Adventist Online

Question: If God came to you today and said, just follow Me (i.e. God) how many would do as requested, or would you just disobey him and continue to follow Ellen G White?

This is a bother to me, because I feel many of our members hold Mrs. White to a higher standard than they hold God and this is not pleasing to Him.

Come on people. Let's get it right.

Views: 3668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let's not get all squirrely  over the issue.  Let me ask you a direct question and get an honest reply.     If the scriptures take you to a fork in the road and do not give you exactly which road to take but Mrs. White in her writings DOES... would you take that road?    Nuff Sed

What Bible are you reading? The word of God is complete, there are no forks in the road.

If someone create a fork in the road by saying somethings that’s not in the Bible; is it really a fork in the road?

Among those who are waiting for the coming of the Lord, meat eating will eventually be done away; flesh will cease to form a part of their diet.

The Bible nowhere employs this type of language for those waiting on the coming of the Lord.  A meatless diet maybe considered perhaps a wise undertaking for various reason, but not a requirement for waiting on the Lord.

Peace

Gene: "If someone create a fork in the road by saying somethings that’s not in the Bible; is it really a fork in the road?"

I say if someone blatantly lies on a person or Church belief and hasn't proved their claims, then I say put a fork in them because their done.

Gene, you have said some things that aren't true, and we know when things are said that aren't true then it's a lie, can we agree with that?

You said,

Gene: "This is not what the IJ is about. The IJ says that salvation for the world closed in October, 1844. That everyone up to that point who had lived and died was judged by that date. And from 1844 all those living are being judged."

Gene: "This IJ robs you of your assurance of your salvation in Christ. Because of it you don’t even know if your calling is an election sure; you have no faith. This teaching is not from God, Satan wants you to doubt that God is able to save, even went we know, he die for us."

Where is your proof Gene??? Show me where you find that in the teaching of the 7th day Adventist Church. This is the fork in the road Gene, we have what we actually believe on one road and another road of lies of what we believe base on your assumptions. Hence, how can one have a honest discussion with you and others when your presenting lies base on your assumptions? It can't be done.

So, until you acknowledge your lies which I assume is base on assumptions, then it makes it easy not to take you to seriously.  Or do you think you can tell untruths and just move forward without answering the charge of lying?

again, you said,

Gene: "This is not what the IJ is about. The IJ says that salvation for the world closed in October, 1844. That everyone up to that point who had lived and died was judged by that date. And from 1844 all those living are being judged."

Wheeeerrreee'sss the beef proof?

Blessings!

Nuff

You said something that really that really pressed upon my mind.  You said,

If the scriptures take you to a fork in the road and do not give you exactly which road to take but Mrs. White in her writings DOES... would you take that road?

1Peter 3:15 tells us this

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that ask you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear…

Let me share something with you that I found today, I think this is very fitting of the issue, it says;

The Bible was written to help us stay balanced in the midst of ideas that lead to dietary extremes.

This not casting stones, it’s just saying that the Bible present a balance view for our lives and not a fork in the road as you see it. This is just an excerpt.

The Bible also deals with controversial health issues. Some believe it is wrong for human beings to eat meat. Pagan Greek philosophers and many in the East promoted vegetarian ideas in the ancient world. Some argue that because Scripture does not specifically mention that God gave Adam and Eve meat to eat, it should not be eaten. But this overlooks the fact that God”the author of laws about clean and unclean meats”said, "these are the animals which you may eat" (Deuteronomy 14:4). Also overlooked is the meal Abraham served to two angelic beings and the one who became the Jesus Christ of the New Testament (Genesis 18:3). That meal included cakes, meat, butter and milk (Genesis 18:6-8). Jesus Christ served fish to His disciples (John 21:9-13). Paul cautions New Testament Christians not to be caught up in vegetarian ideas (Romans 14:2; 1 Timothy 4:3). The Bible was written to help us stay balanced in the midst of ideas that lead to dietary extremes.

