Adventist Online

i wonder why we do not use drums or tambourines in SDA worship. once i asked a pastor in our local church about this matter and he told me that it depends on the culture of the country. traditional SDA worship doesn't use drums or other loud musical instruments but should we not really use them in worship? many texts in the bible said we can worship with those instruments though...

Views: 3476

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

powerful infor there brother Jose C. God bless.

Here's a thought, written by an Adventist pastor, in partial response to your question. I tend to agree with this pastor. There are others who certainly do not...

http://www.adventistreview.org/2003-1533/story2.html

Hi Rick.  Thanks for the article you posted here.  From what one has read re: subject in question, it is narrow. I have been a musician (in a small way) for more than 25 years, and have had to trim down over the past 5 yrs owing much to reading on effects of music and sound not so much lyrics in general and ultimately in worship.

A brother has referred to Pastor Ivor Myers, check him out;  If you have not come across Pastors Wolfe Stefani and Brian Neumann, please see if you can get hold of their work. I also appreciated the presentation compiled by these guys (not SDA) www.goodfight.org/.  If you please, check their video called They sold their souls to rock and roll.

God bless.

I am going to check it out. I'm always looking for more info to share with people. This is an on going issue in our churches and it needs to be addressed. We need to become better educated with some things.

Is in it strange how none SDA are saying these things and we don't want to listen. Mickey Hart the drummer for the G Dead has a book called " drumming on the edge of magic" he talks about how a Damaru drum that had bin consecrated almost killed him. He said that the rightful owner materialized and called him by name saying "be careful with this drum, mickey it has great power u know, it wakes the dead".                                                     May the Lord help us to ask of Him for guidance.  TWO......

Hay whats up people. I have a very good source that u may want to tap into. His name is Pastor Ivor Myers and he like I was in the music industry. Look him up on youtube. "Sonic Warfare".There is more to the drum than meets the eye. Please do ur research well. Also you may want to ask this question. What kind of church are we? Are we a celebration church or not?                       2 Selected Messages p. 35-38 1 Corinthians 10:23-24  Matthew 7: 7-8. Check it out. G. B.

Music Is Made a Snare

The things you have described as taking place in Indiana, [THESE COMMENTS WERE MADE IN CONNECTION WITH THE "HOLY FLESH" MOVEMENT AT THE INDIANA CAMP MEETING OF 1900. FOR FURTHER DETAILS, SEE SELECTED MESSAGES, BOOK 2, PP. 31-39.] the Lord has shown me would take place just before the close of probation. Every uncouth thing will be demonstrated. There will be shouting, with drums, music, and dancing. The senses of rational beings will become so confused that they cannot be trusted to make right decisions. . . . {LDE 159.1}
A bedlam of noise shocks the senses and perverts that which if conducted aright might be a blessing. The powers of satanic agencies blend with the din and noise to have a carnival, and this is termed the Holy Spirit's working. . . . Those things which have been in the past will be in the future. Satan will make music a snare by the way in which it is conducted.--2SM 36, 38 (1900). {LDE 159.2}
Let us give no place to strange exercisings, which really take the mind away from the deep movings of the Holy Spirit. God's work is ever characterized by calmness and dignity.--2SM 42 (1908). {LDE 159.3}

150 Praise ye the Lord. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.

Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord.

@ Sarah - I Know Ellen White was against drums and dancing in the church! sorry I dont rem what book it comes from! but I know its what the bible says that matters the most!

I see yes thats what it says in the bible - but was it in church worship? I think its meant to be more quieter in church then how music is played elsewhere? isnt that so??

Don't you praise God at church?  Verse 1 says what?  Praise God in HIS SANCTUARY!!!  Church was never meant to be quiet.  None of the instruments mentioned in Psalm 150 are quiet instruments.

Whoever said church was suppose to be quiet??

We do at the SDA churches I attend.... =)

How do you think we will worship God in heaven?

I think not in the manner seen in the free various expressions we seem to prefer when all they do is entertain and drug us. you thoughts?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service