Adventist Online

It has been said by many, and Scripture itself says it, that there are many secrets hidden in God's Word. Indeed it is true. Over the past year God has revealed many things to me. One of them is that Adam represents Christ and Eve the church. I thought I would post this up in the general discussion board to see if anyone else might have something to say on it. You can read the following verses and let me know if you see what I see. God bless.

Genesis 2:18-25 (KJV)
18And the LORD God said, [It is] not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. 

19And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought [them] unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that [was] the name thereof.

20And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

21And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

22And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

23And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

24Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

25And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Genesis 3:1-7 (KJV)
1Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

2And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:

3But of the fruit of the tree which [is] in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

4And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

5For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

6And when the woman saw that the tree [was] good for food, and that it [was] pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make [one] wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

7And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they [were] naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Carlos

The verses that you posted, to some would not show that "Adam represents Christ and Eve the church".

However, it is said to be just that.  The Holy Spirit would have to show you that.  It is also said that Jesus is the 2nd Adam.

It is said "where Adam failed, Jesus did not fail".

Adam fail at being temted with appetite, where Jesus won.

Christ as a Second Adam
What a contrast the second Adam presented as He entered the gloomy wilderness to cope with Satan single-handed.

Since the fall, the race had been decreasing in size and physical strength, and sinking lower in the scale of moral worth, up to the period of Christ's advent to the earth.

In order to elevate fallen man, Christ must reach him where he was.

He took human nature, and bore the infirmities and degeneracy of the race.

He who knew no sin became sin for us.

He humiliated Himself to the lowest depths of human woe, that He might be qualified to reach man and bring him up from the degradation in which sin had plunged him. {Con 32.3}

Satan had been at war with the government of God since he first rebelled.

His success in tempting Adam and Eve in Eden, and introducing sin into the world, had emboldened this arch foe;
and he had proudly boasted to the heavenly angels that when Christ should appear, taking man's nature, He would be weaker than himself, and that he would overcome Him by his power. {Con 33.5}

He exulted that Adam and Eve, in Eden, could not resist his insinuations when he appealed to their appetite. The inhabitants of the old world he overcame in the same manner, through the indulgence of lustful appetite, and corrupt passions.

Through the gratification of appetite, he had overthrown the Israelites.

He boasted that the Son of God Himself, ....was not able to resist his power, and lead the favored people of His choice to Canaan;
for nearly all who left Egypt died in the wilderness;
also, that he had tempted the meek man Moses, to take to himself, glory which God claimed.

David and Solomon, who had been especially favored of God, he had induced through the indulgence of appetite and passion to incur God's displeasure.

And he boasted that he could yet succeed in thwarting the purpose of God in the salvation of man through Jesus Christ. {Con 33.6}

As for Eve being the FIRST church.

"But I fear lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." 2 Cor. 11:3

Nothing is so demoralizing, so enfeebling to the church, as to have her individual members obtain a burden upon this false sanctification, which leads them away from the simplicity of the gospel of Christ. Satan always leads this class away from the church, and leads them to regard the church far behind them in spirituality and experience. The power and glory of God is revealed in his church. Here God gives the blessings of his grace. Here he reveals the mysteries of his will. {ST, October 23, 1879 par. 9}

Adam, as a member of the church, per sa, was bequiled by her, the false church. That is a serious study, to long for this forum.

May God continue to bless your studies.

Maranatha!

18And the LORD God said, [It is] not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.19And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought [them] unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that [was] the name thereof.20And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.21And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;22And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.23And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.24Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.25And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Genesis 3:1-8 (KJV)

1Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?2And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:3But of the fruit of the tree which [is] in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.4And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:5For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.6And when the woman saw that the tree [was] good for food, and that it [was] pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make [one] wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.7And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they [were] naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.8And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.

Thank you, Anthony, for your reply. I realize that one can not conclude that Adam represents Jesus and Eve the church just from the verses I gave above. But, now that I have a little more time to do so, I'll give a more detailed explanation as well as list the verses that led me to believe that Adam represents Christ and Eve the church.

Now. For me, this study began with a study of Matthew 25:31-46. The parable of the sheep and the goats. I was studying, in specific, the naked, who they are, what nakedness is and how we cloth them (Matthew 25:36). I decided that I needed to go to the beginning, to the fall of man. I started in Genesis 2:18-25.