Gene 

EGW has dealt with the fork in the road like this:

Intemperance in eating and in drinking, and the indulgence of base passions have benumbed the fine sensibilities, so that sacred things have been placed upon a level with common things. Nadab and Abihu drank too freely of wine, and the result was, they used common fire instead of sacred, and were destroyed for thus dishonoring God. When appetite is left to control reason, sacred things are not discerned. God expressly commanded the children of Israel not to eat swine’s flesh. The heathen used this meat as an article of food. God prohibited the Hebrews the use of swine’s flesh because it was hurtful. It would fill the system with humors, and in that warm climate often produced leprosy. Its influence upon the system in that climate was far more injurious than in a colder climate. But God never designed the swineto be eaten under any circumstances. Swine were useful. In a fruitful country, where there was much to decay upon the ground, which would poison the atmosphere, herds of swine were permitted to run free, and devoured the decaying substances, which was a means of preserving health. Other animals were forbidden to be eaten by the Israelites, because they were not the best articles of food. {4aSG 124.1}

Elijah, but you’re missing the point.  There is no fork in the road. The Bible gives us the principles of clean and unclean meats, not EGW.  If a ministry teaches these principles, it will teach what God says, and not what EGW says

The word of God is above anything Sister White wrote or said even if she was inspired by God in some cases. She is not infallible. just as Moses, David, Elijah, John the baptist and every other prophet or prophetess. All mankind is fallible and are prone to make mistakes. its wired into our own being. Same goes for Sister White.

At the end of the day its SOLA SCRIPTORA..

Yes I agree, but Moses, David, Elijah, John the Baptist are all in the SCRIPTORA.  Obviously God put them in there to be His source of inspiration to us.

Greetings in the Name of our Lord Jehovah, and His Son Jesus the Christ.A Bless and fruitful Sabbath to all the brethren here and across the world.

On the other hand,  in treating with the question for debate, it, reader, is a very significant and profound one. It is asking who do you give the highest priority - God's Holy Writ [the Bible] or Sister White written work. Thus, to answer your question, I in choosing between the will choose God's Holy Writ [Bible] as my highest priority is - this is the Holy Book, I thrive and live on. It has applications for daily living.

What about Sister White's work? In my assessment of some her pieces, there are some that are amongst the  Literary classics, and in reading her pieces, one can glean some thought provoking statements, or phrases.

However, there are some Adventist who  have a question mark on the frequent use her work in sermons, presentation, lay preaching, youth sessions and so on. For it seems that there is no other viable, credible source to quote from than Ellen G. White. So whether its an Adventist preacher or just an Adventist member, you will seldom hear a quote from a non - denominational author/scholar et cetera. They have to quote some statement or phrase from her.

This my friend is a customary act on their part, and It is done because those presenting are of the view that it will make their presentation or sermon delivery more credible and palatable/acceptable among the hearers - it comes even more important when you have Adventist dignitaries.It is a cycle that would not break so easily my friend.

So although there are some Adventist who are living according to Jehovah's tenets and are of the view that there are other credible sources one can quote from, there are a vast majority of Adventist who believe, inculcate, and quote Sis. White written works, though they may have a relationship with Jehovah/Yahweh.

Thus as I rest my case, the Bible is not difficult to understand, though they may be prophecies in the minor and major prophets that one may no know what, or who Jehovah is talking about. However, If you want to learn Church History, for example, you don't need to go read the Great Controversy, when there is a wealth of resources online on the subject. If you want to know what Jehovah is saying with regards to the future, you can turn to the Bible.

For in studying these other resources and the Bible - and importantly, let me interject here, please pray before you commence your Bible study - yes, when you study these written elements, Jehovah will reveal points that you should note well - somehow the information just jumps out at you. That should lead you to a pray of repentance or pray of praise and Thanks giving to the Almighty, who live for ever and ever amen.

May Jehovah, and His Spirit, guide the minds of His people; and disbelievers return to Him, who is the Father and Creator of all things seen and unseen, known and unknown. Amen

Well said Garth.

Hello Garth

Wise words. The struggle for many SDA's is to determine which source of faith is most valid. The historical standard is for the church to give greater weight to the compilation of Ellen Whites work.   Ellen White herself indicated that greater weight should be given to scripture. However, there are many who have ignored her guidance, and it could be argued that she approved of the central place of her scriptural interpretations and additions. In truth Ellen Whites work is more of an aggregate of different scriptural authors rather than one source. Thus, it should be balanced with scripture rather than elevated above it. If SDA's were provided with the truth about Ellen White's work then they would be able to be objective about it. Instead she is presented as the sole modern day prophet in which infallibility is associated. SDA's are taught that she speaks for God as his primary prophet. They feel that her words are in complete agreement with scripture. So indicating that if her words are not consistent with scripture they should be ignored is disingenuous.  The majority of Adventist who believe that Ellen White was a prophet when asked cannot come up with a single instance when her testimony deviates from scripture. For those that don't believe me ask them and see how they will struggle to come up with a single example. This in my opinion is dangerous worship equivalent to cultism.

Leon

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by