Adventist Online

Hi there,

Im curious about the habits you have and your opinions about what to do and not to do on Sabbath.

Some people have no problem with cooking, shopping, cleaning the house while others will wait until sunset. Some people play sports some people dont.

I am one of those who rather wait or prepare everything before the sabbath starts.

What do you think should and should not people do on sabbath? 

Do you think people now do activities they wouldnt do few years ago? 

Views: 4835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sleep for our feeble human bodies is essential for physical and mental health.
I am convinced. I did not nap yesterday and now I'm carrying last weeks tiredness into the new week. NOT clever at all. Sabbath night to Sabbath morning I spend 8hrs sleeping, if I have an hours nap in the afternoon I am still spending less than 1/2 the Sabbath sleeping.

lol thanks for the clarification Jason!

We spend about 8 hours at work, and a few hours of pleasure every day during the week....how come we cant spend that kind of time with the Lord on Sabbath?

Instead, many of us are too busy doing "our own thing" , that we forget what the Sabbath day is all about.

That is all i am trying to say.

~God Bless~

Zoe:

In everything there has to be balance (temperance)...while your physical body may to take a nap and rest--and you should take it-- sleeping away the rest of Sabbath is not what God intended based on Isaiah 58:13,14.

"If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:  Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it."--Isaiah 58;13, 14

Feeling tired and giving in is not my own pleasure. What pleasure does one get out of sleep? Its not appetising or entertaining.  

Zoe, it sounds like you and the LORD have to talk about how you are going balance out your time for the entire week.  The Sabbath is a time for us to commune with Him.  Can you imagine having a relationship with a guy who alwasy goes to sleep when he comes to visit you?  You would give him the boot! LOLOL!

While Jesus is not going to "give us the boot", it is unfair in our walk with Him to spend the time we are supposed to with Him sleeping...Does that make sense?

Sarah and the others  who are commenting.

May I suggest that this discussion is moving towards legalism?  Note what Jesus said:

"And he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."  Mark 2:27 (ESV)

Really, what more can or need be said? 

Sleeping 4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours, 10 hours on Sabbath is a very legalistic concept.  The Sabbath is made for man, not man for the Sabbath.  There is a time and place for everything, even on the Sabbath.

This past Sabbath, due to a very busy week and health issues, I slept most of the day.  Not by choice, it was not possible to wake up.  Somehow, I believe that I still received a Sabbath day's blessing just the same.  Possibly even more so.  However, that is far from a regular program.  In fact I can not remember having slept that much for a long time.  Somehow, I believe that God understood.  Remember, the Bible says:

"It is in vain that you rise up early
        and go late to rest,
    eating the bread of anxious toil;
        for he gives to his beloved sleep." Psalm 127:2 (ESV)

Trying to be a holier than though Sabbath keeper by measuring the hours of sleep on that day seems almost pharasitical.  Would you agree?  It is for sure that I do not feel comfortable sleeping in the presence of strangers.  Again, everything in balance. 

The point being is that God recognizes that we are clay and there are times that we need more sleep and God is happy to allow us to recharge our batteries on Sabbath, if that is the pressing need that week.  Again, not as a regular habit.  If it becomes that, then we should prepare for the Sabbath by getting more sleep during the week.

As for an hours nap in the afternoon.  So?  What is the problem?  Does the Sabbath blessing only come by the hours that we are awake, or who we are honoring during the waking hours?

I remember one time when I was spending Sabbath with a girl I was dating (only the normal waking hours G).  I do not remember the exact details now, but we were sitting together and we both drifted off to sleep, for probably an hour or so.  We both had a laugh about it after we woke up.  But we could experience closeness in that setting as much as being awake.  In fact, when you feel comfortable enough with someone to go to sleep, that has something to say for the relationship too.

The take-away point being.  All things in moderation, and we must not ever forget who we are spending time with on the Sabbath hours.  This is not a legalistic requirement, it is spending time with a friend, a friend that you love very much.  Let the Lord lead you and do not attempt to so structure the Sabbath, that, like the Jews did, we loose the reason for the Sabbath.  It was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Maranatha :)
Ray

Thank you for that :)

I agree, Ray....Zoe that was not our intent, definitely not mine! =)

Please forgive me!

My family work in the medical field (not sure if you do or not) and I do know that sometmes, "it is what it is".  Let the Holy Spirit lead you as what you need to do.

Forgiven and forgot :)

I dont believe anyone is being malicious.

Amen! Praise God:)
Sarah, i'm blessed from reading your post. Wow. Sweet.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service