Adventist Online

It's SO much harder to receive than to give. My neighbors just arrived and started shoveling our driveway from the snow that has piled up. I never ask them to ... but they do it rather frequently. They know it is difficult for me to do it. But, it does so hurt my pride. Perhaps the sin of pride is what God is working on with me. But, I just hate to have others help me. Does that sound bad? Unfortunately ... I do need help from time to time. My wife tells me that the blessing is in the giving. That it is they who are receiving the blessing so I should just allow them to be blessed.

This all sounds great in theory ... but then my pride sticks it's ugly head up and I start to get jealous. Now I have two problems ... Pride and Jealousy. I wish it was me that was getting blessed instead of them. My problems seem to be compounding. It becomes like a snow ball from the very snow that they are shoveling.

IS there any hope for me?

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

MY DEAR BROTHER IN CHRIST - THAT IS WHERE THE POWER OF PRAYER AND SPEAKING GOD'S WORD TO YOUR SITUATION IS VERY IMPORTANT. I CAN SAY THAT BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN THERE AND WHEN THE HOLY SPIRIT STARTED TO SHOW ME ABOUT PRAYING FOR THE INDIVIDUAL AND THANKING GOD FOR THEM - SOMETHING AWESOME HAPPENS INSIDE OF ME. THE WORD IS POWERFUL AND THE ANGELS ARE WAITING FOR US TO SPEAK GOD'S WORD OVER OUR SITUATIONS SO THAT THEY CAN DO THEIR WORK. I WILL KEEP YOU IN PRAYER CONCERNING THIS BECAUSE THAT TOO IS POWERFUL AND PRECIOUS WHEN WE LIFT EACH OTHER UP TO THE THRONE OF GRACE. YOU WILL SOON HAVE A HEART FILLED WITH THANKS GIVING AND PRAISE AND EXPERIENCE THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN YOUR LIFE. GOD BLESS - LOVE IN CHRIST - YOUR SISTER IN CHRIST - LEONA
Thank you, Leona for this advice... so true...
Wow... This is definitely my problem... I can't stand the feeling of owing someone for something... I would rather go without than receive help that I can't reciprocate, even with my parents... wow... I didn't realize this was a pride problem... I truly need some serious help... please pray for me. You know NHim, I've been asking God to show me where I need changes in my character...
There is certainly hope for both you and I in this area, N Him.

Let’s remember that when we do good (whether it be in receiving or in giving) that our reward is to come from the Father. Whenever we look to our “neighbors” for approval and recognition then that is likely to be the only reward (or satisfaction) we ever get. But God will reward us “openly” [ultimately by changing our character/personality] if we are willing to take the humble ground.

Paul wrote to the Philippians, saying that while he was in Thessalonica, “you sent a gift more than once for my needs. Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to YOUR account.”
(Phil 4:16-17)

Receiving things from other people really can profit them.

In this thing, if we “exercise ourselves in godliness”, we will gain greater strength and stamina for the humble labor.

SC
YES, I AGREE STEWART- THANK YOU FOR SHARING - GOD BLESS - LEONA
Yes, thank you brother Stuart... still learning about this... something I never realized was a problem until now...
I appreciate each and every response so far. Thank you all SO much. Good discussions.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2021   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service