Adventist Online

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK OF THE ANCIENT PRACTICE, CUSTOM OF THE PARENTS FINDING A SUITABLE MATE FOR THERE CHILDREN?  IT WAS PRACTICED IN BIBLICAL TIMES BY GODS PEOPLE AND EVEN NOW IN SOME PARTS OF THIS FLAT EARTH.

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The parents will be wiser to select a suitable mate than the young person than doing so by himself. 

It is best to find a spouse where you can see their interactions with parents friends and family.  

I don't mind my parents find me a wife. My mom is great with young people and have introduced to me a couple. I'm still searching but at the same time, getting back on my feet.

My parents didn't pick my spouse.  But observing their marriage and advice had a lot to do with my selection process.

Outside of that I've heard horror stories of parents selling their young near infantile daughters off to older men who only wanted to marry them for one reason.  Growing up I knew guys whose fathers taught them to treat women like garden tools and some girls whose mom's taught them to be bitter and resentful towards men.  

I personally think the whole matchmaking/dating game is about as effective as the intent and motivation driving all the parties involved.

COOL.  BUT THERE IS LOTS OF HISTORY WITH THOUSANDS OF YEARS OF THIS PRACTICE AND IT IS INTERESTING HOW IT WORKED OR SEEMED TO WORK.  STILL MUST BE SCARY FOR A SERVANT TO SHOW UP IN YOUR VILLAGE AND SAY, "MY MASTER SENT ME TO FIND A WIFE FOR HIS SON"  "NOW HURRY AND GIVE MY MEN AND CAMELS SOME WATER AND SAY GOOD BYE TO YOUR FAMILY AND LETS GO.  LONG RIDE AHEAD".  YIKES!!

Well, that example was from the perspective of God fearing people.  It's hard to go wrong when the parties involved have their faith well grounded in whatever system brought them together.  

In certain societies like India where it's still common but usually based on social economic stability/mobility it works well. I remember an Indian guy I worked with being excited about his trip back home and the prospect of his parents finding a bride for him. Hopefully the mate they eventually selected had the same desire about the life long commitment.  

It's not always the case for good though.  For example some parents marrying 6yo daughters off to 50yo men just to enrich themselves with little regard for their child's welfare/safety.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2017   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service