Adventist Online

Anyone who could answer these 2 questions for me about fasting?

(1)  How long and what type of fast is right for you, and

(2)  How to prepare yourself spiritually and physically

Thank you.

Views: 154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

fast for 40 days and read the bible and pray to prepare yourself  physically and spiritually l b o o l t

40 days. wow that is long. What about for first timers?
well they should try fruits and water for a day
40 days is too long for first timers.
I would agree....especially if they have not been to their primary care physician in awhile.
40 days of fasting seem impossible Jason...that is too long.
How many days you fast? And what are the reasons why you fast?
One day fasting sounds sensible to me. Thanks Alex.

Matthew 6:16 says, Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; that thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly. 

This passage is the only requirement that Jesus gave us in regards to fasting. It is up to you to decide what you are capable to doing and if it is healthy for you to do so. In my opinion, 40 days is a very long time for anyone to fast, at least in this day when we have to be out of the house for 8 to 10 hours working. I guess it would be doable to just drink simple fruit shakes and eat fruit. Daniel when he fasted for 3 weeks did not go on a complete fast, but abstained from meat, wine  and pleasant bread. In other words he ate a very plain diet with water. 

So my advice to you is to pray about it before you start and do not hurt yourself. 

God bless, Ezra

Thanks for the advice Ezra! I will definitely pray about it! :) God bless you too!
What if I said that fasting was much more than that? What if I said that the Bible speaks of a different kind of fast? One that involves not doing our own works but doing those which God has commanded us?
Im pretty sure that people fast for spiritual and personal reasons... Vincent and Alex have pointed out their reason for fasting which were of personal reasons... Do you mind sharing your opinion about fasting for spiritual reasons?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service