Adventist Online

Post scripture  and quotes from the SOP which you would like to share with others.

Views: 2724

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Soon God's people will be tested by fiery trials, and the great proportion of those who now appear to be genuine and true will prove to be base metal. . . .
When the religion of Christ is most held in contempt, when His law is most despised, then should our zeal be the warmest and our courage and firmness the most unflinching. To stand in defence of truth and righteousness when the majority forsake us, to fight the battles of the Lord when champions are few--this will be our test. At this time we must gather warmth from the coldness of others, courage from their cowardice, and loyalty from their treason.--5T 136 (1882).

The Calf-Path

Sam Foss

I.

One day through the primeval wood

A calf walked home as good calves should;

But made a trail all bent askew,

A crooked trail as all calves do.

Since then three hundred years have fled,

And I infer the calf is dead.

II.

But still he left behind his trail,

And thereby hangs my moral tale.

The trail was taken up next day,

By a lone dog that passed that way;

And then a wise bell-wether sheep

Pursued the trail o’er vale and steep,

And drew the flock behind him, too,

As good bell-wethers always do.

And from that day, o’er hill and glade.

Through those old woods a path was made.

III.

And many men wound in and out,

And dodged, and turned, and bent about,

And uttered words of righteous wrath,

Because ‘twas such a crooked path;

But still they followed—do not laugh—

The first migrations of that calf,

And through this winding wood-way stalked

Because he wobbled when he walked.

IV.

This forest path became a lane,

that bent and turned and turned again;

This crooked lane became a road,

Where many a poor horse with his load

Toiled on beneath the burning sun,

And traveled some three miles in one.

And thus a century and a half

They trod the footsteps of that calf.

V.

The years passed on in swiftness fleet,

The road became a village street;

And this, before men were aware,

A city’s crowded thoroughfare.

And soon the central street was this

Of a renowned metropolis;

And men two centuries and a half,

Trod in the footsteps of that calf.

VI.

Each day a hundred thousand rout

Followed the zigzag calf about

And o’er his crooked journey went

The traffic of a continent.

A Hundred thousand men were led,

By one calf near three centuries dead.

They followed still his crooked way,

And lost one hundred years a day;

For thus such reverence is lent,

To well established precedent.

VII.

A moral lesson this might teach

Were I ordained and called to preach;

For men are prone to go it blind

Along the calf-paths of the mind,

And work away from sun to sun,

To do what other men have done.

They follow in the beaten track,

And out and in, and forth and back,

And still their devious course pursue,

To keep the path that others do.

They keep the path a sacred groove,

Along which all their lives they move.

But how the wise old wood gods laugh,

Who saw the first primeval calf.

Ah, many things this tale might teach—

But I am not ordained to preach.

All the powers of the mind should be called into use, and developed, in order for men and women to have well-balanced minds. The world is full of one-sided men and women, because one set of the faculties is cultivated, while others are dwarfed from inaction. The education of most youth is a failure. They overstudy, while they neglect that which pertains to practical business life. Men and women become parents without considering their responsibilities, and their offspring sink lower in the scale of human deficiency than they themselves. Thus we are fast degenerating. The constant application to study, as the schools are now conducted, is unfitting youth for practical life. The human mind will have action. If it is not active in the right direction, it will be active in the wrong. And in order to preserve the balance of the mind, labor and study should be united in schools. {CE 17.2}

Attention to health is one of our most important duties. We owe this to ourselves, to society, and to God. Young men and young women are proverbially careless in regard to their health. Hundreds die in early life, not because of a dispensation of providence, but because of a dispensation of carelessness. Many girls go half clad in cold weather. Others choose to sit reading or writing when they should be taking physical exercise. God gave them organs for use. The living machinery is not to be allowed to rust from inaction. To keep all the powers of the body equally taxed will require self-restraint. The lives of many who have suffered premature death might have been prolonged to old age had they acted intelligently. {DG 172.5}

Either God or Satan Controls—Satan takes control of every mind that is not decidedly under the control of the Spirit of God.—Letter 57, 1895 (Testimonies to Ministers and Gospel Workers, 79).

It’s not that simple. Satan control, as god of this world Satan has sway over this world order; this system in which we exist. It is by the Spirit of God that one is able to understand this and not be controlled by the system we were born into.

You, however, are not under the control of the human nature but under the control of the Spirit, since God's Spirit lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of the Messiah, he does not belong to him.

If Satan was not in control, Satan would not have had authority to offer Jesus the kingdoms of this world.

5And having led Him up, he showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. 6And the devil said to Him, “I will give to You all this authority, and its glory; for it has been delivered to me, and I give it to whom I wish. 7Therefore if You will worship before me, all will be Yours.”

