Adventist Online

Is music with drums along with rock/jazz/blues styles OK for worship in church? As long as the lyrics are good, what’s the problem? Does Ellen White have any light on the subject, or does she not speak to modern times?

It is impossible to estimate too largely the work that the Lord will accomplish through His proposed vessels in carrying out His mind and purpose. The things you have described as taking place in Indiana, the Lord has shown me would take place just before the close of probation. Every uncouth thing will be demonstrated. There will be shouting, with drums, music, and dancing. The senses of rational beings will become so confused that they cannot be trusted to make right decisions. And this is called the moving of the Holy Spirit. {2SM 36.2}
The Holy Spirit never reveals itself in such methods, in such a bedlam of noise. This is an invention of Satan to cover up his ingenious methods for making of none effect the pure, sincere, elevating, ennobling, sanctifying truth for this time. Better never have the worship of God blended with music than to use musical instruments to do the work which last January was represented to me would be brought into our camp meetings. The truth for this time needs nothing of this kind in its work of converting souls. A bedlam of noise shocks the senses and perverts that which if conducted aright might be a blessing. The powers of satanic agencies blend with the din and noise, to have a carnival, and this is termed the Holy Spirit's working.
{2SM 36.3}

Views: 4825

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

right on kathleen, good point. drums and loud rock music that belongs in the bars and taverns, and nightclubs, do not belong in church. The liquor-sellers and drug dealers revel in deviant "music" styles. I go to church to woship the Lord in spirit and truth not to dance on the pews and party down. can you imagine what Jesus would say if He walked into His church and a rock band was palying on the Holy Sabbath?
John 2:16 And said unto them, Take these things hence…………….Just like he drove out the moneychangers who profaned the temple, He would drive out the irreverent "woshippers" who profaned His sanctuary. People say they accept ellen white, then they turn around and bring drums in the church.
Lev 19:30 Ye shall keep my Sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.
Ellen White and God through His Word are both clear that drums are acceptable and encouraged in church. The extreme conservatism voices try to say they belong to drug dealers and nightclubs. Don't fall for it folks.
Amen Brother .... Amen.
You say plenty with no back-up. You do not have a single shred of proof for your assumptions.
It is impossible to estimate too largely the work that the Lord will accomplish through His proposed vessels in carrying out His mind and purpose. The things you have described as taking place in Indiana, the Lord has shown me would take place just before the close of probation. Every uncouth thing will be demonstrated. There will be shouting, with drums, music, and dancing. The senses of rational beings will become so confused that they cannot be trusted to make right decisions. And this is called the moving of the Holy Spirit. {2SM 36.2}
Ellen White calls drums in church "uncouth" thats not what you say! Why is that?
Because ... like with most things .... you can make Ellen White say most anything if you desire. I try to resist going down that path. Just because we interpret EGW and scripture differently .... should not give you license to abuse those with different thoughts from yours. Our God is a god of Love ... not of vain striving to be superior. May we all learn to love our fellow men and respect them and their experience with Jesus.
4him, your assertions are wrong, and show severe lack of jugdgment. Our God of love also denounces sin, do you? Have you truly given your burdens and sins to Jesus, the Sin-bearer? You speak of someone (it must be me) "abusing those" and some one is vainly trying to be superior. who is that? me? Are you the accuser of the brethren?
Rev 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
What are these sources? Can you show me the references?
Drums are ok. It's just the dynamics that are applied that might be inappropriate - and this applies to any instrument. It is not a battering of the drums that does it, but really using the drums to blend in to make music that is auditorily pleasing and appropriate - and again this applies to all instruments

A few months back, I visited a church with a little orchestra-like group of musicians - all played well, but the music was unpleasant - seems as though they were all vying for supermacy - a power struggle amongst the musicians. Great musicians, poor performance!

I couldn't hear the words the praise leaders were singing - and they were using microphones. The congregation didn't seem to know most of the praise songs, but enjoyed the beat - great rhythm by the way. Needless to say, I only stayed because it was already late - and also for the sake of observation. (The sermon was good)
Drums in Cultural events due to the Traditional Heritage they possess, I have no problem with but when we combine the DRUMS along with the Presence of the HOLY SPIRIT at a Devine Worship Service I really cant say that that is a Reverence Worship Service to be Presented Before the Throne of GOD........
right, lets keep drums out of the church and speak against that.
Melinda, I appreciate your observations, you know, I play guitar myself and many years ago played in rock bands and I also played drums. Some types of rythmns although pleasing, and perhaps energizing, really do not help the mind to truly focus upon God. It can cause a euphora similar to one that is drug induced and change behaviour. It is also deceptive like drugs are.Certain types of music have been used for thousands of years to induce certain behaviors. Rock music causes chemical changes in the brain that will induce aggressive behaviour, sensous attitudes, and does not help the true worship of God.
Deviant music styles in the church will replace true piety for God and substitute "good feelings"for the real moving of the Holy Spirit, thus the seeker can become lulled to sleep by this. Careful studies will expose this type of music as satan's attack upon the people of God.
Good points Melinda.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by