Adventist Online

Hi there,

Im curious about the habits you have and your opinions about what to do and not to do on Sabbath.

Some people have no problem with cooking, shopping, cleaning the house while others will wait until sunset. Some people play sports some people dont.

I am one of those who rather wait or prepare everything before the sabbath starts.

What do you think should and should not people do on sabbath? 

Do you think people now do activities they wouldnt do few years ago? 

Views: 4835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When reading God’s word regarding the Sabbath, there appears to be a great deal of specifics concerning what He desires of His people regarding their conduct on this day. One might even call His instructions a list of “do’s and don’ts.” The following are just a few examples:

1. Don’t work (Ex. 20: 8, Dt. 5:13-4))
  2. Don’t compel servants to labor on your behalf (Ex. 20:10, Dt. 5:14-5)
  3. Don’t compel strangers to labor on your behalf. (Ex. 20:10, Dt. 5:14-5)
  4. Don’t compel your livestock to labor  (Dt. 5:14)
  5. Don’t compel your family to labor (Ex. 20:10, Dt. 5:14-5)
  6. Don’t prepare meals (Ex. 16:23-5)
  7. Don’t go outside your place (Ex. 16:29)
  8. Don’t gather your daily food (Ex. 16:22-3)
  9. Don’t engage in business (Neh.10:31, 13:15-21)
  10. Don’t do your own pleasure (Isa. 58:13)
  11. Don’t speak your own words (Isa. 58:13)
  12. Don’t think your own thoughts (Isa. 58:13)
  13. Do assemble with God’s people (Lev. 23:1-3)
  14. Do call the Sabbath a delight (Isa. 58:13)
  15. Do call it honorable and holy (Isa. 58:13)

Mark 3:4 Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil?

What a great question to ask ourselves! In the debate over what is appropriate Sabbath activity, this question settles the debate, ‘is it lawful to do good…or to do evil?’ Maybe we should ask ourselves this question more often.

“Most of us would like to have our Sabbath dos and don’ts spelled out in black and white; then we could be relieved from having to make decisions. But with the Sabbath, as with many other things, there are many gray areas, and one of our great opportunities is to learn how to make the right choices. Ancient Israel allowed itself to get into a ‘no win’ situation when its leaders attempted to spell out the Sabbath prohibitions. Before long they became entangled in a web of conflicting rules and regulations that emphasized the letter of the law rather than the spirit. Jesus found them ‘straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel’ when they complained about his breaking the Sabbath because he healed a man on that day. His pertinent question to them, ‘Is it lawful to do good on the Sabbath?’ left them without response. He followed by observing that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath (see Mark 3:1–5; Mark 2:27).

“When the Prophet Joseph Smith was once asked how he governed his people, he responded by saying that he taught them correct principles and then let them govern themselves. A similar approach can be meaningful for each of us in determining whether a particular activity is compatible with the commandment to keep the Sabbath day holy. By first identifying the principles, we can then evaluate whether a given activity conforms to the spirit of keeping the Sabbath holy.”

Romnick, Wise words and if your picture is correct, very wise for your age.

Bless You.

Dee

Hey All,

I believe that the way we keep the Sabbath is a reflection of how we walk with God during the week. If we are involved with worldly pursuits during the week, the Sabbath brings our desires to a screeching halt.

Other than that, I think the devil magnifies simple things on Sabbath - during the week, not cooking for a day may be a non-issue. Focus on Jesus, every day of the week and the Sabbath will be a beautiful progression into a peaceful rest with our Lord.

I'm still learning to keep it properly - not least because I'm far from holy. =/

our worship of god is not private in all issues. many things people can see and it can affect them, even their view of adventists as a whole.

thats not what i meant. when you say you dont work on sabbath and people see you e.g. cooking it can affect them. i didnt mean praying talking to god or anything private like that

Is cooking is worshiping Gabriel? Are you saying that God has left it to us to decipher what to do and not to do on sabbath? Please explain.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service