Adventist Online

i wonder why we do not use drums or tambourines in SDA worship. once i asked a pastor in our local church about this matter and he told me that it depends on the culture of the country. traditional SDA worship doesn't use drums or other loud musical instruments but should we not really use them in worship? many texts in the bible said we can worship with those instruments though...

Views: 3531

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

thanks Lorie for reposting this in this manner . yes I have seen music in pentecostal churches that work up the emotions of the pepople too in the use of the organ does this mean the organ too is satanic in its influence?
. I agrre their are celebration style churches that use music n drums to a pitch to induce the emotions but to say all music has to be one type only or it is not of God is this true too??

In actuality I hate the loud drums used by pathfinders I hate that loud boom boom but it been used for all pathfinders that I know of? IF memory serves me right we are never to force a style of worship on others is this not the Job of the Holy Spirit? /
It also reminds me of the time the early churches faced the delimena of meat in the market places that were once offered to idols and many that were being converted thought it was sin to eat of this and found fault with others because they did not see this. . I have heard voodoo drums u know but to say that all drums that are a style of worship reminds u of VOODOO is stretching reality!! .
Yes. UM ... I agree with you.
Although I hardly post on this site, I'm always reading the forums..This topic about the use of Drums in worship never dies!!! The drum itself is not evil, its how its played. The drum on its own doesn't say "Hereeeee Demon,Demon!. It's when the player uses the drums, he/she determines how it's played and for what purpose. It's culturally insensitive to label the instrument which has its roots out of Africa evil just because it's used in some places for Voodoo etc. ANY musical instrument including the organ and piano (which many people think are the only authorized worship instruments that can be used to glorify God.) can be used to conjure up spirits and used for satanic purposes. In response to the famous passage from EG White that is quoted like clockwork when the issue of drums is brought up, "Bedlam of Noise etc.." When I read it, I don't see her condemning the drums, but she was speaking about the manner in which the worship was presented.

I've always wondered though, If the drums were so evil and demonic, why hasn't the General Conference made an official statement about this, since apparently the drums will lead many into the pits of hell.
(maybe another Jesuit conspiracy plot perhaps..lol)
Your exactly right its how you play it, I had a background in heavy metal before God saved me from that awful life. So I know all about rhythm and its, physical, mental, and spiritual influences, any type of beat especially with a loud snare or bass drum WILL DISTRACT some from the initial use of the music, not all but some. A drum without rhythm doesn't distract as much. But any instrument played too loud can be distracting. But unlike the piano and the organ, drums have mostly only a rhythmic purpose.

"Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear." Hebrews 12:28
Excellent Post Kodie. You need to be posting here more. Shake off that lurkers label.
This topic will indeed never die. Drums to me are just simply a distraction of true worship. I am pianist and many times I just cannot focus on the score because of the drum pounding and clashing away during the song service; it tunes our heart and mind out of the TRUE MEANING of the words being sang in a hymn. I enjoy playing without the drums, and I even play better, but I am a lone voice in my church.

Drums have and are associated with devil worship, all we have to do is google the origins of the drums. I am sure that when the drum is being played with the other instrument, you may tend to give praise unto the "good sounds" and those who play the instruments rather that to God. If Adventist Churches return to the traditional style of worship, we will see a SPIRITUAL IMPROVEMENT of member like the days of old- now we tend to focus on getting the latest drum set, playing and introducing the latest beat, buying the most expensive electric keyboards and drums but are we giving God the true worship he deserves? Are we really focusing on the words of the hymns we sing? Do we really know how powerful the verses of those hymns are? We can know and realize all of that if we remove the blind fold and hearing plugs I call the drum set. Yes, drums are featured in my videos but, what can I do...after, I am here to serve God and not man.
It's interesting that you appreciate piano but not drums. After all ... they really are not much different when you think about it. I also play the piano. But wish I had learned the drums.
how are they not much different?
The piano is just a lot of little drums being pounded at the same time. I guess one could call it the mother of all drums.
Amen
That may be the tradition of men ... but to God ... in His word ... that is simply untruth.

thank you Jmoul A. Francis

SO TRUE!!!

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com