Adventist Online

Post scripture  and quotes from the SOP which you would like to share with others.

Views: 4959

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting quotes gentlemen.

I like SOP quotes that help me understand what "self" is.

And I find the SOP translates the Hebrew words for me:, which I can look up in my Bible...

(11) There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked." Isa. 57:20, 21. Sin has destroyed our peace.While self is unsubdued, we can find no rest. The masterful passions of the heart no human power can control. We are as helpless here as were the disciples to quiet the raging storm. But He who spoke peace to the billows of Galilee has spoken the word of peace for every soul. Page 337 DA

Here is an interesting SOP statement, with a Hebrew word used in the quote next to the word "Self".

Ro 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted "subdued" themselves unto the righteousness of God.

I like this. Powerful!

You do ? Praise GOD

Now what about the Bible texts this statement of SOP leads to?

Jg 20:16 Among all this people there were seven hundred chosen men lefthanded; every one could sling stones at an hair breadth, and not miss.
(KJV)

Here is the Hebrew words for "slinger", a "sling" and stones that do not miss, using the Hebrew word for sin.

SO some people shoot with stones and do not miss.

Zec 9:15 The LORD of hosts shall defend them; and they shall devour, and subdue with sling stones;

Here is another picture with slinger, slings and stones, but now we have the word "subdue", or what SOP terms "surrender"

So what's happening here ? The slingers are taking aim, accurately using their humans powers to not miss their targets.

So surrender and sin are opposite meanings.

Stones is a symbol of the WORDS of GOD.

Either we accurately use those stones and not miss, or we haphazardly and with don't care much with GOD's words and so sin.

Notice a fuller context of the text:

Zec 9:13 When I have bent Judah for me, filled the bow with Ephraim, and raised up thy sons, O Zion, against thy sons, O Greece, and made thee as the sword of a mighty man. 14 And the LORD shall be seen over them, and his arrow shall go forth as the lightning:

Zec 9:15 The LORD of hosts shall defend them; and they shall devour, and subdue with sling stones;

It's making a parallel with GOD...

Does the SOP convey this idea of surrender?

The sight of that suffering face, those quivering lips, pierced his heart like an arrow. Peter remembered his promise of a few short hours before, when the Savior told him he would deny his Lord three times that very night. Peter now realized how accurately his Lord had read his the falseness of heart, which he had not known himself.

In other words Peter was here subdued by Jesus, Peter learned to subdue Self. In other words to more accurately use the words of Jesus in His heart to overcome missing.

"Every missionary will have hard battles to fight with self, and these combats will not become fewer. But if we are constantly growing in Christian experience, if we continue to look to Jesus in faith, strength will be given us for every emergency. All the powers and faculties of a regenerated nature must be brought into constant, daily exercise. Every day we shall have occasion to crucify self, to war against inclination and a perverse temperament that would draw the will in a wrong direction." SOP

I see EGW is taking about us accurately using Jesus WORDS and prayer promises, daily in our walk before GOD, so we do not miss His powers, flowing through us.

Now, Bro. A. C. Bourdeau, you are entrenched in the fortress of self-righteousness; and while there, neither God nor man can do anything for you. Through the help of God you could have broken down these walls that night; but you had so little experience in seeking God and wrestling with Him that you were like a child that knows not how to pronounce his A, B, C’s. I never realized that you were so far from God. You seemed to have no knowledge of how to seek the Lord, nor how to surrender yourself to Him. I knew that the next morning would tell the story. If you felt a burden of your own case, you would not dare to sleep without a thorough work of the Spirit of God upon hour heart. The next morning I waited to see what the influence of that meeting had been upon you. I knew if the arrows of God had pierced your self-righteous armor, we should know something about the matter before we parted. But not a reference was made by you to that solemn, important occasion

This man is not accurately using GOD's words in His life, thus misses before GOD.

You need the vitalizing influence of the Spirit of God; you need a living connection with heaven. You do not study your Bible. You do not pray. You are far, very far from being the man God would have you be. Please reckon up the hours you have spent in bed during the last year and see how much of your time has been squandered.

