Adventist Online

The statement as found in article 18 of the book “Seventh-day Adventists Believe” in in fact a blasphemy.

It states that “Her (Ellen White’s) writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction and correction”. According to the New Testament, especially the Gospel of John chapter 14 and 16, and an in context study of Revelation, Jesus Christ is God. He alone is the truth , the way and the light. Not any writings of any person. What Jesus said and did while on earth are for our guidance, instruction and correction. The Holy Spirit is promised to dwell within all the individual believers to be our comfort. Not just one person. The Holy Spirit is also God. So to say that a person’s writings are thus, actually places that person as an equal with God. Such a statement is blasphemy. By making such a belief a part of the fundamental beliefs of the denomination, it turn the organisation into a cult. By teaching something contrary to what Jesus said, the denomination can no longer claim to be Christian.

What do you think?

Views: 1921

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, really !   That's because almost everything you post relative to this is always something like " she is not the Bible" or you are not to lift her writings above the Bible. If someone posts a SOP quote you always shoot it down with one of these comments as those we ought not read, quote, or take seriously her writings.  Do you want a slew of examples ? 

I accept her writings always and I do not pit them against Scripture like you do by implying that when someone quotes her work that is is little more than her opinion.

She had over 2000 dreams and visions and then wrote them down. do you believe that these come from Jesus and that her work is Inspired like other prophets or are they second rate opinion ?

I believe that the same Jesus that gave inspired John the Revelator visions and Inspired writings did the same with EGW. Major question: "Do you believe that ?

You are trifling to imply two opposing sides at the same time, one being that her work has no authority while saying that you accept her as a prophet. That does not add up.

Mrs. White said that the serpent in the garden had wings. You will not read that in the Bible even though it is clearly implied that the serpent did not crawl on the ground before being used by Satan. The idea that everything EGW wrote must be or is stated verbatim in the Bible and therefore her work is of little value is simply not true. You can study the Bible endlessly and not determine that the serpent had wings. While this is not salvational, my point is that there is new light given after the Bible that does not contradiction old truth but amplifies what may not and in some instances cannot be seen. If all Mrs. White's writings were for was/is to point people to the Bible then her message could be this long " Return to the Bible and read it." Why 2000 dreams and visions and more published books than any other person is the whole message is simply "read the Bible." She has told us to read her writings because they are God's writings given through the human agent.

There are some that at heart despise her writings they just will not come out and say so. Instead anytime her writings are quoted and cut across something the person does not wish to give up, they say things like "that is not the Bible" Translation by those that say this " I do not accept the writings as being Inspired and if you quote them you are claiming that they are above the Bible." This my friend, is pitting the Testimony of Jesus today against the Testimony of Jesus give centuries ago. Some did the same thing with the prophets that God raised up in Bible times. They claimed to accept the previous prophets and decried how their fathers stoned them and then they stone the contemporary prophets of their day repeating the same offense. Such is the case today. There is nothing new under the sun.

Yes, I will but I will not search through the several threads on SOP right now but will post them as I run across them again. Until then, not long ago you were rebuked by Aquila for taking another's comment and saying " We are not to raise the SOP above the Bible." More than once when someone has posted a SOP quote you have said  that they were lifting the SOP above the Bible as though the two were against each other.

Then what you think these quotes are saying its that for an sDA to quote SOP when talking with another SDA is putting it ahead of the Bible when in fact the Bible tells us to believe the prophets and prosper ? I I Chron 20:20.

What you have just posted proves my point. To quote the Testimony of Jesus in your opinion is to put it above Scripture and therefore compete with it. This is making the Testimony of Jesus of none effect.

Incidently, how much of the SOP have you read through when one time? Have you read cover to cover the conflict of the Ages ? Shall we not quote from it if it cuts across your ideas?

Why would you imply that those to take seriously the SOP and quote it are super- seceding and  therefore going against the Bible? 

Why would you think that those who cherish this gift are making it a new rule of faith simply because they refer to it as carrying authority. If it harmonizes with the Bible and has the same author we need not be ashamed of it. (All of it) If you quote it at all you quote bits and pieces and misapply them.

What is it about the SOP that so troubles you ? Is it all the comments about eating flesh. What is it?   If you truly believe the Bible and the SOP are from the same author you would not take such issue with the SOP whenever it is quoted and speaks against your view. This is ALWAYS your answer when pointed SOP is quoted and you do not agree with it. You say, " The Bible only." 

You just quoted the SOP. Are you trying to supersede the Bible ?  The Bible says to" believe the prophets." See how that works  coming back again?

@Bro. Gabriel,

What does that mean in your opinion?

God bless.

You see the problem you are having Gabriel is  with some of what the Bible says and some of what the SOP says. No one is putting the SOP above the Bible. Since they both agree that really cannot be done. That can only be done if one is against the other. This is how you portray them.

If two brothers agree entirely on a subject  and they both get their information  from  exactly the same source it is impossible to place one brother's word s  above the another unless there is a disagreement in information. 

Where have you read that the SOP is superior to the Bible ? Where has someone said that the SOP is correct and the Bible is incorrect ? 

Why do you have one competing with the other when we do  not ?

You said, "Ellen White writings are not part of the biblical cannon" What does that tell you about the authority and inspiration of Ellen White?

It tells me that EGW was given her gift after the Bible was cannonized. It tells me that she further amplifys the Bible.  I do not consider EGW a lesser prophet than Hosea just because she was born later. She wrote more than any prophet and at a  more crucial time than any prophet. Remember that when Isaiah spoke ,his writings were not cannonized. 

You see, it it comes from Jesus then it is all the same message. I believe the gift manifested through EGW came from Jesus. The reason Mrs. White put qualifiers on her work was simply because of the misunderstanding of the people toward prophets. 

amen

Max it is article 17 and I do suggest you read it again the quote you have made is a bit out of context if you read the whole article.

George if you think the SDA church has turned into a cult leave it. The solution is simple. I'm sorry that it has come to this for you.

This is just more evidence favoring the SOP and the SDA church. The fact that it is under fire only supports it more. We should expect that Satan will attack both the SOP and the SDA church.

What is it in the SOP George that you are having so much trouble with ? Diet, the sanctuary message ?

i think it's diet and you know why, not what she said but what other say she said. some added the 11th commandment 

11. thou shall not eat meat 

I'm sorry but if the lust for flesh is so strong as  to turn someone from the SOP then it is truly lust. No one ate more meat pork, beef, fish, chicken, rabbit, duck goose, pheasant, partridge, deer, and turkey than me. No one had to even tell me I ought not eat it. Between the Bible, the SOP, and resources from within and without the church and it was clear. I had thousands of $$ worth of hunting and fishing equipment.

My point is this. If the desire for flesh is so strong so as to turn someone against the church then that is an idol.

The reason so many have such a tough time with discernment on the church is because of the effects of their diets. 

People cannot turn others from the truth. We all have a brain and we have the SOP and Bible for ourselves to be studied. It will not do to say "I do not accept the SOP" simply because of what someone said. That is an excuse that does not hold water.

Brother Jason, do you struggle with a diet of flesh as well ? You post as though this is the situation and use the same kind of posting those who support WO use.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service