you missed it.She is saying meat eating has become like smoking, a sure destroyer of one's health. I am not a vegan because Ellen White was one, although anyone who obeys the Lord is a good example.
Why does it matter what Ellen White ate?
"I have not had meat in my house for years. But do not give up the use of meat because Sister White does not eat it. I would not give a farthing for your health reform if that is what it is based upon. I want you to stand in your individual dignity and in your individual consecration before God.--Manuscript 43, 1901."

1. As a general rule, she did not eat meat.
2. WHAT ELLEN WHITE ATE DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is what God wants you to eat.

Okay?

Great Post Travis. I will give you even more than a pint for this one.
You do have a point Travis. What matters is what God thinks. Sometimes He sends us individuals to help us understand.....
So... we don't need to know what God thinks?
Chap. 1 - Reasons for Reform
Council of Foods and Diet, EGW, 1938

Choice of Life or Death

Every man/women has the opportunity, to a great extent, of making himself/herself whatever he/she chooses to be. The blessings of this life, and also of the immortal state, are within his reach. He may build up a character of solid worth, gaining new strength at every step. He may advance daily in knowledge and wisdom, conscious of new delights as he progresses, adding virtue to virtue, grace to grace. His faculties will improve by use; the more wisdom he gains, the greater will be his capacity for acquiring. His intelligence, knowledge, and virtue will thus develop into greater strength and more perfect symmetry. {CD 15.3}

On the other hand, he may allow his powers to rust out for want of use, or to be perverted through evil habits, lack of self-control, or moral and religious stamina. His course then tends downward; he is disobedient to the law of God and to the laws of health. Appetite conquers him; inclination carries him away. It is easier for him to allow the powers of evil, which are always active, to drag him backward, than to struggle against them, and go forward. Dissipation, disease, and death follow. This is the history of many lives that might have been useful in the cause of God and humanity. {CD 15.4}

(1900) 6T 369, 370
10. Since the laws of nature are the laws of God, it is plainly our duty to give these laws careful study. We should study their requirements in regard to our own bodies, and conform to them. Ignorance in these things is sin. [WILLFUL IGNORANCE INCREASES SIN--53] {CD 18.2}

"Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ?" "What! know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's." 1 Cor. 6:15, 19, 20. Our bodies are Christ's purchased property, and we are not at liberty to do with them as we please. Man has done this. He has treated his body as if its laws had no penalty. Through perverted appetite its organs and powers have become enfeebled, diseased, and crippled. And these results which Satan has brought about by his own specious temptations, he uses to taunt God with. He presents before God the human body that Christ has purchased as His property; and what an unsightly representation of his Maker man is! Because man has sinned against his body, and has corrupted his ways, God is dishonored. {CD 18.3}

When men and women are truly converted, they will conscientiously regard the laws of life that God has established in their being, thus seeking to avoid physical, mental, and moral feebleness. Obedience to these laws must be made a matter of personal duty. We ourselves must suffer the ills of violated law. We must answer to God for our habits and practices. Therefore, the question for us is not, "What will the world say?" but, "How shall I, claiming to be a Christian, treat the habitation God has given me? Shall I work for my highest temporal and spiritual good by keeping my body as a temple for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, or shall I sacrifice myself to the world's ideas and practices?" {CD 18.4}
Good Post Michael. Some excellent points made. We as a church have much to consider with what you have said. Thanks for expressing these thoughts. It should challenge all of us.
Chap. 1 - Reasons for Reform
Council of Foods and Diet, EGW, 1938

Choice of Life or Death

Every man/women has the opportunity, to a great extent, of making himself/herself whatever he/she chooses to be. The blessings of this life, and also of the immortal state, are within his reach. He may build up a character of solid worth, gaining new strength at every step. He may advance daily in knowledge and wisdom, conscious of new delights as he progresses, adding virtue to virtue, grace to grace. His faculties will improve by use; the more wisdom he gains, the greater will be his capacity for acquiring. His intelligence, knowledge, and virtue will thus develop into greater strength and more perfect symmetry. {CD 15.3}

On the other hand, he may allow his powers to rust out for want of use, or to be perverted through evil habits, lack of self-control, or moral and religious stamina. His course then tends downward; he is disobedient to the law of God and to the laws of health. Appetite conquers him; inclination carries him away. It is easier for him to allow the powers of evil, which are always active, to drag him backward, than to struggle against them, and go forward. Dissipation, disease, and death follow. This is the history of many lives that might have been useful in the cause of God and humanity. {CD 15.4}

(1900) 6T 369, 370
10. Since the laws of nature are the laws of God, it is plainly our duty to give these laws careful study. We should study their requirements in regard to our own bodies, and conform to them. Ignorance in these things is sin. [WILLFUL IGNORANCE INCREASES SIN--53] {CD 18.2}

"Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ?" "What! know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's." 1 Cor. 6:15, 19, 20. Our bodies are Christ's purchased property, and we are not at liberty to do with them as we please. Man has done this. He has treated his body as if its laws had no penalty. Through perverted appetite its organs and powers have become enfeebled, diseased, and crippled. And these results which Satan has brought about by his own specious temptations, he uses to taunt God with. He presents before God the human body that Christ has purchased as His property; and what an unsightly representation of his Maker man is! Because man has sinned against his body, and has corrupted his ways, God is dishonored. {CD 18.3}