This is what EGW is saying. IMO

If we make God our trust, we have it in our power to control the mind in these things. Through continued exercise, it will become strong to battle with eternal foes, and to subdue self, until there is a complete transformation, and the passions, appetites, and will are brought into perfect subjection. Then there will be daily piety at home and abroad, and when we engage in labor for souls, a power will attend our efforts. The humble Christian will have seasons of devotion which are not spasmodic, fitful, or superstitious, but calm and tranquil, deep, constant, and earnest. The love of God, the practice of holiness, will be pleasant when there is perfect surrender to God.—Testimonies for the Church 2:507.

Again she is saying take the "living stones" take aim, and asks GOD to specifically flow from those prayer promises, to hit the propensities in your life immediately as they come to you, in your daily walk with GOD.

Every one who is born of God doth not commit sin." He feels that he is the purchase of the blood of Christ, and bound by the most solemn vows to glorify God in his body and in his spirit which are God's. The love of sin and the love of self are subdued in him. He daily asks, "What shall I render unto the Lord for all his benefits toward me?" "Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?" The true Christian never complain that the yoke of Christ is galling to the neck. He accounts the service of Jesus as the truest freedom. The law of God is his delight. Instead of seeking to bring down the divine commands, to accord with his deficiencies, he is constantly striving to rise to the level of their perfection.

Again,  surrender and sin are contrasting words.

Take aim, use those prayer promises and not sin,

or not pray those prayer promises, and sin before GOD.

Shalom

There are many whose hearts are aching under a load of care because they seek to reach the world’s standard. They have chosen its service, accepted its perplexities, adopted its customs. Thus their character is marred and their life made a weariness. The continual worry is wearing out the life forces. Our Lord desires them to lay aside this yoke of bondage. He invites them to accept His yoke; He says, “My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.” Worry is blind and cannot discern the future; but Jesus sees the end from the beginning. In every difficulty He has His way prepared to bring relief. “No good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly.” Matthew 11:30; Psalm 84:11.

Our heavenly Father has a thousand ways to provide for us of which we know nothing. Those who accept the one principle of making the service of God supreme, will find perplexities vanish and a plain path before their feet.—The Ministry of Healing, p. 481.

Was there a point to you Jason posting these SOP quotes?

some of them are hidden so deep in the many books so when i find a good or interesting one i post it here to remember it and to use it at a later date. Also it can benefit other in the same way it has benefited me 

So you posting of these quotes is for your own benefit, and maybe for others? I too, do the same thing, Jason, but you did not reply to my findings. The problem is if religion is something we only do alone, how do we know if we have the true of GOD? Unless others test our journey? Is there a purpose for others? Or do we walk in our lives alone?

I would like to know what surrender is, I believe it's a big thing blocking my own personal journey with GOD, my tongue speaks self in the presence of others. I feel I need to stop speaking and instead ask GOD what do you want me to say to them now? This is hard to do, since we are trapped in our bodies with a propensity to speak using human powers and human words.

I listened to a friend of mine preach that surrender is a step, like other steps to Jesus. Funny that while surrender is spoken about 6 times in EGW Steps to Christ, it is not written as a "step to Christ". Am I wrong in saying this? Is surrender this higher plane of existence others speak of, that none of us have obtained, as SOP says almost a Christian but wholly lost?  

In your SOP quote, does the world have a standard, they we want to seek? "The continual worry is wearing out the life forces", I can relate to this. Others watch the chem trails, the DEW attacks on us, the fires in Australia caused by DEW for example, the vaccines killing humans, etc, some call this conspiracy theories, well aren't we running with a Beast Power over the cliff? Doesn't prophecy say all Gov will speak as a dragon after the Beast? So rather than worry over this stuff, I prefer to spend my time getting to know Jesus more and more?

Shalom

You have asked a very important question. it would be best if you post it as a question in the forum; it makes for good discussion. 