Satan controls humanity through his deceptions, his ability to masquerade something that is not in all areas of our human experiences.

3But if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4In their case, the god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelievers so they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

The first thing that will done in Christ’s second coming is the removing of this sway Satan holds on humanity.

The angel then threw him into the abyss and locked and sealed it so that he could not deceive the nations until the one thousand years were finished. (After these things he must be released for a brief period of time.)

God’s sway or control will come at that time, this is why the second coming is so pivotal for humanity.

Revelation 11:15 And the seventh Angel sounded, and there were great voices in Heaven that said, “The Kingdom of the world has become our God's and his Messiah's, and he shall reign to the eternity of eternities.”

Satan cannot control our induvial minds, I agree; but Satan can manipulate circumstances  which dictates our decision making to act against the will of God.

Satan has only the control that you let him have. Satan had stolen the world from the Creator who is Jesus, so if he wanted to give it to Jesus it was not really his to give anyway. But what do you expect from an H W Armstrong follower anyway?

So, Elijah, how did Satan steal the world from the Creator? Did he fool the Creator, was the Creator sleep on the job, or did he bind the Creator?

Read Genesis 3 that was how Satan did it and if you need more information read Job 1 and 2. You may see me as a fool but I think you are a bigger one. 

Elijah,

I never suggested nor called you a fool, and I’m not sure why you would go down this path. So, getting back to the subject at hand, Genesis 3 does not support your view that Satan had stolen the world from the Creator. Let me explain, and please correct me if I’m wrong.

Satan usurped authority of this world from Adam, nothing was giving to him and he proved himself a liar as Jesus said he was. 1John 5:19 reads

19 We know [for a fact] that we are of God, and the whole world [around us] lies in the power of the evil one [opposing God and His precepts]. 20 And we [have seen and] know [by personal experience] that the Son of God has [actually] come [to this world], and has given us understanding and insight so that we may [progressively and personally] know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true—in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.

How is it that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one? The evil one is the god of this world, the people of the world is under his sway. WHO IS GOING TO SAVE THE WORLD FROM THE POWER OF THE EVIL ONE?

So, my point was that the quote is not that simple. “Either God or Satan Controls—Satan takes control of every mind that is not decidedly under the control of the Spirit of God.”

…But if indeed our gospel is concealed, it is concealed to those who are perishing, 4in whom the god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelieving, so as for not to beam forth the illumination of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

WHO IS GOING TO FREE THE MINDS OF THE UNBELIEVING?

WILL THE UNBELIEVING WHOES MINDS HAVE BEEN BLINED BY SATAN JUST PERISH?

EGW has come to the conclusion that all who is not part of the first resurrection is lost forever, I have not come to that conclusion.

Thanks for your reply Gene as I understand it you missed out on reading chapters 1 and 2 in the book of Job where we see the Devil only are allowed a certain amount of freedom to wreak his havoc on this world. I do understand you are a fan of the second chance gospel that I am not. We all have our chance to attain salvation. So to me, EG White is correct in her view on the first resurrection, if you are not in that you are lost. By extension of your argument, there will be 2  resurrections for some.  Just like those who had a part in Jesus crucifixion.

God’s Gift To The Human Race

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16.

The heart of God yearns over His earthly children with a love stronger than death. In giving up His Son, He has poured out to us all heaven in one gift.

Through that gift there comes to us day by day the unfailing flow of Jehovah’s goodness. Every flower, with its delicate tints and sweet fragrance, is given for our enjoyment through that one Gift. The sun and moon were made by Him; there is not a star that beautifies the heavens which He did not make. There is not an article of food upon our tables that He has not provided for our sustenance. The superscription of Christ is upon it all. Everything is supplied to man through the one unspeakable Gift, the only-begotten Son of God. He was nailed to the cross that all these bounties might flow to God’s workmanship.

In taking our nature, the Saviour has bound Himself to humanity by a tie that is never to be broken. Through the eternal ages He is linked with us. “God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son.” He gave Him not only to bear our sins, and to die as our sacrifice; He gave Him to the fallen race. To assure us of His immutable counsel of peace, God gave His only-begotten Son to become one of the human family, forever to retain His human nature. This is the pledge that God will fulfill His word. “Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder.” Isa. 9:6. God has adopted human nature in the person of His Son, and has carried the same into the highest heaven. . . . Heaven is enshrined in humanity, and humanity is enfolded in the bosom of Infinite Love.

Christ bowed down in unparalleled humility, that in His exaltation to the throne of God, He might also exalt those who believe in Him, to a seat with Him upon His throne.

From Devotional: Our Father Cares, p. 65.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2017   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service