Adventist Online

E.G.W. DIRECTED SDA NOT TO PURSUE GOD'S MIRACLES BECAUSE OF COUNTERFEIT MIRACLES

The following was copied from section of Charimatic Experiences In Early Seventh Day Adventist History by Arthur L. White.. See PDF.

”Counterfeit Healings [Top of this Section]

However, just as other special blessings made possible through the Holy Spirit have been counterfeited, so have miraculous healings been counterfeited. Ellen White warned:

"Let none cherish the idea that special providences or miraculous manifestations are to be the proof of the genuineness of their work or of the ideas they advocate. . . . "Satan will work in a most subtle manner to introduce human inventions clothed with angel garments. But the light from the Word is shining amid the moral darkness; and the Bible will never be superseded by miraculous manifestations. The truth must be studied, it must be searched for as hidden treasure. Wonderful illuminations will not be given aside from the Word, or to take the place of it. Cling to the Word, receive the ingrafted Word, which will make men wise unto salvation. . . .

"The wonderful, the marvelous, will be represented and presented. Through satanic delusions, wonderful miracles, the claims of human agents will be urged. Beware of all this. "Christ has given warning, so that none need accept falsehood for truth. The only channel through which the Spirit operates is that of the truth. . . . Our faith and hope are founded, not in feeling, but in God." --Selected Messages, book 2, pp. 48, 49.

She explained why we cannot depend on miracles today, though Christ often worked through miracles:

"The way in which Christ worked was to preach the Word, and to relieve suffering by miraculous works of healing. But I am instructed that we cannot now work in this way, for Satan will exercise his power by working miracles. God's

servants today could not work by means of miracles, because spurious works of healing, claiming to be divine, will be wrought.

"For this reason the Lord has

Page 14

marked out a way in which His people are to carry forward a work of physical healing, combined with the teaching of the Word. Sanitariums are to be established, and with these institutions are to be connected workers who will carry forward genuine medical missionary work. Thus a guarding influence is thrown around those who come to the sanitariums for treatment."--Ibid., p. 54. (Emphasis supplied.)”

Views: 1030

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As you judge, you shall be judged. Making blanket statements of counterfeit and claiming its all of the Devil is easy to do. What is easier, to claim counterfeit or to operate the manifestations of holy spirit in love which requires faith? If you were so right in your faith, why don't you speak in tongues which is a sign of those that believe as Jesus said, and as Pail said "forbid not to speak in tongues. Speaking in tongues by freedom of will in faith IS THE SIGN that Jesus, the Father, and the holy spirit (the gift of God) all chosed to be manifested first in the Book of Acts as sign and proof of the new birth and of salvation. This is fact, not feelings.

You do not understand because you do not desire to understand. You are caught up in SDA dogma, instead of walking by the spirit of God. You are carnally minded and biased, not able to discern spirits by receiving revelation from God directly about what is spiritually going on in a given situation. Please do not refer to Kundalini spirits as I have never been taken over, slain in the spirit or did any manifestation of holy spirit through relinquishing freedom of will. You make assumptions not intimately being familiar with thr spirit of God. God intended believers to ooerate the manifesrations by walking by the spirit. The SDA and Christianity in general majority is not an environment that encourages the holy spirit to be manifested. Where is genuine spirit of God manifested? It is seldom seen unfortunately.

James said:  "The SDA and Christianity in general majority is not an environment that encourages the holy spirit to be manifested. Where is genuine spirit of God manifested?"

Is that right James? Jesus said this: John 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. 

Did you see Know God! It did not say familiar spirits. 

Yer barking up the wrong tree salvation is not about displays of spirits and peacock feathers. It's About Knowing God and be faithful to Him and that includes the Sabbath that you have rejected. 

The spirit of God was manifested in the first century church, starting on the day of Pentecost onwards. Tongues is a sign that a person is born again. That is how it was known that first the apostles and later that even the gentiles had received the holy spirit.

You proclaim your righreousness by works of keeping the Sabbath, not eating pork, not working on the Sabbath, not wearing jewelry. Paul discussed these things extensively about esteeming days, etc. 

You make jest of speaking in tongues by calling it happy clapper. You blaspheme the spirit of God thereby. All the manifestations of holy spirit are given to every man to profit withal. We are all sinners, though saved by grace hopefully. You puff yoursekf up as SDA. I tell you all you can all operate all 9 manifestations of holy spirit, as I am no better than anyone else, except I believe in manifesting holy spirit to benefit myself and others. You judge me forgetting you still sin also, by blaspheming and quenching the holy spirit and hating me in the extreme. Even if I was a rank unbeliever you are commanded to love with the love of God.

