Adventist Online

i wonder why we do not use drums or tambourines in SDA worship. once i asked a pastor in our local church about this matter and he told me that it depends on the culture of the country. traditional SDA worship doesn't use drums or other loud musical instruments but should we not really use them in worship? many texts in the bible said we can worship with those instruments though...

Views: 3396

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know if you are aware of this but many old hymns are based upon secular music. The ministers of the day changed lyrics to be more religious themed while keeping the same tune that was familiar to the people.

@Gabriel. I dont agree its pointless to discuss drums in church just because some or all hymns are from non SDAs. That should not matter. SDA church came much later then many churches - and there is nothing wrong with the words of the hymns we are using - just depends how we sing to it and music that goes along with it! is it played in a worldly way - or sung that way! that is what matters!!!!...

Its not good to only sing songs if we know sda came up with it! i dont think God would want us to be like that! 

I just hope we can put reference on this point as our basis of judgement...It's not either good to judge though...",
We reflect God's character through the Scripture truth because Christ said, "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth." Jn 17:17.

When we worship God, we are in His presence, just imagine how the angels worship him in His presence. With reverence.

The Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire. A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him. Dan 7:9-10

For the saints, what attitude should His saints be in His presence:
I saw also the LORD sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly. And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory. And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke. Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips. isa 6:1-5.
some people who visit our church see it as boring...too sad..
i know someone who prefer to stay at home than go to church because of boring worship.

@Lorie

thats the people's problem then! we must do what is right with God!! I dont think God wants music so loud and played in a worldy way in church!! let alone anywhere else!!!!

I always thought that worship is about Christ and Christ alone. It was never about us.                          Mat. 6:33 Seek first......................

THAT IS SO TRUE FRANK! THANKS AGAIN :)

N Him,

Sorry I have to ask, what do you mean by look around until you find a Spirit filled church?

Jon
Thanks for the question.

A non-judgmental and accepting , loving church that portrays the Fruits of the Spirit. A church that is willing to meet the needs and preferences of all members in the area of music and not just for a narrow set of traditionalists.
Not sure what this has to do with drums. But perhaps you could explain.

Drums are a good means of praising God and have been throughout history. The use of drums are quite scriptural. So I am surprised at the tradition of not using them by some Historical SDAs.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service