Adventist Online

18. The Gift of Prophecy
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying
mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G.
White. As the Lord’s messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative
source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction,
and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard
by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts
2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)

Rev.   12:17 .... the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

If EGW has the testimony of Jesus, then she is among God's remnant people. But her gift does not make the whole SDA church the remnant.  All who are of the remnant must have the testimony of Jesus, themselves.

Ez.  14:20 Though Noah, Daniel, and Job, [were] in it, [as] I live, saith the Lord GOD, they shall deliver neither son nor daughter; they shall [but] deliver their own souls by their righteousness.

Here is the promise:

Acts  2:37  .... Men [and] brethren, what shall we do? 

2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Acts 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 

2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: 
2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

All flesh, not just EGW's flesh.  This Holy Ghost is the Spirit of Prophecy, which enables you to prophesy, and testify of Jesus:

1 Cor.  12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and [that] no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

The gift of the Holy Ghost comes through preaching, or prophesying, which makes Jesus known.  EGW is not the only one who can give you this:

Romans  10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Gal. 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

2 Tim.  4:14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

Acts 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

You don't have to be prophets to prophesy:

1 Sam.  19:20  ...the spirit of God was upon the messengers of Saul, and they also prophesied

19:21 And when it was told Saul, he sent other messengers, and they prophesied likewise. And Saul sent messengers again the third time, and they prophesied also.

1 Cor.  14:24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or [one] unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: 

14:25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on [his] face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

But, you would be acting the part of prophets, at least temporarily:

Num.  11:25 And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that [was] upon him, and gave [it] unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, [that], when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.

11:29 And Moses said unto him, Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the LORD'S people were prophets, [and] that the LORD would put his spirit upon them!

In addressing John, the angel is telling us what we must do.

Rev. 10:11 And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings.

Matt. 10:32  Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

Views: 743

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gilbert Cranmer was an early Adventist.

"Cranmer stopped working with the Whites over an incident that occurred in late 1857. While preaching in a Sabbath service at Otsego, Michigan, he was challenged to accept Ellen White’s vision concerning the Investigative (Pre-Advent) Judgment and the shut-door doctrine. Upon refusing to do so, the Whites sent word to the congregation that he was not to preach for them. Upon hearing that he would not be allowed to preach, Cranmer decided to begin preaching independently of the Whites’ congregations. When they made these doctrines a test of fellowship and tried to get Cranmer to accept them in 1857, he withdrew from fellowshipping with their congregations and began to preach apart from them in January-February 1858."

From, an article The Pioneer Founders of the Church by Elder Robert Coulter member of Church of God (Seventh Day)

You don't know what that Baptismal vow was.  It was something they came up with, there.  These are to be tailor made for the people, just like what we see in the Bible, and in this report:

"Before accepting into church fellowship those who made a profession of Christianity, he had been careful to give them special instruction as to the privileges and duties of the Christian believer, and he had earnestly endeavored to help them to be faithful to their baptismal vows."  {AA 298.1}  

This was not some fixed oath.  Who would have the audacity to give Paul a fixed oath?  But, this tradition goes back to John's baptism:

Luke  3:10 And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then? 

3:11 He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.
3:12 Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto him, Master, what shall we do?
3:13 And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you.
3:14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse [any] falsely; and be content with your wages.

They pledged to do something, showing they were sincere:

Matt. 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

Peace,

Hi Brother Rush, Good post,  most of us have identified the 7th Day adventist Church as the remnant Church, and EGW having the Spirit of Christ and Him giving her the Spirit of Prophecy... but for baptism, should it be forced on a person that hasn't identified this fact (someone that is giving their heart to Jesus, who is willing to change their character to be more like Jesus)?  maybe in time they will see that the 7th day Adventist Church with the writings of EGW do have the gift of prophecy.  

Rush, do you believe baptism and becoming a member of the 7th Day Adventist Church should be separate?

Or do you believe being baptized and being a member of the Church should be separate from accepting EGW writings as the gift of prophecy?

I know if we stand by this,

"They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested."

It will show that what the 7th Day Adventist Church teaches & EGW writings are in fact true, that it was inspired by Jesus. 

Brother John brings up some points, JohnB said:  "The problem is that, having from our inception fused baptism and fellowship together we are not going to separate them now."