I am here with the purpose of declaring the truth about the power of God manifested in love and obedience to the spirit of God whether you think so or not. You are not meek to the spirit of God. You walk carnally judging by the flesh and will worship not recognuzing the spirit of God in others, but judge strictly by SDA criteria. A person could follow all SDA doctrines and yet either not be saved, or even work knowingly or unknowingly for the Devil. Discerning of spirits is not based on outward appearances of behavior, but by revelation directly from God about the presence or none presence of spirit(s) and whether they be of God or not? Outward behavior not with standing alone.

The Devil infiltrates the body of Christ with Satanist agents in all denominations and none-denominational by mimicking the expected behavior in the group being infiltrated. You judge by the outer appearance and not by the heart. Only God knows the heart, so one must listen to God and inquire of Him instead of judging by the flesh and outer appearances and behavior expected of SDA.

You openly blaspheme the spirit of God and proclaim others as being counterfeit and you judge Leon, and Catholics and others who may be born again and brethren despite wrong doctrine. Most believers if not all have some error and sin. How dare you judge others proclaiming in essence that they are going to hell. Is that not what the pharisees did to others including to Jesus? You judge presumptuously without authority of knowing by the spirit by revelation, but judge by outward standards based on SDA doctrine, just like the Catholics who judge by their dogma and commandments. How are you any different? One must be careful in judging others, better then to look to your own walk first.

James said: Tongues is a sign that a person is born again.

I can not find that in my Bible could you be kind to show chapter and verse, please.

James said: You make jest of speaking in tongues by calling it happy clapper. You blaspheme the spirit of God thereby.

Indeed I would blaspheme God if it was from God but it's pretty clear where it comes from

SDA doctrines are based on the Bible. Happy Clapper doctrines are not.

Tongues is a sign that someone is born again, that they have received the spirit. In the Book of Acts when people received the holy spirit they spoke in tongues and or prophesied, including the Gentiles; 

Acts 10; " 44¶ While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.  45And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.  46For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,  47Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?  48And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days."

Acts 19: "1And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,  2He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.  3And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.  4Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.  5When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.  6And when Paul had laid hishands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied."

There are other records also in acts, where they saw that the person had received the holy spirit, what was it they saw? They hreard them speak in tongues, a sign of those that believe as Jesus said. It is so simple, you have a problem with tongues and claim I am counterfeit. You are no expert on the holy spirit or any of the nine manifestations. Have you manifested one of them? Tell us expert, what you have manifested in faith?

You must remember that whenever the gift of tongues is given, it is always given when there are foreigners present as is evident in the three passages you listed above.

But what would happen if the Holy Spirit is poured out when everyone present speaks the same language? Acts four has the answer.

Notice that in Acts chapter 4 you have a repeat of the experience described in chapter 2. The place was shaken and they were filled with the Holy Spirit, but because there were no foreigners present, the gift of tongues was absent. Acts 4:31 says, "And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness."

The purpose for the baptism of the Holy Spirit is not to mutter or babble unintelligible sounds, but rather to have power for preaching. This is why Jesus said, "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth" (Acts 1:8).

Regarding JasonM reply below. Speaking in tongues is first not a gift but one of nine manifestations as gifts is italiciized in I Cor. 12, 13 and 14. Second the insistense that tongues  is only for evangelism is without authority or general experience of millions whi do speak in tongues including myself. 

Failure to understand what Paul says about the manifestations and assumptions made by those that have never spoken in tongues and fears, wrong doctrines and ideas are all problematic. Correct dictrine will be confirmed by the spirit innoperation and vice versa; that the Word confirms the spirit. Casting aspersions on me or others by those unexperienced in practice as well as lacking doctrinal understanding is wrong and divisive and not with proper authority or reason to cast aspersions or attack others. My SDA friend who speaks in tongues understands and agrees with me on tongues as well as the other manifestations because my friend speaks with freedom of will in languages not known by him. 

There is also great misunderstanding that the spirit in manifestation takes one over or that the person is  in loss of control. The spirit works by cooperation with the spirit of God and without loss of freedom of will. That is the major difference of true manifestations and counterfeit which are viokative of freedom of will as demons are the cause of counterfeit. The believer must speak by moving lips and tongue and vocal chords etc. but the words are formed as the spirit gives the utterance. Tongues akso are for the edification of the believer speaking, to magnify God, to pray in the spirit, to talk to God directly by the spirit, to give thanks well, to speak sacred secrets, as a sign abd proof of the holy spirit, and in conjunction with interpretation to edify, comfort and exhort the believers.

