Adventist Online

This might be a silly question, but has anyone felt like Jesus has spoke to you  in prayer and called you by your first and last name? Perhaps to let you know or even assure you that he was speaking specifically to you? I feel that our leaders today don't teach enough about prayer and all it's nuances though they encourage it. Maybe because it's different for everyone( just speculating).  Sometime after I pray I wonder, did God really just speak to me through an inner voice or was that just my thoughts or conscience? Because it does sound a lot like my conscience or inner voice. However, I tend to believe it's God cause the experience  seems concentrated with in the setting of prayer. usually after I have stopped talking and shut up and ask God for answers and then after a while I often (not always) hear God tell me where  I am wrong and where I am right and what he wants.

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

God speaks to us in various ways.  I have heard His voice as plain as if someone were in the room with me.  Then there is the Still small voice of the Holy Spirit.  When my work load was less busy, I would have more time for exercise.  That involved me going and spending time in nature and talking with God.  Sometimes, I would hear that still small voice say, "Come, spend some time with me."  On days like that I would receive object lessons.  For instance when I felt the weight of sin on me, I would pray in my mind to God and confess.  On a day like that, before I could even get the whole confession out, the thought came clearly, "Forgiven."  Over and and over as they came, came the message, "Forgiven."

There there are seasons of prayer at home, when the Holy Spirit enters thickly enough the very presence alters the acoustics of the room and a peace that passes all understanding encompasses all present.

The Holy Spirit speaks to us in different ways, at different times.

If you are praying and hear the Spirit call you by name I have this advice for you:

Psalms 46:10, "He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”

Further,

1 Samuel 3:10, "

The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!”

Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”

Well, I haven't had that experience yet of hearing the audible voice of God. I do hear the still small voice in prayer when I am quiet and listening and sometimes when I am not in prayer, it may tell me "you need to pray" or ' you need to study".  I didn't  quite have the exact experience of Psalm 46 or 1 Samuel 3 , but it seemed that God through that still small voice was saying "I want you to do this Ross Sawyer" once I  did become quiet and was listening.

I think its the Holy Spirit the scripture says...

1 John 4:1

[ On Denying the Incarnation ] Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
I'm going to add that everything that comes from the Holy Spirit directly aligns with the Word of God.
John 14:26, "These things I have spoken to you, while abiding with you. "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.
From experience the Holy Spirit communicates in many ways to people. The Holy Spirit has used my own mouth while I am talking (not meaning to sound possessed, lol) but that the words I spoke were not my original thoughts. The words literally flowed out so smoothly one would not know unless I told them, "the Holy Spirit just ministered that to me". I try to immediately thank the Holy Spirit for using me.
Matt. 10:20, "For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you."
Rom. 8:27, "and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God."
2 Sam. 23:2, "The Spirit of the LORD spoke through me; his word was on my tongue."
The Holy Spirit will cause you to desire things (put things in  your heart), ex. compel you to be compassionate to another person or something.
Matt. 4:1, "Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
Rom. 8:26, "And in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words"
The Holy Spirit has spoken through my husband many times, I didn't like when he communicated through him when I was upset with him though-because I was not always receiving things whole-heartedly.
I could be watching television and receive answers from that, its through conscience and your heart that the Holy Spirit communicates to you.
Several other examples of the Holy Spirit speaking:
  1. Acts 8:29, "And the Spirit said to Philip, "Go up and join this chariot."
  2. Acts 10:19, "And while Peter was reflecting on the vision, the Spirit said to him, "Behold, three men are looking for you."
  3. Acts 11:12, "And the Spirit told me to go with them without misgivings. And these six brethren also went with me, and we entered the man’s house."
  4. Acts 13:2, "And while they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."
  5. Acts 21:11, "And coming to us, he took Paul’s belt and bound his own feet and hands, and said, "This is what the Holy Spirit says: ‘In this way the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’"
  6. Acts 28:25-26, "And when they did not agree with one another, they began leaving after Paul had spoken one parting word, "The Holy Spirit rightly spoke through Isaiah the prophet to your fathers, saying, ‘Go to this people and say, "You will keep on hearing, but will not understand."
  7. 1 Tim. 4:1, "But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,"
  8. Heb. 3:7-8, "Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today if you hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts as when they provoked Me, as in the day of trial in the wilderness,"
  9. Rev. 2:7, "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the Paradise of God."  See also Rev. 2:11,17,29; 3:6,13,22.
  10. Rev. 14:13, "And I heard a voice from heaven, saying, "Write, ‘Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on!’" "Yes," says the Spirit, "that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow with them."
  11. Rev. 22:17, "And the Spirit and the bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost."

I long to hear from the Holy Spirit, its so exciting to be & to feel special enough to be talked to... absolutely beautiful experience.