When men and women are truly converted, they will conscientiously regard the laws of life that God has established in their being, thus seeking to avoid physical, mental, and moral feebleness. Obedience to these laws must be made a matter of personal duty. We ourselves must suffer the ills of violated law. We must answer to God for our habits and practices. Therefore, the question for us is not, "What will the world say?" but, "How shall I, claiming to be a Christian, treat the habitation God has given me? Shall I work for my highest temporal and spiritual good by keeping my body as a temple for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, or shall I sacrifice myself to the world's ideas and practices?" {CD 18.4}
Well without getting too theological about the matter, sml, I am reminded of a case that illustrates the wisdom of following God's suggestion. He (God) of course is always, the consummate gentleman. Perhaps that is why I have such profound admiration for Who He is and what He says.

Well the story is about a gentleman and I think three friends who were once brought to the palace of a king. Noticeably they were different in a good way and so their host decided they should be groomed for positions of note and authority. Well, the one decided he was going to risk the good graces of the king by eating the diet God had advised and the overseer, thou dubious at the start as to whether this could possibly yield a good outcome (for his head was liable to be served on a platter) lol, opted to go with the plan. The request of this admirable character was based on his wish to not "defile himself with the king's meat". Well you know the story, at the end of ten days, he and his companions were found in all matters of wisdom and understanding, ten times better than all the astrologers and wise men in the realm. And fairer I might add. sml. Daniel chap 1.

There is no doubt in my mind that what we put in our bodies has a direct relationship to our physical health and mental acuity. That foods now a days are to some degree impacted by fertilizers, pesticides etc. does not mean that the principle no longer stands. God gave these instructions as a guide which if followed I believe enhances and preserves to a greater degree our well being. I think the seven ingredients that EGW talks about expands on other elements also beneficial in promoting good health. What are those exactly: trust in divine power, rest, sunshine, temperance, water, exercise .....could someone help me out here. sml.

Ok, so my point is that every attempt to honor God, "whatsoever ye eat, or drink or whatsoever ye do, doing all to His glory" brings untold blessings in it's wake. I wouldn't try to second guess God about this. sml. He really does know far more than I do and too, research has amply verified the benefits of such practices.

So I will trust the One who wrote the Owners manual for I am fearfully and wonderfully made! sml.
So basically:
1. Bible people ate meat
2. God did not correct them
3. Meat is healthy

I don't think that the meat of free-range, healthy animals in Bible times should be compared to the genetically manipulated, hormone-injected, disease-ridden meats we have today. Meat may have been, for the most part, unobjectionable then, but the Bible says nothing about meats always being good for food. Ellen White had no problem with eating eggs from healthy chickens (which would be the ones that most people don't get anymore), but she said that eventually we would have to discard animal products because they will be too unhealthy.

Whatever the reasons Daniel chose not to eat the king's food, the fact is that 10 days on simple vegetables made him healthier than any of the other captives. That alone shows how powerful plant foods are. Regardless of what he ate later (though I'm sure he didn't eat anything unclean), Daniel shows how vegetarianism is the healthier choice.

I don't agree with the implication that "since the foods we have today are probably much different than the ones Adam and Eve ate anyway (which none of us knows), we can't know that a plant-based diet is best for us". The Bible says that Adam and Eve ate fruits, grains, and nuts, and after the tree of life was gone they ate vegetables too. It seems that God has preserved the variety of foods that they ate, and even if the forms have changed, plants still provide superior nutrition to meat.

The world has changed since Bible times. If we're going to go along with "if they ate it, we can/should eat it", then we might as well dress and speak like them too. God has given us a health message through a prophet, which says that vegetarianism is the best choice, in agreement with the diet of Adam and Eve.

I'm not saying that you MUST STOP EATING MEAT RIGHT NOW OR YOU'LL BE LOST, but it bugs me when people try to get out of being healthy. It's like if someone gave you a present and you asked if you MUST take it.
Again, when did we decide that the world (and meat, to be more specific) is just the same as it was four thousand years ago?

I somehow doubt they pump hormones even into non-organic plant foods and cramp them together in warehouses so that they get all sorts of communicable diseases. Just a guess, though.

The Bible says that we will eat fruit. I think we all know what that is.

I wouldn't say "absolutely healthy". Plenty of studies have shown that meat-eating diets are not as healthy as plant-based diets. Not to mention the fact that meat is getting worse and worse as far as quality and purity. I'm not saying that the same isn't happening to plant foods (GMO, anyone?), but plants are still much healthier, especially organic ones.

Consider this: the meat people eat is destroying their health (more often than not), destroying the lives of animals, and destroying the earth (we'd have a lot more food if we weren't processing the life out of it and feeding it to sick animals).

I believe that bad food can affect our minds, which can affect our decisions, our character, and, if we continue down the wrong roads, our salvation. I would consider it better to follow the ideal and avoid the problems that unhealthy diets can cause to our physical, mental, and spiritual health.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service