Lastly, tongues may be understood by listeners other than the speaker, but not generally and not always. God may choose the language given for someone that knows that language, but it is rare and not a requirement. For those that have no tradition or practice of manifestations in operation in the body of Christ are hardly experts to be authoritative without both proper understanding of both doctrine and practice having neither dictrinal understanding or practice. The holy spirit is known by both the scriptures and experience together.

I Corinthians chapter 2:

"1And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.  2For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.  3And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.  4And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:  5That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.  6Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: (Greek; Teleios meaning mature, fully initiated into the sacred secrets as revealed to Paul by revelation of Jesus Christ) yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:  7But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery (Greek; Musterion; meaning sacred or divine secret), even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:  8Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.  9But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.  10But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God."

Paul demonstrated the power of God by the spirit of God. Therefore, you are dead wrong in your statements, not knowing the power of God nor His manifestations which has been given to the body of Christ, as you are yet carnal, not even being able to discern spirits, and your judgement is false and contradicts what Paul said above.

Regarding JasonM reply below. Speaking in tongues is first not a gift but one of nine manifestations as gifts is italiciized in I Cor. 12, 13 and 14. Second the insistense that tongues is only for evangelism is without authority or general experience of millions whi do speak in tongues including myself.
Failure to understand what Paul says about the manifestations and assumptions made by those that have never spoken in tongues and fears, wrong doctrines and ideas are all problematic. Correct dictrine will be confirmed by the spirit innoperation and vice versa; that the Word confirms the spirit. Casting aspersions on me or others by those unexperienced in practice as well as lacking doctrinal understanding is wrong and divisive and not with proper authority or reason to cast aspersions or attack others. My SDA friend who speaks in tongues understands and agrees with me on tongues as well as the other manifestations because my friend speaks with freedom of will in languages not known by him.
There is also great misunderstanding that the spirit in manifestation takes one over or that the person is in loss of control. The spirit works by cooperation with the spirit of God and without loss of freedom of will. That is the major difference of true manifestations and counterfeit which are viokative of freedom of will as demons are the cause of counterfeit. The believer must speak by moving lips and tongue and vocal chords etc. but the words are formed as the spirit gives the utterance. Tongues akso are for the edification of the believer speaking, to magnify God, to pray in the spirit, to talk to God directly by the spirit, to give thanks well, to speak sacred secrets, as a sign abd proof of the holy spirit, and in conjunction with interpretation to edify, comfort and exhort the believers.
Lastly, tongues may be understood by listeners other than the speaker, but not generally and not always. God may choose the language given for someone that knows that language, but it is rare and not a requirement. For those that have no tradition or practice of manifestations in operation in the body of Christ are hardly experts to be authoritative without both proper understanding of both doctrine and practice having neither dictrinal understanding or practice. The holy spirit is known by both the scriptures and experience together.

James if you have a Bible with Revelation in it here is what it says about those who are saved: 

Rev 14:12  Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. 

It does not say here are the ones who speak in tounges, so speaking in tounges is not required for salvation, but keeping God's commandment's is and here you seem to have big fat fail.   

Tongues is not for salvation, but Jesus said those that believe will speak with new tongues. lay hands on the sick etc. Paul also speaks highly of it, but not to be used wrongly by everyone speaking at once in tongues without and without interpretation that the body of believers may be edified, comforted and  exhorted n their minds.

You keep judging me though you have not seen me manifest anything in person (requiring two witnesses for a matter to be established), and you have not received revelation of discerning of spirits on this. Beware! As you judge it will come right back to you sooner or later. You keep referring to the counterfeit, but what if I am telling the truth, then you have been blasheming the spirit of God and may be in judgment yourself? God does not take kindly to those that go against the holy spirit. I have warned you before. You cannot learn apparantly, and you cannot think except in a closed minded SDA dogma way. If you had manifested holy spirit, then you would understand, not by theory but by the spirit. Peter received a vision in Acts regarding the unclean animals as God wanted him to know that the Gentiles were also accepted by God.

Now if you were there then, you would probably say Peter was receiving a counterfeit vision from the Devil. How do you know? You keep refering to the commandments. I follow the commandments written to the body of Christ, Romans through Thessalonians. But even so we all sin, don't you. Do you obey perfectly, with no sins of commission or ommission? You use commandments as the test, do you perfectly pass all commandments. What about Paul's admonition if anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, he is supposed to acknowledge that these are the commandments of God, regarding I Cor 12, 13 and 14, and even all the epistles above are in essence commandments of God. Do you follow those perfectly? Including the adomition to speak in tongues and to covet to prophesy. Have you prophesied lately?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service