JohnB: "One is baptised into Christ and accepted into fellowship with the Church. In the SDA Church and many others these two functions are performed simultaneously as one unit with the test of fellowship applied at the time of baptism.

Acts 2:41 says it the same way: baptism then added to them."

Acts 2:42 says 'And they continued stedfastly in the the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers'

Ofcourse the Holy Spirit was there in a major way converting people and after being baptized, they "continued stedfastly in the the apostles' doctrine"  For me, by the help of the Holy Spirit the converts accepted the doctrine they heard then was baptized. They heard first, and understood what they was hearing was Truth, and then was baptized. We know the "apostles' doctrine" is not of their own mind, it's Jesus' doctrine... and the converts continued in doctrine that they was baptized in. By GOD'S Holy Spirit, they first understood Truth and then was baptized, that's the example in the Bible.

Lets bring that same mindset to the present, although we're waiting on a outpouring of the Holy Spirit like back then, the Holy Spirit that was there then, is still here now.. He is the only One to bring us into all Truth, with the fruits of the Spirit and correct doctrine.

John 4:24 says, "GOD is a Spirit: and they that worship HIM must worship HIM in Spirit and in truth". 

The 7th Day Adventist Church, though some of it's people lack in the some fruits, it does have correct doctrine that it teaches.. I once heard it said, before you join any group, you must know what it stands for, what it teaches. The 7th Day Adventist Church has doctrines it teaches, and if a person would like to get baptized and become a member of the Church, then accepting the doctrines it teaches is a part of being baptized, like with most other churches, like with the early Church.

Rush, are you referring to fellowship as being members of the 7th day adventist Church, or fellowship as non-members?

Instead of focusing on EGW as a requirement, first it should be focused on if the Biblical doctrines that the 7th Day Adventist Church teach are a requirement for fellowship (membership) and baptism (Anyone can fellowship with the Church), and I think we all agree believing correct Bibical doctrines as a requirement to be a member of the Church is fine, right?..  coming to that truth a person will learn that EGW was given the gift of prophecy, and Jesus though her writings speaks to the Church.

18. The Gift of Prophecy- One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying
mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G.
White. As the Lord’s messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative
source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction,
and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard
by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts
2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)

As long as the requriement is based on the last part of #18, then it will show what the 7th Day Adventist Church and the writings of EGW teach is from the Spirit of prophecy, which is the Spirit of Christ.

So I would lean towards brother JohnB's view, but brother Rush's view is an interesting one, correct me if I'm wrong Rush, he is saying let baptism be separate from having to accept EGW writings as a requirement.

I looked at the other requirements of being a memeber of the Church, and #21 Christian behavior stood out, there are many Adventist who has accepted this as a requirement as part of their baptism, but some fail at this (as seen by some on this site), and some are trying to work on some things to have a Christlike character (as seen on this site).

So maybe after baptism, that same process of trying to adher to the requirements as in #21 can be given to #18, giving people time to identify that the gift of prophecy is in fact "...an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White."

Blessings!!  

"The 7th Day Adventist Church, though some of it's people lack in the some fruits, it does have correct doctrine that it teaches"

I agree. And our fundamental teachings come accross through our Bible studies and seminars. Not in a set of statements that are like a creed. Faith comes by hearing, which is preaching. It is through preaching the testimony of Jesus is transfered, and the Holy Spirit it recieved. It is God's way.

Those statements keep changing, and Jesus said it's foolish to build on shifting sand. Eventually the storm will come and destroy your structure, because it's not on the rock. We know that Ellen White never produced a set of statements. But I would be still lay this to rest if anyone can produce a statement from EGW that says her gift of prophecy makes this church the remnant.

Our faith is like a tree that keeps growing forever, and everything is connected. The 28 fundamentals is like a dead stack of lumber. Why would we limit ourselves and deny the teachings of our founding fathers? They had the power. We're lukewarm. I say we listen to them.  They never adopted anything like a creed for a universal test of fellowship, but they always preached against this practice.

Did Ellen White ever say we are God's remnant, because of her gift, or do we all have to have the spirit of prophecy?

Are we the remnant?

2 Cor.  13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith

Matt. 3:9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to [our] father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

I thought of something else:

1 Cor.  13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service