Adventist Online

Extracts from a letter written to a physician from Stanmore, Sydney, N. S. W., July 26, 1896 The perfection of Christian character is attainable. As we approach the close of this earth's history, we will find that the whole world is becoming a lazar house of disease. The transgression of the law of God is bringing the sure result.

I present the word of Lord God of Israel. Because of transgression, the curse of God has come upon the earth itself, upon the cattle and upon all flesh. Human beings are suffering the result of their own course of action in departing from the commandments of God. The beasts also suffer from under the curse.

Meat-eating should not come into the prescriptions for any invalids from any physician from among those who understand these things. Disease in cattle is making meat-eating a dangerous matter. The Lord's curse upon the earth, upon man, upon beasts, upon the fish of the sea; and as transgression becomes almost universal, the curse will be permitted to become as broad and as deep as the transgression. Disease is contracted by the use of meat. The diseased flesh of these dead carcasses is sold in the market places, and disease among men is the sure result.
A Change Must Come

The Lord would bring His people into a position where they will not touch or taste the flesh of dead animals. Then let none of these things be prescribed by any physician who has a knowledge of the truth for this time. There is no safety in the eating of the flesh of the dead animals. . . . Those who take God at His word, and obey His commands with their whole heart, will be blessed. He will be their shield and protection. But the Lord will not be trifled with. Distrust, disobedience and alienation from God's will and way will place the sinner in a position where the Lord

Let Meat Entirely Alone

Again I refer to the diet question. We cannot now do as we have ventured to do in the past in regard to meat-eating. It has always been a curse to the human family, but now it is made particularly so in the curse which God has pronounced upon the herds of the field, because of man's transgression and sins. The disease upon animals is becoming more and more common, and our only safety now is in leaving meat entirely alone. The most aggravated diseases are now prevalent, and the very last thing that physicians who are enlightened should do, is to advise patients to eat meat. It is in eating meat so largely in the country that men and women are becoming demoralized, their blood corrupted. and disease planted in their systems.

Because of meat-eating, many die, and they do not understand the cause.
If the truth were known, it would bear the testimony it was the flesh of animals that passed through death. The thought of feeding upon dead flesh is repulsive, but there is something in meat-eating: we partake of diseased, dead flesh, and this sows it seeds of corruption in the human organism. (Signed) Ellen White.

Views: 350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello & good morning Brother
The way you have stated it is the way that I see it also. I'm currently waiting for a reference from a Brother concerning this matter that stated that it was not so.

Sincecerly
To answer the question ... YES. And Ellen White did also. Here's a statement written the same year as the above letter:

"I use fish when I can get it. We get beautiful fish from the salt water lake near here." Letter 128 1896
Hello my Brother,
What manuscript or Ilustrated Writings did this Letter dated Letter 128 1896, come from? Now remember ......that " Spiritual Light" was given to Sis. White at various times & her view point on things changed. So could you please send me the exact location that you got this Quote from. I look forward to viewing it.

Thanks!
Her health reform vision against meat was in 1863.

In 1869 ... "I have not changed my course a particle since I adopted the health reform. I have not taken one step back since the light from heaven upon this subject first shone upon my pathway. I broke away from everything at once, from meat and butter, and from three meals. ....I left off those things from principle. I took my stand on health reform from principle."

In 1870:"No butter or flesh-meats of any kind come on my table." Testimonies, Vol. 2, p. 487

IN 1873 She ate duck. See Manuscript 12, 1873

"A few weeks after the duck eating experience in the Rockies in October 1873, Elder and Mrs. White were in California and she on February 15, 1874, reported that since they had been in that state they had dropped meat entirely, having "bought meat once for May Walling while she was sick, but not a penny have we expended for meat since."--Letter 12, 1874, p. 1. {7MR 346.4}

Yet, in 1876 she calmly talks about eating salmon a number of times at home while her husband was gone. Check this out in MR vol 14 p.336

1878 ... "Christmas morning we all took breakfast together--James Cornell; Florence and Clara, their two girls; Brother and Sister Moore and their three children; Sister Bahler and Etta, a girl living with them; and Sister Daniells, our cook, Father, and myself. We had a quarter of venison cooked, and stuffing. It was as tender as a chicken. We all enjoyed it very much. There is plenty of venison in market." 14MR 318

1882 she asked her daughter in law "If you can get me a good box of herrings, fresh ones, please do so. These last ones that Willie got are bitter and old. ... If you can get a few cans of good oysters, get them" Letter 16 1882

In 1894 she had a reconversion about meat and stated "Since the camp meeting at Brighton (January 1894) I have absolutely banished meat from my table" CDF 88

Again in 1894 she stated "But when the selfishness of taking lives of animals to gratify a perverted appetite was presented to me by a Catholic woman, kneeling at my feet, I felt ashamed and distressed ... I said 'I will no longer patronize the butcher, I will not have the flesh of corpses on my table'" Test p. 38

In 1895 she asked her son to buy some "dried codfish and dried fish of ANY description --- nothing canned". Letter 149

1896 "I use fish when I can get it. We get beautiful fish from the salt water lake near here." Letter 128 1896

Mrs. White "forbade the eating of meat, . . . yet secretly she herself ate meat more or less most of her life."

D. M. Canright, Life of Mrs. E. G. White (Cincinnati: Standard Publishing Company, 1919), 289.

"If you have not got any better conviction--you won't eat meat because Sister White does not eat any--if I am the authority, I would not give a farthing for your health reform." Ms 43a, 1901, p. 13. ("Talk of Mrs. E. G. White, Before Representative Brethren, in the [Battle Creek] College Library, April 1, 1901.
Mrs. White wasn't perfect - but statements like this bother me, especially unclean foods (oysters, duck). I have my own belief on the subject, but openess to these things is necessary. We can't hide our heads in the sand and pretend that all is OK with everything Mrs. White wrote.
Ducks are clean...

You may now continue with the conversation...
So is the dead deer corpse that she ate in 1878 on Christmas morning with friends and family. Some 15 years after her vision on health. But it was as "tender as chicken".
4him, you said many times on this forum that you had made it your mission to guard the writings of "our prophet"!!! Now why would you have a burden to protect her writings if you think she was a hypocrite? I can't figure that one out. And you know, I would not give a straw for the quotes you have brought forward. I am very skeptifcal of these quotes. I dont believe she ever wrote these quotes in which she says she is eating meat, fish, poultry, ect etc especially after so many years after she received the light on health reform.

sky
Why don't you look up the references then and settle it?

And just so you don't start accusing me too, ellenwhiteanswers.org has some good articles explaining the quotes about Ellen White eating meat.
Sky. Casting doubt on the words of our prophet while predicted .... does not help your case. Like Tarvis said ... just look them up and believe. Our prophet had some pretty stern words for those that reject the Testimonies.

It is very important to guard the words of our prophet. Some will try to modify them for their own purpose. I feel it is important to preserve the accuracy of them so that we can decide which words were given by God and which ones were just her words.

For those who would make EGW a perfect saint .... these quotes are disturbing. But to me it is important to show she was human with addictions just like the rest of us.
Hello my Brother
If you look closely at the BIBLE Quilification of Clean & Un clean foods.... DUCKS & TURKEYS are not qualified as a CLEAN Flesh Foods?
That's because they didn't have them where the Bible was written. Unclean birds are scavengers (and bats!). Chickens and turkeys are not scavengers (or bats).

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service