Adventist Online

18. The Gift of Prophecy
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying
mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G.
White. As the Lord’s messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative
source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction,
and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard
by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts
2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)

Rev.   12:17 .... the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

If EGW has the testimony of Jesus, then she is among God's remnant people. But her gift does not make the whole SDA church the remnant.  All who are of the remnant must have the testimony of Jesus, themselves.

Ez.  14:20 Though Noah, Daniel, and Job, [were] in it, [as] I live, saith the Lord GOD, they shall deliver neither son nor daughter; they shall [but] deliver their own souls by their righteousness.

Here is the promise:

Acts  2:37  .... Men [and] brethren, what shall we do? 

2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Acts 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 

2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: 
2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

All flesh, not just EGW's flesh.  This Holy Ghost is the Spirit of Prophecy, which enables you to prophesy, and testify of Jesus:

1 Cor.  12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and [that] no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

The gift of the Holy Ghost comes through preaching, or prophesying, which makes Jesus known.  EGW is not the only one who can give you this:

Romans  10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Gal. 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

2 Tim.  4:14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

Acts 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

You don't have to be prophets to prophesy:

1 Sam.  19:20  ...the spirit of God was upon the messengers of Saul, and they also prophesied

19:21 And when it was told Saul, he sent other messengers, and they prophesied likewise. And Saul sent messengers again the third time, and they prophesied also.

1 Cor.  14:24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or [one] unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: 

14:25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on [his] face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

But, you would be acting the part of prophets, at least temporarily:

Num.  11:25 And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that [was] upon him, and gave [it] unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, [that], when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.

11:29 And Moses said unto him, Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the LORD'S people were prophets, [and] that the LORD would put his spirit upon them!

In addressing John, the angel is telling us what we must do.

Rev. 10:11 And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings.

Matt. 10:32  Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

Views: 743

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amen Keith I understand this has been amended in the church manual, before when they read the declarations they would read E. White as accepted as Spirit of Prophecy but they no longer state it out aloud; you are absolutely right although she has her place in our beliefs we are baptised as Jesus was see Mark 1:10

Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. Likewise the outpouring of the spirit on the disciples.

The problems with this statement, are:

#1. It fosters Laodiceans overconfidence.  "I am rich, .. and have need of nothing", (Rev. 3:17).  "We are the remnant because EGW had the gift of prophecy.  She will always have the gift, so we will always be the remnant."  But, nothing is unconditional.

#2. We require converts to agree with error before they can be baptized.

#3. Anti-SDA sites claim the SDA church is a cult, and their biggest argument is that the SDA church requires you to accept EGW as a prophetess before you can join.

Let's say you get a tract, and Google it, and find out it's Adventist, so Google "adventist".  You get the official site, 3 wikipedia pages, and then this:

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Seventh-Day%20Adve...

"Ellen White founded the Seventh-day Adventist church and members must vow to believe that she was a prophet! From the 27 Fundamental beliefs, #17"

Why would we hand them such a strong argument against us?  Honest seekers of truth will throw the tract away.  Satan's master plan worked perfectly.

Making people agree with so many things does not agree with the ideology of the Apostles, or with the early SDA leaders.  Eventually we will have to repent of this failure, and of breaking the covenant made by the founders of our church, and go back to that original covenant:

"And the church is a body of Christians associated together with the simple covenant to keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus." The Review and heralld. Vol. 57, No. 1

I lost my son to drugs at age 28, because of his strict conviction the GC taught you have to be perfect. A group at southern collage convinced him southern was Babylon and the latter rain had begun. They convinced him to leave school and join their commune where the GC was read Twenty four seven sevens You had to obtain perfection, and rebuke others or you would be responsible for there sins.

I can't blame the book any more than the people that truly believed it was the door to salvation.

Keith

Sorry to give you the wrong idea.  I do believe EGW had the gift of prophecy.  My concern is the belief that her gift makes us all the remnant, and that this belief is a test of fellowship.  My rebellion is different from yours.  If you want to discuss how your son fell to drug addiction because of what he read in The Great Controversy, then you should start a thread about that.  Thank you.

I think what you said here is , EGW had the gift of prophecy, the question I have, is she the spirit of prophecy? There is a great difference. Act. 2 tells us there will be many prophets in the last days. Will the SDA church have another?

I'm not sure that EGW having the gift of prophecy makes me a remnant.

Did having Moses  make Israel God's chosen people?

