Adventist Online

The statement as found in article 18 of the book “Seventh-day Adventists Believe” in in fact a blasphemy.

It states that “Her (Ellen White’s) writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction and correction”. According to the New Testament, especially the Gospel of John chapter 14 and 16, and an in context study of Revelation, Jesus Christ is God. He alone is the truth , the way and the light. Not any writings of any person. What Jesus said and did while on earth are for our guidance, instruction and correction. The Holy Spirit is promised to dwell within all the individual believers to be our comfort. Not just one person. The Holy Spirit is also God. So to say that a person’s writings are thus, actually places that person as an equal with God. Such a statement is blasphemy. By making such a belief a part of the fundamental beliefs of the denomination, it turn the organisation into a cult. By teaching something contrary to what Jesus said, the denomination can no longer claim to be Christian.

What do you think?

Views: 1934

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

nope i don's struggle with diet, not sure when last i ate meat (fish) but if i am somewhere (away from home) and fish is served I might partake ( some people are very insistent)  Or if i am  lost in the forest i will hunt for wild meat (clean meat)  lol 

basically what i am saying it that i don't see eating meat as a sin but i never have any craving to eat it 

Quite true @Gabriel I have seen frightening examples of that, but then they are not using Her writings as they should. 

sometimes the words of Jesus to Peter apply

Mathew 16:23

23 But He turned and said to Peter, Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.

Rob do you keep the whole law because there are 613 ?

Dear Brother George: I was curious what actually the 18th article of the book, "Seventh-Day Adventists Believe" really says in context.  So like any other good researcher, I Googled it.  I have copied and pasted the entire passage below.

One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen. G. White . As the Lord's messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)

Now that we can both agree on the context of your selected quote, I would ask you if you have found any of her writings contrary to the scripture?  Very plainly it is stated that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested.  Throughout history dear brother George, we find many servants of God  post apostolic who have written extensively on  the grand themes of Salvation.  None put their writings above scripture, but rather are a lesser light pointing to the great light found in the infinite word of God.  (This is in fact how she referred to her own written work.)

"  Little heed is given to the Bible, and the Lord has given a lesser light to lead men and women to the greater light. Oh, how much good would be accomplished if the books containing this light were read with a determination to carry out the principles they contain!"

Ellen G. White, in Review and Herald, Jan. 20, 1903, quoted in Colporteur Ministry, page 125

We should be very careful how we characterize the work of those who claim to have a message from God. For the elders and rulers of the people accused the Saviour of doing His miracles by the power of Beezlebud. This is a fact that Jesus very plainly explained to His disciples.

It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub,[a] how much more will they call those of his household! Matthew 10:25  

This I know from the power of God's word, that if by the love and grace of God we live daily with words of scripture first, and the Testimonies second, that we will not be lacking in any good spiritual fruit, but that those around us will notice, 

And they realized that they had been with Jesus.Acts 4:12-14
I gently urge you dear brother to keep an open mind. Do not close the door of your heart too hastily without prayerful study of both the Word of God, and the writings of the Lord's messenger.  Study for yourself whether or not these things be true. Ask the Father of Light to guide your study, and set aside the spiritual pride that seeks to claim that you are able by your own effort to fully comprehend the infinite word of God. As you do this you will know for yourself whether there is indeed truth in the writings of Ellen White, even if you are tempted to reject that conclusion.
Humbly your brother in the blood and grace of our Lord Jesus, who sacrificed His own life and blood for our redemption. Steven

Sing them over again to me, wonderful words of life,
Let me more of their beauty see, wonderful words of life;
Words of life and beauty teach me faith and duty.

Refrain

Beautiful words, wonderful words, wonderful words of life,
Beautiful words, wonderful words, wonderful words of life.

Christ, the blessèd One, gives to all wonderful words of life;
Sinner, list to the loving call, wonderful words of life;
All so freely given, wooing us to heaven.

Refrain

Sweetly echo the Gospel call, wonderful words of life;
Offer pardon and peace to all, wonderful words of life;
Jesus, only Savior, sanctify us forever.

Refrain

.. i hope we are singing about scriptures of the HOLY BIBLE :)

I suspect you have encountered the Ellen White devotees that frustrate all of us by using it as a weapon.  I too, grew up around such people.  They tend to be bitter, unpleasant, find things to use out of context, take to a whole other level and beat people about the head and shoulders with it.  You will find that element everywhere, even here.  For years, I was in the same position you are.  Then I realized and came to the conclusion that they were just rooting around to take things out of context in any misguided compilation they could find to try and make other people feel as miserable as they did.

I have struck a balance.  I stick to the writings that point to the Bible to bring out aspects I had not considered.  Mrs. White is falsely represented by the mean spirited folks that abuse her in much the same way people abuse scripture.  They are typically bitter people wanting misery to love company.

God isn't a vengeful Zeus figure, and Mrs. White isn't some bitter, unapproachable dower dowager queen.  In fact, I suspect she would be appalled in the manner in which she has been used.  She was a cheerful person, it is ironic, her devotees are not.

I understand where you are coming from, I do.  These people put such a bitter taste in my mouth, that for years I would not look at single thing that had the word Ellen White written on it.

The "fraud" of White comes from badly constructed compilations and wicked men and women trying to verbally abuse others out of a sick sense of satisfication, to dominate another human being and make them feel as badly as they do,.

The ironic thing I have found, is some of these folks break their own spirits through this exercise, and end up leaving the church and becoming "Sabitismos" a group of former Adventist who were forcing themselves to be vegan, flagulating themselves and others.  Now, they are pork eating, wine drinking, Sunday keeping, Baptists ironically.

How do I know?  I am related to some who did just that.

When White ventures into areas that are not covered by the Bible (for instance in a letter) we should absolutely not create doctrine around the letter.  Ellen White herself said to base doctrine only on the Bible, so we would be defying her own teaching if we did so.

The Bible, and the Bible alone, is to be our creed,  the sole bond of union; all who bow to this Holy Word will be in harmony. Our own views and ideas must not control our efforts. Man is fallible, but God's Word is infallible.—Selected Messages, bk. 1, p. 416.

We would only adopt doctrines based on the Bible, so if her warnings are in areas not covered by the Bible then by definition we will not be adopting doctrine that contradict her warnings.

However, by saying that her warnings not being doctrine doesn't make them fallible; are you using the double negative to state that her warnings are infallible?

I don't want to dump on White like some people on this site do, but she certainly did make mistakes; and she did not claim infallibility for herself so once again we would be defying her own teachings.

Did Jesus make a mistake when He showed EGW something in vision ? Did He make a mistake when He guided her through the writing of the Great Controversy ?

Certainly Jesus did not make a mistake.  I didn't want to list any mistakes but I'm going to have to.  White's "food for worms" and "amalgamation of man and beast" statements are wrong.  Either she did not get those from Jesus, she interpreted them incorrectly, or they were changed later incorrectly, but none the less the statements are wrong.  Even if she did not make mistakes we can not call her writings infallible.  There is no Biblical basis to call them infallible, she does not call herself infallible; and we would be doing the same thing the Catholics do if we treat her statements as Ex Cathedra.

What do you understand by 'amalgamation of man and beast'Jill? 

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service