Adventist Online

What caused the visions of EGW to stop altogether after the 1870's?

Were dreams the only source of information after that time? Or how was the information received?

Views: 1076

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, you have it over me then as I did not attend any Adventist schools.  I converted late in life.  Now, I wonder why she stopped in 1874?  Perhaps the EG White Estate could answer that question.

I'm sure they have an answer. I know she speaks of dreams later, but apparently no visions.

Hello David

The type of Visions experienced by Ellen white are associated with some neurological conditions that lessen over ones life span. Also visions were very popular in the middle of the 19 century, but as the 20 century approached many of the visionaries were debunked so people were less likely to believe in them. I would say that in my study of her visions many of them reflected what she was going through at the time, and are ideas were gleaned from those around her. For example the health message started with Joseph Bates (a vegetarian) and was extended through the research of Kellogg and other health reformers. Ellen Whites writings and visions were often reproductions of the works of others. She did produce some novel insight, but the vast majority reflected the works and ideas of other Christian authors and early Adventist pioneers.

Leon

Leon

Joseph Smith had a health message long before Ellen White, John Weseley also I believe. It was not an uncommon message for the times.

Keith

Keith, I've spoken with Mormons about their health message, and to me it seems rather insipid.

With regards to tobacco, they say No.

With regards to alcohol they say Yes, wine is ok in moderation. No to strong drink.

With regards to diet they say everything is ok in moderation.

Stimulants (tea and coffee), some seem to say No, while others say, Yes, ok in moderation.

I didn't say their message was a good one, I just said they had one.

The way they follow their message is much the same as SDA's follow ours. Even being vegan doesn't give a perfect diet.

@Herbert Leon Bryan,

That's an interesting interpretation correlated with the history at the time.  Kellogg and Post (of cereal fame) were Adventists; however I would also say that it draws from Biblical sources too.

Hello David

I agree Ellen Whites visions and insights were drawn from biblical sources also. From what I have researched they were a compliation of information gleaned from other health reformers, the early Millieriate and Christian Connection theologins, and her own experiences.

Leon

If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.1 Cor 14:37

In other words, you are not qualified nor do you have the discernment to judge whether it be from the Lord or not. 

O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.

Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things.

For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.

All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.

They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.

10 Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold.

11 For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.

I'm sorry, but I do not understand your point.  If people could not discern whether it was from God or not, whether they were a prophet or not, what disasters would befall them?  And as a matter of fact, this has been the case over the years, including the famous Waco case.  If you cannot tell True from False, how can you tell Heavenly from Evil?

And how do you discern whether its from God?

@Jay,

I'm sorry if I did not make that clear.  Certainly, if it's true, then it can be from God and Heaven-sent.  However, you also want to check to see how the message was delivered, would the messenger have spoken like that?  Did you sense any fear or evil near?  Did you feel comforted by the words spoken, even though you may not have fully understood them at the time?  Did you pray for help before you slept?  As the Bible says, In the Last Days, your young men will see visions and your old men will dream dreams.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service