Adventist Online

i wonder why we do not use drums or tambourines in SDA worship. once i asked a pastor in our local church about this matter and he told me that it depends on the culture of the country. traditional SDA worship doesn't use drums or other loud musical instruments but should we not really use them in worship? many texts in the bible said we can worship with those instruments though...

Views: 3468

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I respect the opinions of those who say it's okey to use drums in the church and also those who say it's not okey. As what has been said here, we cannot just impose any style on anyone since each SDA or SDA church has their own taste or preference of music and most of the common cited reasons are culture differences, church orientation on music standards and alike.

Well, let me just share with you the same topic I've posted in my page. It's up to you to weigh (accept or ignore) the emphasized thoughts.

Here's the link:

http://www.adventistonline.com/profiles/blogs/adventist-music-guide...
"many texts in the bible said we can worship with those instruments though"

Yes. Scripture encourages us to use drums and I think it is a good option for Christians. But, of course there are many different preferences and those should be respected. Each side should show respect for the other.

@ N Him

doesnt meant its allowed in church - on the Sabbath. we should be more quiet and reverent in church!!

Beginning in the 1970’s, Churches across America and the world began to blend rock style “praise” music with good lyrics. This is strange fire. A mixture of the Holy and the profane is never acceptable to God. Adventist churches soon followed suit with celebration style churches. Now many SDA churches that do not claim a “celebration” label also use drums, with rock/jazz/blues style worship music.

This kind of music excites the emotions and can be mistaken for the moving of the Holy Spirit. Some will equate an excited, emotional “feel good” worship experience with a connection to Jesus. I will submit that this type of feeling can be attributed to another spirit entirely. Rick Warren’s Saddleback church claims they are the “church that rocks” which is indicative to their church growing tactics of addressing the seekers “felt needs.”

It is also true that among Adventists worldwide, there is a steadily decreasing belief in the value of the Spirit of Prophecy. For me, this indicates a decline in the acceptance and use of true Biblical principles in Adventist theology, and SDA worship styles. Please consider this quote:

Worship With a Bedlam of Noise

“It is impossible to estimate too largely the work that the Lord will accomplish through His proposed vessels in carrying out His mind and purpose. Every uncouth thing will be demonstrated. There will be shouting, with drums, music, and dancing. The senses of rational beings will become so confused that they cannot be trusted to make right decisions. And this is called the moving of the Holy Spirit.” {2SM 36.2}

2Co 6:17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.”
"be ye separate, saith the Lord" Amen brother.

And David and all Israel played before God with all their might, and with singing, and with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels (drum/tambourine), and with cymbals, and with trumpets. And when they came unto the threshingfloor of Chidon, Uzza put forth his hand to hold the ark; for the oxen stumbled. And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzza, and he smote him, because he put his hand to the ark: and there he died before God. 1 Chr 13:8-10

The journey was unsuccessful b/c of lack of proper reverence to the holy object. 3 months later, a more reverence to the holy sanctuary. This time no timbrels (drums), and follow the Lord's instruction, and was successful. It is all about reverence to God's instruction because He knows about the wiles of the adversary.

And the children of the Levites bare the ark of God upon their shoulders with the staves thereon, as Moses commanded according to the word of the LORD. And David spake to the chief of the Levites to appoint their brethren to be the singers with instruments of music, psalteries and harps and cymbals, sounding, by lifting up the voice with joy. 1 Chr 15:15-16.
Brother William

I am to believe that the trumpet cannot be used to worship GOD. If we use your example, you conclude that because drums are not mentioned 3 months after then they were forbidden, neither is trumpet mentioned so they too must be forbidden from worship to God.

Good to have you back Charlie.

not everything God allowed back in bible times - does it mean He approved it! i heard this many times. remember its David saying this not God Himself!! David and many others also had many many wives and also concubines. God did not and does not approve of this - but they still did it and He allowed them to do it though was against this lifestyle!! so we must be careful with the music - instruments.... just because they did it then - does not mean God approved of them doing so! 

"we are to reveal that calmness and dignity and godly fear that actuates every true child of God" Amen sister.

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. Matthew 5:48
Amen to that!

@ Em Murr

thanks you - and glad you quoted some things from Ellen White. I knew she said some things against this but I didnt know where.

Good on you Em Murr!! I know what you say here is correct! churches today - even SDA - are becoming more and more wordly!! its a real concern!! 

I avoid those churches and am going to one where no drums are there! I know that even piano, classical guitar can still be played in a worldly way! so we do have to be careful even with other instruments!!

EmMurr could not agree with you more on .... decreasing belief in the value of the Spirit of Prophecy and yet there seems to be an increase in the use of books and information from .... Rick Warren’s Saddleback church claims they are the “church that rocks” which is indicative to their church growing tactics of addressing the seekers “felt needs.”  Books read by members and even used at schools for Pastor's training.  Shame indeed.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service