Sometimes it seems the Holy Spirit has a blow horn, bells and whistles, when the message is being repeated. God loved me so much that when something really bad was about to happen in my life, the Holy Spirit warned me periodically over 1 year in advance!!! I wouldn't have been here today had it not been for the Holy Spirit sticking by my side through it.

God, I'm not worthy... Thanks

Happy Sabbath

1 Corinthians 12:4-11, "

There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines."

I have no idea why the bold frightens Adventists so.  God gave it to me, and I have had to deal with it all of my life.  But, it is like some dark secret that can't be uttered because it frightens the body.

So, much so, that I tried to keep such things from my future wife, a fellow Adventist.

She was in another state, and I was going to move her down to be with me, so we could be married.  I was not going to "know her" in the biblical sense before we were rightfully married.

So, I had to find another apartment.  I found one that worked.  It was a two story and had two separate master suites.  It's own bathroom, bedroom, etc.  Until the day of  the impending marriage, I was not going to have her share my bed.  

The apartment was older.  The stairwell faced the doorway entrance.  The day I moved in, there it was standing at the top of the stairs, that demon staring down at me.  You could not see with human eyes, but I knew it the moment I entered.

It was a process, through the Holy Spirit to reclaim that place as mine.  It knew who I was, and had to need to play the masquerade as a ghost, etc.  It hated me and I hated it.  I cleansed every place through the power of prayer and the Spirit that I could think of, except my sense of propriety got in the way.  I never entered the second bedroom.  It was, in my mind, not mine, but would be where my fiancee would live until we made things honest in God's eyes.

Because of the Adventist fear of this gift, I did not mention any of this to her.  I worked shift work.  I was at work one night when she called my on my cell phone.  "She said, can you please come home?"

I answered that I could not, I was deep out into the field, and you just couldn't roll into the station and tell them your were done for the night.

She pleaded, "There is something walking around on the stairwell, and it's calling my name, I am scared."

That was the day, we had to have a frank conversation about what most Adventists are terrified to talk about, the  spiritual world and war.  Angels and demons walk among us.  That was one that was persistent and could only be removed by prayer rather than simply reproving it in the name of Christ.

I know the difference between God's voice and the evil one.  There is no comparison whatsoever.  I have dealt with the demon possessed through prayer.

I remember an incident in college where there was an evil spirit that was in a lonely part of an older part of the library.  It sat there waiting for victims to enter its influence to impress them with a feeling of depression and suicide.  I had already lost people I had known to suicide.  It was something that could not be tolerated.  A fellow Christian and I determined to return the next day to put an end to this through the power of Christ.  Another friend who once believed, and then got into science and became a skeptic determined he wanted to go out of a sense of smugness.  He was warned it was not joke, though he treated it as such.

My friend and I sat down to pray.  It became very angry.  It went for me, but I was in prayer, and it could not harm me.  It went for my friend, but he was in prayer and it could not harm him.  The skeptic?  He left that place in utter tears and never doubted again. As far as I know, he latched on to Christ that day and never let go.

I am not saying all this to brag.  I am doing this to say, that as a church we see things in the concrete: what we can touch, taste, and see.  There is far more to this world than that.

Ephesians 6:12, "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Daniel, thats a deep testimony. I think also there are times in my life I have felt the devil or his demons. It's a very dark feeling or even cold like a drop in temperature. When I since the spirit it's nothing at all like the devil.

Sometimes he might make me feel a little guilty if I have sinned and reminds me of the cross,  but everything that still small voice says comes from love and truth.

I am still learning things, but I find when I do tell people about the Lord or try to counter untruths online , that  the word of  God comes back to me. Sometimes I have to search for the specific verses online etc, but a lot of God's word comes back to be from out of nowhere and I seem to know what to say in writing. I'm starting to get better at it speaking publicly as well.

As you work your talents for the Lord, He will increase them, my friend.  Just like the parable of the talents.  When we put scripture into our hearts and minds, the Spirit reminds of them.  We have that promise from Jesus Himself.

Matthew 10:19-20, " But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20 for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you."

I am excited for you and the special ministry you have.  May God bless you richly as you serve the little ones.

I  have been asking God what to do as far as a job. I have  thought about starting a youth center and other things. And I actually think God might have confirmed in my prayer that he wants me to work with young people, So I was thinking is this real or just what I want and how's it going to happen? But if it really is God's will I know he is more than capable of making it happen. And I told God if it is his will I will do so.

WOW i love you guys but you guys post the LONGEST replies lol but ill say this... when your mind is quiet to the busyness of life, it is then that you can clearly hear the still small voice, giving you direction. You will then know it is Christ speaking to you. First move is to remove the thoughts of SELF...self removed, can open you up to the voice of God

Cart T.

"... it is easy living after we are dead". (4Spiritual Gifts p.17)    : )

Self can be removed; yes, it can be quite dead.  But once that transformation of mind is accomplished (once self-renunciation is habitual) we have a part to play in keeping self "under".

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2022   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service