Adventist Online

Is music with drums along with rock/jazz/blues styles OK for worship in church? As long as the lyrics are good, what’s the problem? Does Ellen White have any light on the subject, or does she not speak to modern times?

It is impossible to estimate too largely the work that the Lord will accomplish through His proposed vessels in carrying out His mind and purpose. The things you have described as taking place in Indiana, the Lord has shown me would take place just before the close of probation. Every uncouth thing will be demonstrated. There will be shouting, with drums, music, and dancing. The senses of rational beings will become so confused that they cannot be trusted to make right decisions. And this is called the moving of the Holy Spirit. {2SM 36.2}
The Holy Spirit never reveals itself in such methods, in such a bedlam of noise. This is an invention of Satan to cover up his ingenious methods for making of none effect the pure, sincere, elevating, ennobling, sanctifying truth for this time. Better never have the worship of God blended with music than to use musical instruments to do the work which last January was represented to me would be brought into our camp meetings. The truth for this time needs nothing of this kind in its work of converting souls. A bedlam of noise shocks the senses and perverts that which if conducted aright might be a blessing. The powers of satanic agencies blend with the din and noise, to have a carnival, and this is termed the Holy Spirit's working.
{2SM 36.3}

Views: 4984

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is true that there are different ways to use the drums. There is the classical style and the rock style. The rock style is that which is the intended role of the trap set and it is one of the main driving instruments in this style of music; this style is not good however because of it's effects on the human body. The main way that someone is going to play the drums when they are in church is in the rock style, ie in the use of nothing none other than the trap set.
From my understanding of what you said in using the drums "to blend in to make music that is auditorily pleasing and appropriate," is referring to the classical style of music. Am I correct in this?
Drums are not deceptive. They are God given. Sometimes ..... WE are deceptive. But we can play drums and keep close to God. They are two different things.
I disagree, a study will show devaint music styles create in the listener a state similar to doing drugs,euphopria is produced, emotions and behaviour is changed, the person can have an addiction to the music similiar in mind response as that of some drugs.the idea that angels in heaven are playing drums and rock music serenading God is quite perverted. If we can't take Jesus to a rock concert, we have no business there.
It is not the drums that do that .... it is the one who is playing them. Anything can accomplish what you have outlined with the right musician.
Actually the trap set can do that because it is the accompanying and/or one of the main driving instruments of the rock style of music. Why do you think that you naturally cannot help but move to it? It is normal to feel that you have to move to this style of music, but this does not make it good.
Since I am talking about the rock style of music here, do you even know what meaning "rock 'n roll' and 'jazz' refer to? Look it up sometime if you don't have any idea.
I think the early rock-roll defination is fornication, which comes out of the 1950's.
it is both, you are saying that the pistol to someones head when the trigger is pulled had nothing to do with it, it was only the person.if the person has no gun, he must resort to other more difficult means to kill someone.Drums are the best instrument and the most effective one to produce the overpowering mesmerizing beat that serves to lead one like the pied piper to perdition. It has a bewitching influence on the willing listener as satan casts his spell upon the one under his influence, and eventually he will be snared and taken as he has no power of his own to resist. Those who willingly put themselves upon the enchanted ground, have no protection from the Mighty One of Israel, and are at risk of losing out on heaven. One false step leads to another and another, we will reap what we sow, God is NOT mocked!
Here's an idea. Play the song with the drums in it. Sing the song without drums or any kind of accompaniment. Check out what you body does when you hear it both ways. Drums bring about sensual feelings, bass guitar does too. I used to sing in bars when I didn't know better. I know the difference.
I don't believe God is into "shake your groove thing." We must see God's holiness.
I appreciate your consistant and Biblical support of different methods in support of our church such as drums which is very Biblical. Thank you Gabe. Your passion for the youth of our church is very needed in our church. I am glad you are here to voice it.
What Biblical support? neither of you have given any Biblical nor EGW support for your positions. You have given your opinions only. this blog is getting really boring and redundant. I think its time for prophecy.

Yesterday I attended an art class at St. Helena Hospital (which is the original site of the Sanitarium that SDA started) at the church. The Art class was fun. I had to use the men’s room and I looked into the sanctuary on the way back to the art class and due to the discussions like here about drums I was surprised to see on stage a set of drums.

I have been playing drums since about 1966. Drums are inaniimate objects and are not evil themselves. It depends on the heart and motives of the person playing an instrument. I have to my knowledge never been ”taken over by demons playing music.”

The late Louie Bellson, one of if not the greatest drummers in the world was also a wonderful Christian and a great witness by not only his musicianship, but also by his fine character and smiles as he played. He also composed and recorded very excellent sacred music that included drums by him and some of the finest musicians.

I have played drums for two different Christian organizations over many years. We played beautiful edifying music that harmed no one. I have been deeply involved in culture, being also a fine artist, art conservator and art dealer. 

Drums should be used only when appropriate and dynamics is very important. I avoid heavy metal, punk, hip hop and rap, Satanic bands such as Black Sabbath.

But not all rock, blues, or jazz is evil. Some of the most beautiful music has been done in jazz etc.

Making blanket statements about music is painting with a broad brush. God gave us art and music for us, as he invented the eye and the ear.

Finally, regarding the Adventist Health System. It is a wonderful, loving and excellent system. I have received excellent care and the staff are wonderful. It is the finest witness for Christ founded by the SDA. Some of the finest people I know are SDA members. My intent is to express my experience and point of view. I am not here to argue. If someone dislikes drums, that's fine, stay away from drums. I can’t speak for others but I have never been used in an evil way in playing drums or been harmed. Some famous musicians are sold out to Lucifer and are routinely taken over, demons playing the instrument by controlling the person. 

Sometimes there are more demons in churches and religious people than in bars and night clubs. The spirits of religion, bondage and Kundalini being manifested.

Every situation must be judged as situations are unique. I have also heard excellent music in my several years attendance at an SDA church where I made a lot of friends. I have fond memories of my attendance there and learned and shared a lot.

What ever we do should be to the glory of God. 

Psalm 100 ”1. A Psalm of praise.Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endure to all generations.”

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service