Adventist Online

Further Thought: “It is the first and highest duty of every rational being to learn from the Scriptures what is truth, and then to walk in the light and encourage others to follow his example. We should day by day study the Bible diligently, weighing every thought and comparing scripture with scripture. With divine help we are to form our opinions for ourselves as we are to answer for ourselves before God.
“The truths most plainly revealed in the Bible have been involved in doubt and darkness by learned men, who, with a pretense of great wisdom, teach that the Scriptures have a mystical, a secret, spiritual meaning not apparent in the language employed. These men are false teachers. It was to such a class that Jesus declared: ‘Ye know not the Scriptures, neither the power of God.’ Mark 12:24 . The language of the Bible should be explained according to its obvious meaning, unless a symbol or figure is employed. Christ has given the promise: ‘If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine.’ John 7:17 . If men would but take the Bible as it reads, if there were no false teachers to mislead and confuse their minds, a work would be accomplished that would make angels glad and that would bring into the fold of Christ thousands upon thousands who are now wandering in error.” - Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, pp. 598, 599.
Discussion Questions:
1. What other crucial principles are involved in seeking to come to a clear understanding of Scripture?
2. Martin Luther wrote that, “Scripture is its own light.” By that he meant that there’s an underlying unity in the Bible and that one part can be used to help us to understand other parts. What are some examples of this principle that you can find?
3. In class go over your answer to Monday’s question about the event or events that greatly impacted your Christian experience. What do the events have in common, if anything? What can you learn from one another’s experiences?
4. If someone were to ask you how studying the Bible can deepen your walk with the Lord, what would you answer? What principles have you learned from your own experience of seeking to know the Lord Jesus through study of His Written Word?

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Isa 28:8 For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean. 9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. 10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: 11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. 12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. 13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken. 14 Wherefore hear the word of the LORD, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem. 15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves: 16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste. 17 Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place.

Every relationship, every meeting, every business deal, every greeting and every smile or hand shake, every word spoken, every thing in my daily work and walk can be done for Christ.  Every action I take from the time I get out of bed till I go to sleep can have and should be done with the thought of how the Bible would apply to it.

"With divine help we are to form our opinions for ourselves as we are to answer for ourselves before God."

Amen.

Bible Study for all ages not separate rooms for the little ones.

Those that can't read can quietly play with a toy or 2 near their parents or in the mother's room.

If they are crying they need to be removed from the main auditorium.

Andrew, I am wondering if your 3 comments should have been in another comment as they don't seem to belong in this one as there isn't anything about babies or kids in it.

Mr. Freedom,

no but it is about the written word and my point is that children need the pure milk of the word also so they can grow thereby.

so it is connected to the thread.

Just wondering why you need force children to hear something that they do not understand? Here in our church we have a spot in worship hour that is for the children. You can give the children the pure word of God in a form they can understand. 

I like this quote from Ellen... What do you think? ...Art

Counsels to Writers and Editors, page 35.

"There is no excuse for anyone in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed and that all our expositions of Scripture are without error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people is not a proof that our ideas are infallible.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2022   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service