Adventist Online

the accused of adultery who was caught in the act brought to Jesus... why did Jesus simply said.. Go and SIN NO MORE??? why not, GO and ye are saved?... is there any implication of Jesus statement to our life today since the crucifixion was done and we are saved by the blood of Jesus in the cross.

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There seems to be some confusion here about HOW we are saved.

We are not saved by continuing to keep the Law. We are saved by the blood of Jesus.

We are not 'always' saved. We 'always' have a choice. But we ARE saved. That is a done deal. Jesus died for us. HE was the perfect sacrifice. We do not have to be perfect. We have to accept HIM who was perfect. When we do that ... we have the saved status. When we deny our Lord and reject that saved status ... we are lost.

You have the power to become lost ... at any moment. The choice is yours. You are "always saved' as long as you choose to be saved.
I agree with you on that...Yes, by trully accepting Jesus as our Saviour, we are saved...
I like to think that we are saved every day by Jesus. By that I mean that as many times as we sin, and ask for His forgiveness, He gives it to us unconditionally, and sends us on our way justified - as if we had never sinned that time. We have a clean slate to start with again: we call it grace.

I'm reminded of David - he sinned a whole lot, but he always went to God and got a fresh start, just by the act of going to God and acknowledging he had no power to stop sinning except God should forgive Him, and let him start over. What is admirable, is that for all we know, he didn't commit the same kind of sin twice.
Some ... like myself .... might disagree with the statement that David didn't commit the same sin more than once. But I really don't want to sidetrack this thread.
Well, even if he did, God would not with-hold His grace from him because he can't seem to get over his weakness for women or something. As long as he sincerely requested, "Lord forgive me.." Jesus would always say, "Go, I have forgiven you."

Which leads me to ask, will there ever be a time Jesus will not pardon us? Although I believe His love for us motivates Him to, some argue that as long as the Holy Spirit can give us power to overcome sin, we have no excuse to keep committing sin. What's that all about? (And forgive me for sidetracking the thread)
Okay .... I can go down that rabbit trail. Ha Ha.

It is my belief that we have "no excuse for sin" as Ellen White puts it. That is why we need His Pardon. As long as we desire His pardon ... He will give it. I don't see any time where we as God's people will not receive pardon if we desire it.

In the end ..... there will be a time when God closes things down. Let the wicked remain wicked. IOWs .... God in His wisdom decides whose are His. Those who are lost do not desire pardon and God knows this. So, you have nothing to fear if you desire his pardon. But, there is no reason to delay your decision.
But it has been argued that God will keep us from committing sin by the indwelling of His Holy Spirit. God cannot abide in unclean vessel, those who are in Christ do not commit sin, etc. Victorious sinless life now, not later. Right up till Jesus comes. Yes?
Guess I won't make it then. I am a SINNER saved by GRACE.

So if that ain't true .... I am LOST.
I am very aware of the fact that from that statement alone we are all doomed. So what is the Holy Spirit's indwelling role? To prevent from sinning, or to help us choose a direction away from sin?
That would clearly be choosing a new direction. It is by beholding that we become changed. God is not going to prevent us from sinning. That would take away freedom of choice. We become more and more like Him as we behold Him.
Let me cite that passage again from John 8:1-11 in order that we might have it before us.

“Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.”

The account before us serves a twofold function. In it Jesus purposes to put to shame the legalism or the self-righteousness of the Pharisees who felt they had no sin. But in it He also teaches this woman who was caught in her sin of adultery. He confronts her also. And, as He does, He teaches her about her sin, about pardon, and the requirement of a godly life. And it is that instruction in particular that we wish to consider. Even though the two ideas are inseparably connected and, therefore, we must speak of them both, nevertheless, it is Jesus’ instruction to this adulteress that we are more particularly interested in. We consider our life of sanctification as it stands in inseparable union with our justification and the consciousness of the forgiveness of sins.

Christ has performed the work of salvation within His children. We have been delivered from the power of sin and death and, therefore, there is little wonder why Jesus says to those whom He has made righteous in His blood: “Go, and sin no more.” He can say that because never, never, can we separate justification from sanctification. Those whom God forgives or justifies, them He also cleanses or sanctifies. And this is the basis for such a command of Christ to this woman and to us.

He does not demand of us something we cannot do, because He has not only performed a work for us on the cross, but He has performed a work in us. He did not die just to earn forgiveness for us, but He died in order that He might destroy the power of sin and death in our lives. Christ died in order that we might be cleansed, or washed, from the pollution of sin. And when He did this, He broke the bands that sin had on us and set us free. We now live in the liberty of Christ. Sin and Satan have been conquered, and Christ rules in our lives. Through that power and rule of Christ in us as our Lord, we receive the strength to say “No” to sin and Satan, the strength in our lives to go out and sin no more.

Now, I realize that though this is a reality, yet, nevertheless, we still do sin. I know that. I am not a perfectionist. I realize that this work of sanctification will not be complete until the day of our death, when we will shed the old man of sin and enter into heavenly glory and into perfection. While we are yet in this life, there still is sin. We are weak and helpless to defend ourselves. And if we were to stand in our own strength, then we will fall into temptation and sin. Nevertheless, we cling to Christ Himself. And when we cling to Christ, then, through that work of sanctification in us, we are given the strength to fight against sin.

It is on the basis of that work of sanctification that Christ gives us the command, Go and sin no more.

There is another reason, too, why we receive this command: Gratitude—pure and simple gratitude. If a man saved us from drowning, we would be extremely grateful to him, willing to do almost anything he asked of us. Well, people of God, Christ has delivered us from the pits of fiery perdition. He has delivered us from hell and all its agony and darkness, and given us the joy of a place in heaven. How thankful we should be! And, therefore, how we ought to strive and struggle and wrestle and fight with ourselves and our sin.

Jesus knows that we are not perfect. Jesus knew that this woman was far from perfect. He knew that she would still have to fight against that sin and temptation in her life. Yet, in His strength, she could do that. Every one of us has his own pet sin. Every one of us has a tendency to commit that sin over and over again in life. Maybe that sin is of a public nature. Maybe it is a sin that we alone, and God, know. We have our sins. And we are aware of them. Well, Jesus instructs in the words of this passage that we can, through Christ who strengthens us, overcome those sins. They ought not to hold sway over our hearts. We are called to forsake sin. And that, through the power of our Lord Jesus Christ.

We can never do that on our own—even if we make a conscious attempt to do so. I do not care how determined we may be to overcome sin in ourselves. We can say to ourselves, Never again. But on our own, we will never conquer them. To do so takes total dependence on Jesus Christ alone. And that, in turn, takes a continual work of God’s grace in us. Prayer, consistent prayer, living close to Jesus Christ, exercising ourselves in the means of grace—all these are necessary, you see, to draw our strength from Jesus Christ. And when we draw that strength from Christ, we can fight sin.

Then we can turn around and go, just as did this woman, with the joy of forgiveness and with a conviction of faith, and we can fight against sin. We can go forth as conquerors through Christ. In gratitude to God for our salvation, we will go and sin no more.

That's why it was said GO AND SIN NO MORE not Go and ye are saved...",

For further explanation here's a note am going to share with you
Attachments:
Please let me know if the post justifies the answer to your question..", Thanks...", In God's grace..Ronie ",

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service