Adventist Online

i wonder why we do not use drums or tambourines in SDA worship. once i asked a pastor in our local church about this matter and he told me that it depends on the culture of the country. traditional SDA worship doesn't use drums or other loud musical instruments but should we not really use them in worship? many texts in the bible said we can worship with those instruments though...

Views: 3531

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

If Mrs White told us not to use drum then we should just follow. What's important here is our heart to praise God.

@chelsea nick

THANK YOU! YOU ARE SO RIGHT!! 

NO ONE REALLY LISTENS TO WHAT SHE SAYS ABOUT LIFESTYLE ETC... I CAN SEE THIS HERE AND EVERYWHERE!!

"Praise the Lord with the timbrel and dance...Praise Him with loud cymbals; Praise Him with clashing cymbals!"
(Psalm 150:4,5).

Ever been to a symphony concert (or any classical music concert)? Watch how they handle drums and other percussion instruments. Always to enhance and add to the music, not to distract from it. And those are some BIG drums, cymbals, etc!!

Who can forget the four soft drum beats that introduce Beethoven's Violin Concerto?

Or the drum roll that ushers in the piano fireworks at the start of Grieg's Piano Concerto?

Who can stage an authentic orchestral performance of Handel's "Messiah" without using drums in the Hallelujah Chorus?

Those who blindly follow a "no drums" policy miss out on these, and many other musical delights.
Your exactly right its how you play it, I had a background in heavy metal before God saved me from that awful life. So I know all about rhythm and its, physical, mental, and spiritual influences, any type of beat especially with a loud snare or bass drum WILL DISTRACT some from the initial use of the music, not all but some. A drum without rhythm doesn't distract as much. But any instrument played too loud can be distracting. But unlike the piano and the organ, drums have mostly only a rhythmic purpose.

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12:2

"Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear." Hebrews 12:28

So I'm not BLINDLY following any no drums policy.
Drums do sure as a purpose for rythmic use, but really, the conducter usually sets the rythmnl; but the drums in the churches as I said need to be used respectfully in sanctuary and not as if the divine hour service is at a rolling stones concert.
Yes. I would agree with you. When drums are used ... they need to be used repectfully.
Amen. Glad so see some sensible and moderate posts here regarding this topic. Thanks Aldona.
I agree.... The drums must be used as an enhancer not a distracter or noise maker...
There are three main parts to music: melody, harmony and rhythm.beat. The most important one of these is melody and that is where the lyrics reside. The l should be meaningful and distinct. Itf the musician plays the organ or piano too loudly and drowns out the voices of the singers/congregation, it would be the same as playing drums or symbaly too loudly.

There is nothing inherently wrong with any musical instrumnet, it is, rather, about how the instrument is used. In worship service melody should be the most important followed by harmony and then the beat.What we see so often in many churches is that there is almost only beat in the music . The beat drowns out the harmony , not to mention the melody.

We can use all those instruments mentioned in the Bible - that we can find- in worship if we do so appropriately. And ,yes, we can have a loud percussion band.

Not all music mentioned in the Bible pleased God. Consider the incident that occured at Mount Sinai, where Moses was receiving the Law, including the Ten Commandments.

When Moses descended the mountain, what did he hear? "Not the sound of the singing over mighty performance", "not the sound of the singing of defeat," but " the sound of other singing." This was music associated with idolatry, a practice that evoked God's displeasure and resulted in the death of about 3,000 of those music makers. - Exodus 32:18, 25-28.

Although humans can compose, play and enjoy all manner of music, it does not follow that all of it pleased God. Why not? The Christian apostle Paul explains: "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) This dishonors God of truth, for they are contrary to what is revealed in his inspired Word, the Bible.
Psalm 150

1Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

2Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

3Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.

4Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

5Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service