Just read this quote today 

"The little incidents of everyday life often pass without our notice, but it is these things that shape the character. Every event of life is great for good or for evil.  {4T 561.1}

When the mind dwells upon self, it is turned away from Christ, the source of strength and life. Hence it is Satan’s constant effort to keep the attention diverted from the Saviour and thus prevent the union and communion of the soul with Christ. The pleasures of the world, life’s cares and perplexities and sorrows, the faults of others, or your own faults and imperfections—to any or all of these he will seek to divert the mind. Do not be misled by his devices. Many who are really conscientious, and who desire to live for God, he too often leads to dwell upon their own faults and weaknesses, and thus by separating them from Christ he hopes to gain the victory. We should not make self the center and indulge anxiety and fear as to whether we shall be saved. All this turns the soul away from the Source of our strength. Commit the keeping of your soul to God, and trust in Him. Talk and think of Jesus. Let self be lost in Him. Put away all doubt; dismiss your fears. Say with the apostle Paul, “I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me.” Galatians 2:20. Rest in God. He is able to keep that which you have committed to Him. If you will leave yourself in His hands, He will bring you off more than conqueror through Him that has loved you. {SC 71.2}

Nice advice, good job Jason

We should not make self the center and indulge anxiety and fear as to whether we shall be saved. All this turns the soul away from the Source of our strength. Commit the keeping of your soul to God, and trust in Him. Talk and think of Jesus. Let self be lost in Him. Put away all doubt; dismiss your fears.

So where is the balance? do I forget self and let my tongue ramble in my own human powers, or do I fight the good fight of faith, and ask GOD to control my tongue, and thus destroy self human powers? What does the science of salvation mean to you?

A term the SOP uses.

We need not be deceived. Wonderful scenes, with which Satan will be closely connected, will soon take place. God’s Word declares that Satan will work miracles. He will make people sick, and then will suddenly remove from them his satanic power. They will then be regarded as healed. These works of apparent healing will bring Seventh-day Adventists to the test. Many who have had great light will fail to walk in the light, because they have not become one with Christ.—Letter 57, 1904{2SM 53.3

Interesting, Does Jesus also do miracles in the end of time? Will SDA people fail to heed these as well?

Shalom

Satan Will Present Miracles—Many who refuse the message which the Lord sends them are seeking to find pegs on which to hang doubts, to find some excuse for rejecting the light of heaven. In the face of clear evidence they say, as did the Jews, “Show us a miracle, and we will believe. If these messengers have the truth, why do they not heal the sick?” ... {Ev 594.1}
Could their eyes be opened, they would see evil angels exulting around them and triumphing in their power to deceive them. The day is just before us when Satan will answer the demand of these doubters and present numerous miracles to confirm the faith of all those who are seeking this kind of evidence. How terrible will be the situation of those who close their eyes to the light of truth and ask for miracles to establish them in deception!—Letter 4, 1889. {Ev 594.2}
Miraculous Healing and Fanaticism—Our sanitariums are to reach a class that can be reached by no other means. “Why,” asks one and another, “is not prayer offered for the miraculous healing of the sick, instead of so many sanitariums being established?” Should this be done, great fanaticism would arise in our ranks. Those who have much self-confidence would start into action, as did certain ones in _____, who had a great deal to say about holy flesh. These were carried away by a spiritualistic delusion. At the General Conference in 1901 they were rebuked by a message given me for them by the Lord. Should we carry out the plans that some would be pleased to have us carry out, companies would be formed who would bring in spiritualistic manifestations that would confuse the faith of many.... {Ev 594.3}
Errors will come in, and strange doctrines will be advocated. Some will depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils. As far back as the establishment of the first sanitarium these things began to appear. They were similar to the errors that manifested themselves soon after the disappointment of 1844. A strong phase of fanaticism appeared, calling itself the witness of the Holy Ghost. I was given a message to rebuke this evil work.—Letter 79, 1905. {Ev 595.1}

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service