Adventist Online

The statement as found in article 18 of the book “Seventh-day Adventists Believe” in in fact a blasphemy.

It states that “Her (Ellen White’s) writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction and correction”. According to the New Testament, especially the Gospel of John chapter 14 and 16, and an in context study of Revelation, Jesus Christ is God. He alone is the truth , the way and the light. Not any writings of any person. What Jesus said and did while on earth are for our guidance, instruction and correction. The Holy Spirit is promised to dwell within all the individual believers to be our comfort. Not just one person. The Holy Spirit is also God. So to say that a person’s writings are thus, actually places that person as an equal with God. Such a statement is blasphemy. By making such a belief a part of the fundamental beliefs of the denomination, it turn the organisation into a cult. By teaching something contrary to what Jesus said, the denomination can no longer claim to be Christian.

What do you think?

Views: 1916

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

True, I have know some very dear Bible workers, who have a heart and love for the truth.  They take a New Beginnings series and introduce biblical truths that are often forgotten or misunderstood.  Ellen White comes long after acceptance of biblical truths such as the Sabbath, the state of the dead, etc.

Yes, the  Bible worker and a Colporteur are not the same though some things cross over. Most everyone has a Bible but many so clouded by preconceived ideas that they cannot get it and some are just not studying that much. Many will not do Bible studies because of prejudice. However, many of them will buy or take a Great Controversy and read it.

I would agree that we ought not take Testimonies to the Church to the door or some of the others. 

Jill, why do you think so many new converts are joyful over the SOP ? 

I am one of the 11th hour workers that came into the church not having read one of her books and having  only a nominal understanding of her role. When reading her books I could her the voice of Jesus speaking through the printed pages of her books. I see complete harmony between the Scriptures and the writings of EGW. 

Aquila, I don't see any issues regarding distributing the Great Controversy, or Steps to Christ.  They were made for a general audience.  But, handing out Testimonies to the Church would seem counterproductive to the conversion of souls to say the least.

Jill;

Numbers 22 ?

Do you realize that Romans 14 and the next book  I Cor. Chapter 8:1-4 are talking about the same thing ? The issue there has nothing to do with health.

We should not confuse two entirely different issues. Once one understands the health issues regarding particularly unclean meat then any problem vanishes. God did not create any animals to be eaten but some were by their nature and make up much more acceptable than others. When sin developed and it became necessary at times to eat flesh it was important to designate for food that which was the least objectionable and most safe. Have you any idea how filthy swine flesh is  and how harmful to our system? One of the  first things most doctors will do with a heart patient is take them off of pork.

The issue in Romans/I Cor. was over idolatry and the perception that to eat animals offered to idols was to partake in idolatry and to be unclean. 

It bothers me, I think we should fight the impression that we are a cult.

We should seek to do God's will and obey Him and leave the cult accusations in His hand. The idea of fighting to not be called a cult is tempting to compromise for the sake of unity.

Granted, to do God's will is to explain truth and this will help eliminate the "cult "accusation from the faithful but with the rebellious it will be a losing proposition.

Several times in Sabbath school class I have seen someone, out of the blue, bring up EGW and make a scene against the SOP when visitors were present. No doubt they thought they were fighting a problem but they were making a problem. Visitors, lift their eyebrows and think "what is this?" The real problem was the SDA was full of angry rebellion and they cared not about the church and certainly not about the visitors. Other times the same happened when someone read a SOP quote. The visitors were not troubled and probably did not even know who was being quoted. They learned in a hurry though that our church has issues. That need not have happened and it was not the SOP but the SDA objecting to it that was the problem.  This is all too common today. Then the SDA walks away after they have done their damage and report that the visitors were upset over the quoting of EGW when it was they. The attitude is satanic and is basically one of " I don't care if I go down but I'm going to take as many down with me as possible otherwise they would save their fighting to infighting.

I rarely, if ever, mention her when teaching Sabbath School or preaching to avoid controversies.  However, I do teach Jesus and the means to salvation whenever possible to offer hope and inspiration for the listeners.  I usually prepare these things the night before to allow the Spirit to move as He sees fit. When you are a lightening rod for the Holy Spirit after praying for the cleansing of your own heart, and asking to teach/preach to glorify Him, there is a power of possession that is beyond human language.  Self is completely lost, and the overshadowing the Spirit is just an awesome experience.  Many times the Spirit teaches the teacher.  I am grateful for that.

However, I do my best to bring the message of hope and salvation and leave any controversy out of the mix, as you have pointed out, creating a discord among the body for the sake of doing so is sinful.  However, if the Spirit tells me to deliver a message, I do not hesitate to obey.  Usually, I am inspired to convict the body of the lack of cohesiveness and love one for another.  

Frankly, the message I receive over and over again is that if we truly loved another and treated the greatest and the least with the deference that Jesus does, the work would be done with power and and completed with great speed.

When I find myself lacking in this area, it cuts my heart to the quick.

@Jill .   True. I think that the way we behave contributes a lot to that impression.  Some may take peculiarity to the extreme. 

To Build Upon the Foundation, August 14

And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone. Ephesians 2:20. YRP 235.1

Let not any man enter upon the work of tearing down the foundations of the truth that have made us what we are. God has led His people forward step by step though there were pitfalls of error on every side. Under the wonderful guidance of a plain, “Thus saith the Lord,” a truth has been established that has stood the test of trial. When men arise and attempt to draw away disciples after them, meet them with the truths that have been tried as by fire. YRP 235.2

“And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write: These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee” (Revelation 3:1-3). YRP 235.3

Those who seek to remove the old landmarks are not holding fast; they are not remembering how they have received and heard. Those who try to bring in theories that would remove the pillars of our faith concerning the sanctuary or concerning the personality of God or of Christ are working as blind men. They are seeking to bring in uncertainties and to set the people of God adrift without an anchor. YRP 235.4

Those who claim to be identified with the message that God has given us should have keen, clear spiritual perceptions, that they may distinguish truth from error. The word spoken by the messenger of God is “Wake up the watchmen.” If men will discern the spirit of the messages given and strive to find out from what source they come, the Lord God of Israel will guard them from being led astray.—Manuscript Release 760:9, 10. YRP

Wonderful quotes, Ellen.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by