Adventist Online

Drumming, the Bible and the Adventist doctrine. Please help me reconcile these three

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It cannot be done.  The Bible speaks very clearly of the use of hand drums in worship.  The word used in the Hebrew text is generally translated as timbrel, which is a hand drum otherwise known as a tambour.   It is a tambourine without the jingles.  The definition of this word given Gesenius's lexicon actually describes a tambourine.  There is no mention of any other form of drum in scripture of which I am aware.

The prohibition of drums in worship comes from Catholic doctrine of the Middle Ages and was at that time a prohibition against all instruments except the human voice being used in worship.  It has been a long time since my undergraduate music history classes so I do not recall dates.  In the apostolic days hymn singing was often accompanied by instruments if they were available.  The hymns were very melodic and rhythmic.  Harmony was also used.  By the time of Pope Gregory I in the late 6th Century the music allowed in worship had degraded to what has come to be known as Gregorian chant.  The melodies were simple, not elaborate; there was almost no rhythmic variation and absolutely no harmonies were allowed.  This was all that was allowed for worship music.  

Since it was the monks who wrote down most music and stored it in libraries few examples of secular compositions from the period remain, but what examples there are show music that is melodically elaborate, very rhythmically varied and harmonious.  Numerous instruments were also still in use, but none of these conventions were allowed in worship.

Somewhere around 1000 or perhaps as late as 1200 Organum began to appear in worship music.  This was first movement in parallel 5ths and later used both 4ths and 5ths.  Eventually more elaborate harmonies came into use.  This forced a change in the modes used and two that were previously almost unheard of became the most common and are now known as the major and minor scales.  This change was probably complete by the very late 1500's.  

Sometime before this instruments began to be used for sacred music in non-worship settings, primarily in sacred dramas.  Some churches experimented with the use of instruments in worship, but except for the organ and perhaps a few other keyboard instruments that were being developed in those same years the church hierarcy refused to permit instruments in worship for quite some time.  Interestingly enough, the catholics tended to be at the head of these reforms and it was the protestants that were the slower to accept instruments other than the human voice as acceptable in worship.  There are still protestant denominations today that refuse to allow any instruments to be used in their services in spite of scripture commanding the use of a wide variety of instrumentation in worship.

All of this has been traditions of men.  You cannot reconcile such traditions of men with the commands of God, no matter how much you try.  There is no scriptural reference, either as worship instrument, or as instruments banned from worship for any other type of drum except the timbrel, which was used in worship.  I see no compelling reason to ban any instrument from use in worship music, even drums of any variety.  Scripture certainly does not ban them and drums of many varieties predate scripture by a very long time.  They were the first musical instruments invented and flutes, also not mentioned in scripture, were the second.

drums in worship is fine with me. it's an instrument invented for praising God. the only problem is that the people forget the difference between "worshiping" and "rocking".
...people forget the difference between "worshiping" and "rocking".

Amen, Lorie!

thanks Shel. :) i love music and GOD deserves our best worship.
The GC advise never use during all music but in parts to emphasize...
Thanks Robertson and Lorie. May God bless you

Myron gave this elaborate answer, which was fine until I pondered, with the help of the Holy Spirit, the answer even more and was led to this question.....

What happened BEFORE that time?

"The prohibition of drums in worship comes from Catholic doctrine of the Middle Ages and was at that time a prohibition against all instruments except the human voice being used in worship."

Was it possible, for those living in the time of the tower of babel, to have had drums?

Read the following:

To repeople the desolate earth, which the Flood had so lately swept from its moral corruption, God had preserved but one family, the household of Noah, to whom He had declared, "Thee have I seen righteous before Me in this generation." Genesis 7:1.
Yet, in the three sons of Noah, was speedily developed the same great distinction seen in the world before the Flood.
In Shem, Ham, and Japheth, who were to be the founders of the human race, was foreshadowed the character of their posterity. {PP 117.1}

Noah, speaking by divine inspiration, foretold the history of the three great races to spring from these fathers of mankind. ....
The unnatural crime of Ham declared that filial reverence (their feelings towards reverence) had long before been cast from his soul, and it revealed the impiety and vileness of his character. These evil characteristics were perpetuated in Canaan and his posterity, whose continued guilt called upon them the judgments of God. {PP 117.2}

On the other hand, the reverence manifested by Shem and Japheth for their father, and thus for the divine statutes, promised a brighter future for their descendants. Concerning these sons it was declared:
The line of Shem was to be that of the chosen people, of God's covenant, of the promised Redeemer.
Jehovah was the God of Shem. From him would descend Abraham, and the people of Israel, through whom Christ was to come. {PP 117.3}

