Adventist Online

Does Prayer of Faith really change the Will of God in one's Life?

Does Prayer of Faith really change the Will of God in one's Life?

I would be grateful for some thoughts on this question...

Views: 270

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We cannot fathom God----His will and His mind.

LUKE 22;39 
Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him.
 40 On reaching the place, he said to them, “Pray that you will not fall into temptation.” 41 He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.[a]

45 When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46 “Why are you sleeping?” he asked them. “Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.”

2 Corinthians 12:7-10

King James Version (KJV)

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Nice passage from the scripture...thanks for sharing, Olusegun

I would like to elaborate on why I said you can't change Gods will. Gods will is, and always has been that we receive the best that he has to offer. He is love and that is all that love can offer. Jesus taught us to pray in this manner.

Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth,
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,

The power, and the glory,

For ever and ever.

Amen.

So when we pray we should ask that His will be done, not that he change his will to our will. It is not our place to pray with the goal of changing Gods will, rather, we should pray with the goal of understanding his will. The prayer of faith will be one that seeks to have Gods will worked out in their lives. God already knows what we need and the reason that he requires us to pray with faith is so that we can appreciate all the good things that he does for us.

God's will is never to work against us. Every good gift comes from God.

HELLO Mr. Ezra, u got it right my brother even in the days of our dearly prophetess Ellen G White wasn't able to pray to changeth God's will on any occassion neither the old prophets in the bible. If God speaks to someone to come and let us reason together, that's different from His will, He is expecting the person to admit and repent from his or her sinful ways>> isaiah 1:18; jeremiah 3:13; acts 3:19.

HIS WILL, EVEN DANIEL'S PRAYER COULD NOT CHANGE IT!!!

2 Chronicles 36:21

King James Version (KJV)

21 To fulfil the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed her sabbaths: for as long as she lay desolate she kept sabbath, to fulfil threescore and ten years

Daniel 9:11-13

King James Version (KJV)

11 Yea, all Israel have transgressed thy law, even by departing, that they might not obey thy voice; therefore the curse is poured upon us, and the oath that is written in the law of Moses the servant of God, because we have sinned against him.

12 And he hath confirmed his words, which he spake against us, and against our judges that judged us, by bringing upon us a great evil: for under the whole heaven hath not been done as hath been done upon Jerusalem.

13 As it is written in the law of Moses, all this evil is come upon us: yet made we not our prayer before the Lord our God, that we might turn from our iniquities, and understand thy truth.

Daniel 9:20-27

King James Version (KJV)

20 And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the Lord my God for the holy mountain of my God;

21 Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.

22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding.

23 At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision.

24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.

26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

We can see it that upon the prayer of prophet Daniel he could not reversed the 70 years to 35 years. Sometimes God got angry toward a person or a nation and a prayer is made to HIM, then surely God must change HIS mind    

Ask, then; ask, and ye shall receive. Ask for humility, wisdom, courage, increase of faith. To every sincere prayer an answer will come. It may not come just as you desire, or at the time you look for it; but it will come in the way and at the time that will best meet your need. The prayers you offer in loneliness, in weariness, in trial, God answers, not always according to your expectations, but always for your good.—(Gospel Workers, 258.) 

Brother Jay Jay, I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for the quote from the inspired pen of EGW.

Sometimes the will of God requires someone to do a work which that person does not like to do the work. For example, God called Jonah to go to Nineveh, but Jonah refused and detoured from the call. God eventually got Him to Nineveh. God's will for Him in this mission was fulfilled. Another example I can think of is the call of Moses. God called him to lead the children of Israel out of Egypt. Moses gave excuses but eventually he took up the call. And there are many other stories too.

Is there a story in the bible where God calls a person to do His work, and the person refuses, asked God to change the plan, and it was granted?...I can't think of one. Or, is there any?

Yes, at times He does change His will, which doesn't mean we should believe we can request whatever and He will change something!
A couple of examples: Abraham prayed for Lot, and God was ready to change His mind concerning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, wherefore Moses prayed for the Isrealites, and God listened to Moses and changed His mind and kept them alive after they had made and worshiped the golden caliph. He even made them His special people!
God does have His own will, which is above all and above the will of any living being, but at times He is also willing to change His will concerning a person or situation or whatever. Anyway, only He sees the future and He knows better than we do, how one or another thing might better or worsen the path to the goal, which by His will would be for as many as possible to be saved.

You beat me to it! LOLOL....and WELL STATED!  =)

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service