18And the LORD God said, [It is] not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.19And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought [them] unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that [was] the name thereof.20And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.21And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;22And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.23And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.24Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.25And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

There are several things that stand out but I couldn't get past verse 25. "And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed." Adam and Eve, before they fell, were both perfect. So how could they be naked and not ashamed? The thing you have to understand is that nakedness is symbolic of sin. Nakedness is the guiltiness of sin. Shame. I went over it again and again in my head. Two verses came to mind. But before giving them, I went ahead to Genesis 3:6, 7.

6And when the woman saw that the tree [was] good for food, and that it [was] pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make [one] wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.7And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they [were] naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

There are two things that stood out in the above verses. The first is in verse 6. We're told that Eve took of the fruit and ate. Eve then offered of the fruit to her husband. I had mentioned that two verses came to mind. The first is found in 1 Timothy 2:13-15.

13For Adam was first formed, then Eve.14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.15Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

The first important detail is found in verse 14. In verse 13 the names of both were mentioned. But in verse 14, the word "woman" is put in place of her name, "Eve." But Eve and the woman are one and the same. In Ephesians 5:22-33 the relationship between Christ and His church is compared to that of a husband and wife. Eve was Adam's wife. In verse 14 transgression is linked to being deceived. We are told that Adam was not deceived, and we can conclude that if he was not deceived, he was not in transgression. However, Eve having been deceived was in the transgression, or the breaking, of God's law. There's a detail that I noticed just now as I went over these verses that I had not noticed before. In verse 15 we are told that "she," the woman, or Eve, "shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety." "She" is singular while "they" is plural, more than one. That is the same concept that we see in Ephesians 4 about the church being one body (she) and yet made up of multiple members (they). But going back to verse 14 of 1 Timothy 2, we see what Christ did for us, His Church. Christ came to this earth to take our place on the cross. While He walked this earth, He lived out a perfect life. 1 Peter 2:22 tells us that Christ “did no sin.” And yet, as we are told in 2 Corinthians 5:21, Christ was “made...sin for us.” We are guilty of having committed sin, but Christ, having been perfect, took upon Himself our sins. And when the woman saw that the tree [was] good for food, and that it [was] pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make [one] wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. And for anyone who may be wondering about verse 15 which says that the woman “shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.” You may be asking yourself, how does the church give birth? And the answer to that is baptism. Jesus spoke to Nicodemus about this very thing and he, Nicodemus, did not understand how a person could be born again. But he did not understand because it was not a physical birth Jesus spoke of, but a spiritual birth. So, the woman, that is the church, gives birth through baptism.

Now. If we go back to Genesis 2:21-22, there we find a couple more details.

Verse 21 says that “God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam.” That part of the verse struck me when I read it. You'll see why in John 11:11-14.

John 11:11-14 (KJV)

11These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.12Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.13Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.14Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

In the above verses, we see that death is referred to as sleep. And so, when it says that Adam fell into a deep sleep, it's to say that he died. The next detail is found in the same verse, verse 22 of Genesis 2. God took from Adam a rib “and closed up the flesh instead thereof.” I found it interesting that when Jesus died on the cross, we are told in John 19:34 that one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side.” Christ was pierced in the side, the ribs. There is one more detail which is found in verse 22 of Genesis 2. We are told that “the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman.” First, Adam slept, or died. Then, Eve was brought into existence. First, Christ died on the cross. Then the church came into existence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve.” 1 Timothy 2:13. See the parallel? And there's just one more detail that I want to point out to conclude. I've read and heard it said that Genesis tells the story of a lonely God. I even have a book titled “Journal of a Lonely God” which I have not yet read. I never really did understand what was meant by that until I did this study. Genesis 2:18 says the following. “And the LORD God said, [It is] not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.” “Man” in this verse refers to Adam. Adam, as we have already seen, represents Christ. And so we see that God truly is lonely and longs to be with us, His bride. There are so many hidden secrets in God's Word that He's just waiting to reveal to those who are earnestly seeking. I posted this with the hope that others, who perhaps feel a need to get into God's Word more, might be encouraged to do so. God knows us better than we know ourselves. But I guess the real question is, do we know God? Let us search the Scriptures so that we might come to know Him who is lonely and longs for us. God bless.

Good for you Carlos....Points well taken...keep on studying...To God be the Glory

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service