The posterity of Canaan descended to the most degrading forms of heathenism.
Though the prophetic curse had doomed them to slavery, the doom was withheld for centuries. God bore with their impiety and corruption until they passed the limits of divine forbearance. Then they were dispossessed, and became bondmen to the descendants of Shem and Japheth. {PP 118.1}

The prophecy of Noah was no arbitrary denunciation of wrath or declaration of favor.
It did not fix the character and destiny of his sons.
But it showed what would be the result of the course of life they had severally chosen and the character they had developed.
It was an expression of God's purpose toward them and their posterity in view of their own character and conduct.
As a rule, children inherit the dispositions and tendencies of their parents, and imitate their example; so that the sins of the parents are practiced by the children from generation to generation.
Thus the vileness and irreverence of Ham were reproduced in his posterity, bringing a curse upon them for many generations. {PP 118.2}

On the other hand, how richly rewarded was Shem's respect for his father; and what an illustrious line of holy men appears in his posterity! {PP 118.3}

For a time, the descendants of Noah continued to dwell among the mountains where the ark had rested.
As their numbers increased, apostasy soon led to division.

Those who desired to forget their Creator, and to cast off the restraint of His law, felt a constant annoyance from the teaching and example of their God-fearing associates, and after a time they decided to separate from the worshipers of God. Accordingly they journeyed to the plain of Shinar, on the banks of the river Euphrates. They were attracted by the beauty of the situation and the fertility of the soil, and upon this plain they determined to make their home. {PP 118.4}

Just because the worldly wants drums, does that mean we have to lower our standards, and conform to this worldly fashion?

Thanks for allowing me the time with this thought.

God bless

I agree with what you said here, Anthony.  

Just because the worldly wants drums, does that mean we have to lower our standards, and conform to this worldly fashion?

Again, Amen!

Percussion on a whole isn't bad, there are are so many different kinds that wont "draw" the flesh but rather uplift the heart to God.  The key is to not worship with worldly influence.  I have no problems with drums being used, but my issue lies in the kinds being used and in what fashion.  A timpani is a drum used in an orchestra and it's used in it's rightful place.  We sometimes get tense when we hear the church might bring in drums, but we must also educate ourselves on the different kinds of percussion instruments and the history and cultural context in which they were meant for.  Pastor Ivor Myers have a great sermon "Sonic Warfare" on the use of drums in worship.

God Bless!

Praise the Lord Sister, I've listen to the whole gambit of his messages. 

I have a friend, (a Brother in Christ) who use to sing lead for the group Atlantic Star, and now he has come out of darkness and into HIS marvolous light and sings for the Glory of God.  Yes there are drum cords in his music, but it works due to the fact that they were not used as the world uses them.

So that will bring me back to the beginning, where is your relationship with Christ at?

I know of some who go to church to "party" for the Lord. 

They would come out of church after and say things like, "I really felt like I went to church today".  What were they doing in church, The raising of hands and swaying to the beat, shouting hallelua's and amens.  Their garments are all wet from perspiration, and out of breath.

I've seen, on youtube somewhere, where there was a drummer and a dancer.  The dancer ended up a tree, as he  listened to the beats, and when the drummer stopped playing, the man fell to his death, from the tree.  VOODOO.

I will suggest pray for anyone wanting to see the light in drums and worship.

In the Kingdom of God, Lucifer could sing all the intruments with his voice, now that he is on the earth, he has manipulated all that is of God.

Exodus 32:1   And when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down out of the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, Up, make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him. 

32:15   And Moses turned, and went down from the mount, and the two tables of the testimony were in his hand: the tables were written on both their sides; on the one side and on the other were they written. 

32:19   And it came to pass, as soon as he came nigh unto the camp, that he saw the calf, and the dancing: and Moses' anger waxed hot, and he cast the tables out of his hands, and brake them beneath the mount.

?

Allow me to voice my opinion. I don't believe that drums in and of themselves are evil. the problem comes in the way that they are used. It is the same with any gift that God has given, we always manage to pollute them. Food is good and was given us by our God, but when we become gluttons it becomes evil. The technology revolution is a blessing to spread the word across the whole world, but there are many evils associated with it. It is all in how the drums are used. If they are used to excite the people and make worship "fun" so we have more people paying tithes then it is evil and should not be used. However, If they are used in moderation to praise God then there is nothing wrong with using them.

Ezra....that statement is an opinion...

Where is the proof?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com