Adventist Online

E.G.W. DIRECTED SDA NOT TO PURSUE GOD'S MIRACLES BECAUSE OF COUNTERFEIT MIRACLES

The following was copied from section of Charimatic Experiences In Early Seventh Day Adventist History by Arthur L. White.. See PDF.

”Counterfeit Healings [Top of this Section]

However, just as other special blessings made possible through the Holy Spirit have been counterfeited, so have miraculous healings been counterfeited. Ellen White warned:

"Let none cherish the idea that special providences or miraculous manifestations are to be the proof of the genuineness of their work or of the ideas they advocate. . . . "Satan will work in a most subtle manner to introduce human inventions clothed with angel garments. But the light from the Word is shining amid the moral darkness; and the Bible will never be superseded by miraculous manifestations. The truth must be studied, it must be searched for as hidden treasure. Wonderful illuminations will not be given aside from the Word, or to take the place of it. Cling to the Word, receive the ingrafted Word, which will make men wise unto salvation. . . .

"The wonderful, the marvelous, will be represented and presented. Through satanic delusions, wonderful miracles, the claims of human agents will be urged. Beware of all this. "Christ has given warning, so that none need accept falsehood for truth. The only channel through which the Spirit operates is that of the truth. . . . Our faith and hope are founded, not in feeling, but in God." --Selected Messages, book 2, pp. 48, 49.

She explained why we cannot depend on miracles today, though Christ often worked through miracles:

"The way in which Christ worked was to preach the Word, and to relieve suffering by miraculous works of healing. But I am instructed that we cannot now work in this way, for Satan will exercise his power by working miracles. God's

servants today could not work by means of miracles, because spurious works of healing, claiming to be divine, will be wrought.

"For this reason the Lord has

Page 14

marked out a way in which His people are to carry forward a work of physical healing, combined with the teaching of the Word. Sanitariums are to be established, and with these institutions are to be connected workers who will carry forward genuine medical missionary work. Thus a guarding influence is thrown around those who come to the sanitariums for treatment."--Ibid., p. 54. (Emphasis supplied.)”

Views: 884

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

James said, "If you received that you would know that you know that you know whether I am part of the body of Christ or not. You would not be judging by the flesh and by carnality and bias."

So you are condemning us for following the Bible?

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

"But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts." (1 Thessalonians 2:4)

"To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." (Isaiah 8:20)

James said: "There are many other scriptures that support my position"

I am sure there is James but you seem to ignore that there is many texts that points out that what you are saying is from satan. You need to keep in mind that one text does not trump another, you need to reconcile them all. Because all of God's word is true.  

James,

Please read the post to which you are responding. For your benefit I reproduce the first part which you appear to have completely ignored:

The word μερισμοις is present in the original Greek (both Westcott Hort and Textus Receptus) and is not italicised in the KJV. It is translated as "gifts" in the KJV, "distributions" in Bullinger's Companion Bible (Bullinger refers to "gifts" in his Commentary), also "distributions" in the REV, it is "gifts" in the Peshitta of the Aramaic and in Tyndale.

For completeness sake I have also looked at the Byzantine Greek of Hebrew 2:4 and the word μερισμοις is also present there as well. 

So, when you say, "there is no corresponding text in the manuscripts", which manuscripts are you talking about? 

To repeat, the word μερισμοις (translated as "gifts" in the KJV) is present in Heb.2:4 in the Textus Receptus, the Byzantine and Westcott Hort's Greek. 

In the KJV the entire verse is: "God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?" (Hebrews 2:4 KJV) So, the only word that is italicised in that verse is the word "them".

As I said before, you are completely wrong on this point, the word μερισμοις is clearly present and the corresponding translation is not italicised.

Its italicized in my KJV in 1 Corinthians 12, 13, and 14. I don’t know what kind of version you have?

James said, "I don’t know what kind of version you have?"

I have a version where Hebrews 2:4 is not a part of 1 Cor. 12-14.

Acts 2:38; “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The holy spirit is the gift of God. The manifestations come with the gift, every believer receives the ability to manifest holy spirit, though most do not. If you received a flash light as a gift, the manifestations of the flash light would be light and heat. They are not gifts but come with it.

If you had manifested holy spirit in all its nine manifestations, then you would know.

These things have been lost for 2000 years and have been shrouded in unbelief, fear, lack of desire, great opposition, ignorance, wrong doctrines, and myths and misconceptions.

Furthermore, the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. God works with us through cooperation, as in hupotasso. God energizes the power, but we must do our part. God does not take over a believer. It is a cooperative effort.

In both my experience and observing thousands of others In the fellowships I ran, attended as well as in classes with sessions with manifeststions, never was anyone taken over. Believers are not robots.

James said  "The manifestations come with the gift," 

The Bible says 1Co 12:7  But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 
1Co 12:8  For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 
1Co 12:9  To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 
1Co 12:10  To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 
1Co 12:11  But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.  (KJV)

I understand By this The Holy Spirit distributes gifts as He decides not as you want. 

James said, "They are not gifts but come with it."

But this is not what the Bible says.

"God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?" (Hebrews 2:4)

"Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will." (1 Corinthians 12:4-11)

"And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way." (1 Corinthians 12:28-31)

"Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;" (Romans 12:6)

Here are three passages (see Deut.19:15) stating that the gifts are distributed according as God wills - not as we will. 

The word "gifts" in these passages are present in the original manuscripts - just to pre-empt any allegations to the contrary.

What about Paul saying all may prophecy and he that speaks in tongues pray that he may interpret if they are gifts? I could go on about the Two Greek words used for another (and why, another leads people to think they don't have ability to do all nine manifestations) which is not evident in English. I posted that several years ago. But whats the use?

Those that desire and believe they can operate the manifestation and are doing so. Those that don't are not.

I as well as those that believe to do so will continue to manifest holy spirit as inspired and needed. You can continue not doing so? You and others will not receive the many benefits.

James said, "What about Paul saying all may prophecy and he that speaks in tongues pray that he may interpret if they are gifts?"

Scripture says  1Co 14:3  But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 

1Co 14:19  yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue. 

1Co 14:22  Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe. 

I understand by this that tounges always takes a backseat to Prophecy. 

James said, "Those that desire and believe they can operate the manifestation and are doing so. Those that don't are not."

I am afraid these kind of statements are fairly meaningless. Those who are caught up in false religions will always argue that they are not. It begins with contradicting the Bible and end up with a 'well I am right anyway' argument.

"And it will perform great signs so as to make fire descend from Heaven on The Earth before the people. And it will seduce those living on The Earth by the signs that were given to it to perform before the Beast, to tell the dwellers on Earth to make an image to the Beast, which had the wound by the sword and lived." (Revelation 13:13-14)

There is a vast difference of having done the manifestations and those that only read about it.

You judge you know not what. 

The SDA is not the place that encourages but rather discourages anyone from operating the manifestations. Anyone doing so is proclaimed Satanic, Counterfeit etc.

1 Corinthians 12, 13 and 14 must be understood in context and in light of other scriptures, the sacred secrets, as well as study of some Greek words for meaning. Denominational bias not with standing. There are a lot of good things about the SDA, but like majority of Christianity the lack of manifestations leaves the church without revelation guidance, healiing, deliverance and evangelical effectiveness.

The body of Christ is suffering the consequences of unbelief and apostasy in this area. You are not functioning like the first century church.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service