Adventist Online

What caused the visions of EGW to stop altogether after the 1870's?

Were dreams the only source of information after that time? Or how was the information received?

Views: 1076

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John

Don't say no one, it is an absolute. And I have heard many make the argument that Women can not serve as leaders, but they can be prophets. I have asked the question to the WO opposers what jobs can women do, and it has yet to be responded to.

Yes, there is even a posted picture in these robes on this blog.

Leon

Prophecy does not an Elder make. I have been shown things that have come true.  It doesn't mean I need to be an Elder.  Gifts of the Spirit don't convey leadership.  They are simply a tool, in God's tool belt to accomplish His design.

Keith 

"the writings of Ellen White are not the Spirit of Prophecy mentioned in revelation."

That may be your Idea, I am sure many will not agree with you.

Keith is correct, The Spirit of Prophecy is the testimony of Jesus (Revelation 19:10)

And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness (testimony) of Jesus, and for the word of God…

The testimony of Jesus is about the word of God. It is about the Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him (Revelation 1:1)

So Ian

Where is she mentioned?

Leon

Leon

Either you are pulling my leg or you do not read your Bible.

Prophecy is knowledge; its knowledge about what God is doing. This is why in Amos 3:7 God says,

Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

New Living Translation

Indeed, the Sovereign LORD never does anything until he reveals his plans to his servants the prophets.

GOD'S WORD® Translation

Certainly, the Almighty LORD doesn't do anything unless he [first] reveals his secret to his servants the prophets.

God reveals these things through His Spirit, He is not waiting on the prophet, in God’s mind the events has already happen, that’s why we are told we have a sure word of prophecy.

20But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, 21for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God. (2 Peter 1:20)

The Scriptures (the Bible) only is God’s vision, and in them He tells us His plans, it’s a sure word; something we can count on.  The Church as an instrument of God, has the responsibility of directing our minds towards that sure word of prophecy; the Scriptures, and not some other source.

We may use other sources to edify our learning and our growth in the grace and knowledge of Christ Jesus, but if those other sources doesn’t align with the sure word of prophecy, they must be rejected.

God says what’s in His word, and He performs His acts according to His Own word

…so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:11

Indeed Bryan the bible makes it clear.

Amo 3:7  Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

As you can see Being a prophet is a thankless task, especially with some around here as we can see.

Yes Ian

So where are the contemporary prophets.

Leon

Leon

I know you are not one of them

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members: