Adventist Online

I often come across with replies (reasoning) that say "that doing or believing things matters on individual choice or personal conviction. Is this true with us SDAs?

Does this harmonize or conforms with our SDA beliefs or SDA principles? Is there such a "unity" when it comes to standardization or uniformity of church standards (referring to us SDAs)  

Examples of this are:

1. It's okey to celebrate valentines day yet, others say it's not.

2. It's okey to celebrate Christmas yet, others say it's not.

3. It's okey to observe halloween yet, others say it's not.

4. It's okey to use drums in the church (with due consideration of diversity in culture) yet, others say it's not.

5. It's okey to sing differently deviating from the supposed (original) style not following the standard way of singing yet, others it's not.

6. It's okey to cook in Sabbath day yet, others say it's not.

7. It's okey to buy in Sabbath day yet, others say it's not.

8. It's okey to go to movie theaters yet, others say it's not.

9. It's okey to masturbate yet, others it's not.

10.It's okey to have sex (for couples) during Sabbath day yet, others say it's not.

11. What else or more we can add to these?

Does this mean that we are already patterned to what they call "Individual perception"? Do we really vary on our belief even if we are at one church? Does this mean we are loosing unity?

Everyone's thought(s) on this is highly welcome and appreciated. But just a reminder, let's maintain the healthy discussion on this particular forum. Let's discuss not debate...",

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would like to redirect you to the post since I have edited it citing few specific examples. But anyway, you had the point...That's indeed true.
Please try to search "masturbation" in the search engine tab. You can find there a lot of posting about this particular issue in answer to your question...",
I stand behind all 28 Fundamentals. Beyond that ... it is open for each to interpret as the Holy Spirit impresses.

So yes. Individual choice or personal conviction are good for SDAs. All of this with SDAs will be under the impression of the Holy Spirit and the HS works at a different pace and with different things .... with each person. So, we need to get out of the" judging of our neighbors'" business.

Regarding your list therefore ... I would say YES. Each person needs to judge these matters for themselves and go with their personal impression from the Holy Spirit and Bible Study.

Our church does not make a stand or a Fundamental out of any of these issues you have listed ... and neither should they. Otherwise .... our church would be like the Jews of old.
Thank you NHim for your post. I respect your opinion. Therefore, I would say that basing from your post, diversity of belief...

Peace from God and Joy to you forever. In fact, you are not alone with regards people questioning you on such issues. What I can contribute by the grace of God is this. Is it true that the Almighty Father has His Standards? Is it also true that brother Jesus Christ came to live on earth within the confines of a standardized life? If all these are true and is true, then we who are the remnant the followers of Jesus Christ aught to have standards. This is to mean that the church also has godly standards But, it is up to the individual church members to consciously go by these standards with the help of the Lord Holy Spirit. The truth of the matter is, all through history; the children of God and men alike have lived with standards set by their Creator and people. But it is shocking to note that only a few adhered to the standards. Take for example Cain and Abel. The Standard of Jehovah at that time was to use an animal for sacrifice but Cain choose to go by his own standards. The church of God is united in doctrine and deeds. But it is up to every professed member of the Church to be filled with the Holy Spirit to be able to go by these godly standards.
This is what I strongly believe. God bless you for starting this discussion so that we all could share. God Bless you.
Thanks for imparting your ideas on this issue Brother Gideon. You have nailed it on the wall with a note in it "attention!".

It is so frustrating to note that even if we are at one church, yet we vary on how we perceive the church standards. I think our standard is divided into two: our (human) standard and Godly standard. It's no longer a GODLY STANDARD.

So, how can we tell the world of "unity" when in fact, we are not united (in terms of doctrine and deeds) in our own church.
I certainly do think we are united on doctrine. If you don't agree with the doctrines ... I don't know why you would be a member. Those who agree and are united on doctrines usually apply for membership. I don't join a church because of their standards. I join the church because of their doctrines.
What do you consider "the doctrines"?
I really believe it is a personal and Spiritual issue. For instance, I do not believe in all of the 28 fundemental beliefs of the SDA Church.

Take for instance a new convert comes in and wants to become baptised after a period of time. He owns a variety store which gets most of it sells from beer and cigarettes. One of the beliefs is that we do not sell those things, or manufacture same, because of the harm that they do.

But I suppose its ok for our so called hospital, to harvest and implant hearts from other sources besides human. That means to that they would have to prescribe anti-rejection medication, which in time will blow out the kidney and then liver.

It is just the same with these posts, everyone has their own beliefs and opinions. If it is not according to scripture, oh well.

Does that mean that I will stop posting or going to church, God forbid.

So that puts me in a position to keep my eyes on Jesus, and the things of this world, the things of our church, will go stangely dim, in the light of His Glory and Grace.
Hi Anthony. A couple questions. One is ... since you indicated that you didn't believe in all of the fundamental doctrines of our church ... I wanted to ask you which ones you disagree with and also ... are you a member of this church and if so ... why would you be if you disagree with our beliefs?

One more question ... you indicate that one of our fundamental beliefs is to not sell or manufacture beer or cigarettes but that our hospitals harvest and implant hearts from other sources. Can you tell me which one of our 28 Fundamental Beliefs prohibits either the sale or manufacture of beer or cigarettes and which one prohibits our hospitals to harvest and implant hearts from other sources?
22. Christian Behavior:
We are called to be a godly people who think, feel, and act in harmony with the principles of heaven. For the Spirit to recreate in us the character of our Lord we involve ourselves only in those things which will produce Christlike purity, health, and joy in our lives. This means that our amusement and entertainment should meet the highest standards of Christian taste and beauty. While recognizing cultural differences, our dress is to be simple, modest, and neat, befitting those whose true beauty does not consist of outward adornment but in the imperishable ornament of a gentle and quiet spirit. It also means that because our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, we are to care for them intelligently. Along with adequate exercise and rest, we are to adopt the most healthful diet possible and abstain from the unclean foods identified in the Scriptures. Since alcoholic beverages, tobacco, and the irresponsible use of drugs and narcotics are harmful to our bodies, we are to abstain from them as well. Instead, we are to engage in whatever brings our thoughts and bodies into the discipline of Christ, who desires our wholesomeness, joy, and goodness. (Rom. 12:1, 2; 1 John 2:6; Eph. 5:1-21; Phil. 4:8; 2 Cor. 10:5; 6:14-7:1; 1 Peter 3:1-4; 1 Cor. 6:19, 20; 10:31; Lev. 11:1-47; 3 John 2.)

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service