I share your concern, I think you are saying we possibly interpret the verse the testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of prophecy wrong. Give me your thoughts on that.

Keith

I covered that in the OP.  The Holy Ghost, aka, "the Spirit of God", aka, "The Spirit of Truth", aka, "the Comforter", aka, "The Spirit of Prophecy".  The Holy Ghost is called by what he is doing at the time.  Since we "must prophesy again before many peoples", what the Holy Ghost needs to give us is prophecy, which is what we're all about.

Read the OP.  It's mostly Bible verses with minimal comment.  If I've twisted or taken anything out of context, feel free to correct me with your wisdom, and I'll be corrected.

I lost my son to drugs at age 28, because of his strict conviction the GC taught you have to be perfect. A group at southern collage convinced him southern was Babylon and the latter rain had begun. They convinced him to leave school and join their commune where the GC was read Twenty four seven sevens You had to obtain perfection, and rebuke others or you would be responsible for there sins.

I can't blame the book any more than the people that truly believed it was the door to salvation.

Keith

i am so sorry!

my heart just broke

i have been around self supporting mindset ministries and the cronies since a kid

and the focus on being perfect or straight or whatever can drive you to kill yourself

cause we as humans can not attain it and hope is lost

hope is very important as a human and a Christian

JESUS is the HOPE

not us!

All who are of the remnant must have the testimony of Jesus, themselves

BINGO! So the testimony of Jesus or the spirit of prophecy isn't the exclusive forté of any one person.

as i see it, some places may be interested in numbers, and so people get baptized without real preparation...i don't see how a person can be baptized as an adventist without at least some instruction on egw...she seems to be at the center of so much controversy in our church...

we have to recognize that huge numbers of people leave our church through the back door all the time..no doubt it's because they really weren't prepared and grounded in the first place...

Belief in the SoP as manifested in the ministry of EGW is a fundamental belief of the SDA Church not of Christianity. It is in the fundamental beliefs of the SDA Church because that has become our creed, our definition of what SDAs (as opposed to Christians) believe.

Baptism occurs as a result of a decision to commit ones life to Christ.

Agreement with the role of EGWs writings form part of the profession of our faith - as do the non-use of alcohol, tobacco, coffee, etc. That profession of faith is what determines us as SDAs as opposed to 'just' being Christians.

In many SDA Churches baptism (into Christ) comes first and then the examination of the candidates determines whether they are to be accepted into the fellowship of the SDA Church.

I believe that these are (and should be) two distinct acts but unfortunately because we perform both acts at the same time we confuse the issue.

Personally, I delayed baptism for a couple of years due to the 'issue' of EGW being a prophetess. Looking back I was ready to give my life to Christ a long time before I was ready to enter fellowship with the SDA Church but I didn't get baptised because baptism meant professing the SDA faith - and I wasn't prepared to claim something that I did not believe.

I think that it is right that we have a definition of what it means to be an SDA - and I recall that the early Adventist church had a problem with some professing one set of beliefs and others proclaiming a different set, hence the issuing of credentials to 'authorise' SDA preachers. However, it does seem to me that we insist in baptising people into the SDA Church rather than into Christ. When people are baptised without knowledge of the 27, 28, or however many we have at the time, fundamental beliefs, how can we claim to have brought them into the SDA faith?

Sadly, I see the problem but I cannot see any way out of it. 

It's time for us to be zealous and repent of these artificial hindrances to fellowship, and return to the covenant of our fathers:

"And the church is a body of Christians associated together with the simple covenant to keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus."  (Review and Herald, January 4,1881.)

At the time of the above quote (1881) the church was using the 1874 Baptismal vows. Vow #14 says as follows:

"Do you recognize that the remnant church has the Spirit of Prophecy, and that this has been manifested to this church through the writings of Ellen G. White? Rev. 12:17; 19:10."

You will see that this is a very specific statement and much stronger than the one in current use. As to whether this is a hindrance to fellowship, doesn't that depend on what one believes? Some may claim that #9 (tithing) is a hindrance to fellowship others may claim that #10 (unclean food, alcohol, tobacco, drugs) is a hindrance. Surely the answer is that it is an individual's choice whom they enter into fellowship with?

I suspect that you have also slipped into this mindset of confusing baptism with fellowship. Ellen White, tithing, unclean food, etc., should not be a hindrance to baptism but when it comes to entering into fellowship with the body of SDA believers it is a different question. The problem is that, having from our inception fused baptism and fellowship together we are not going to separate them now.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service