Adventist Online

A friend of mine a jehovah witness, has always claimed when we are descussing about the word, that God has his REAL name called YAHWEH.

HOW TRUE IS IT?

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Once again, no one least of all myself is saying that you HAVE to say his name in any way. The thread is does God have a real name, not do we have to pronounce it such and such a way. I thought I made myself clear on that but I guess not. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. Because knowing God's name will save absolutely no one.

Sorry to prolong this but...

Here's the original post: "A friend of mine a jehovah witness, has always claimed when we are descussing about the word, that God has his REAL name called YAHWEH.

HOW TRUE IS IT?"

What I am disputing is that the real name is "Yahweh" because you only get that name by adding vowels to the tetragrammaton. If they were saying that His real name is "Yhwh" then I wouldn't have such a problem. But "Yahweh" means that someone has decided that it is the correct pronunciation of the tetragrammaton, I wonder how they know?

So, yes, according to the OP, someone is saying that you HAVE to say His name a particular way.

John B, I gotta tell you that eye is creepy.  I reminds me of the all-seeing eye or Big Brother, could you perhaps, maybe, just possibly, put up a different icon?

Dee

I don't agree with my friend who believes that God's name is only Yahweh, I shows a lack of understanding I feel and a lack of knowledge of the true God.

"ELOHIM" (or Elohay) is the first name for God found in the Bible, and it's used throughout the Old Testament over 2,300 times. Elohim comes from the Hebrew root meaning "strength" or "power", and has the unusual characteristic of being plural in form. In Genesis 1:1, we read, "In the beginning Elohim created the heaven and the earth." Right from the start, this plural form for the name of God is used to describe the One God, a mystery that is uncovered throughout the rest of the Bible. Throughout scripture, Elohim is combined with other words to describe certain characteristics of God. Some examples: Elohay Kedem - God of the Beginning: (Deuteronomy 33:27). Elohay Mishpat - God Of Justice: (Isaiah 30:18). Elohay Selichot - God Of Forgiveness: (Nehemiah 9:17). Elohay Marom - God Of Heights: (Micah 6:6). Elohay Mikarov - God Who Is Near: (Jeremiah 23:23). Elohay Mauzi - God Of My Strength: (Psalm 43:2). Elohay Tehilati - God Of My Praise: (Psalm 109:1). Elohay Yishi - God Of My Salvation: (Psalm 18:46). Elohim Kedoshim - Holy God: (Leviticus 19:2, Joshua 24:19). Elohim Chaiyim - Living God: (Jeremiah 10:10). Elohay Elohim - God Of Gods: (Deuteronomy 10:17).

"EL" is another name used for God in the Bible, showing up about 200 times in the Old Testament. El is the simple form arising from Elohim, and is often combined with other words for descriptive emphasis. Some examples: El HaNe'eman - The Faithful God: (Deuteronomy 7:9). El HaGadol - The Great God: (Deuteronomy 10:17). El HaKadosh - The Holy God: (Isaiah 5:16). El Yisrael - The God Of Israel: (Psalm 68:35). El HaShamayim - The God Of The Heavens: (Psalm 136:26). El De'ot - The God Of Knowledge: (1 Samuel 2:3). El Emet - The God Of Truth: (Psalm 31:6). El Yeshuati - The God Of My Salvation: (Isaiah 12:2). El Elyon - The Most High God: (Genesis 14:18). Immanu El - God Is With Us: (Isaiah 7:14). El Olam - The God Of Eternity (Genesis 21:33). El Echad - The One God: (Malachi 2:10). "ELAH" is another name for God, used about 70 times in the Old Testament. Again, when combined with other words, we see different attributes of God. Some examples: Elah Yerush'lem - God of Jerusalem: (Ezra 7:19). Elah Yisrael - God of Israel: (Ezra 5:1). Elah Sh'maya - God of Heaven: (Ezra 7:23). Elah Sh'maya V'Arah - God of Heaven and Earth: (Ezra 5:11).

"YHVH" is the Hebrew word that translates as "LORD". Found more often in the Old Testament than any other name for God (approximately 7,000 times), the title is also referred to as the "Tetragrammaton," meaning the "The Four Letters". YHVH comes from the Hebrew verb "to be" and is the special name that God revealed to Moses at the burning bush. "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM; and He said, thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you... this is My eternal name, and this is how I am to be recalled for all generations'" (Exodus 3:14-15). Therefore, YHVH declares God's absolute being - the source of everything, without beginning and without end. Although some pronounce YHVH as "Jehovah" or "Yaweh," scholars really don't know the proper pronunciation. The Jews stopped pronouncing this name by about 200 A.D., out of fear of breaking the commandment "You shall not take the name of YHVH your God in vain" (Exodus 20:7). (Today's rabbis typically use "Adonai" in place of YHVH.) Here are some examples of YHVH used in scripture: YHVH Elohim - LORD God: (Genesis 2:4). YHVH M'kadesh - The LORD Who Makes Holy: (Ezekiel 37:28). YHVH Yireh - The LORD Who Sees/provides: (Genesis 22:14). YHVH Nissi - The LORD My Banner: (Exodus 17:15). YHVH Shalom - The LORD Of Peace: (Judges 6:24). YHVH Tzidkaynu - The LORD Our Righteousness: (Jeremiah 33:16). YHVH O'saynu - The LORD our Maker: (Psalm 95:6).

Names of God: The Lord Revealed in YHVH is the Lord Revealed in Yeshua (Jesus)
The LORD who revealed Himself as YHVH in the Old Testament is revealed as Yeshua (Jesus) in the New Testament. Jesus shares the same attributes as YHVH and clearly claims to be YHVH. In John 8:56-59, Jesus presents himself as the "I AM." When challenged by some Jewish leaders regarding His claim of seeing Abraham (who lived some 2000 years earlier), Jesus replied, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM." Those Jewish leaders understood that Jesus was claiming to be YHVH. This is clearly established when they tried to stone Him to death for what they considered blasphemy under Jewish Law. In Romans 10:9, Paul declares, "if you confess with your mouth Yeshua as LORD... you shall be saved." Immediately thereafter, in Romans 10:13, Paul backs up this declaration by quoting the Old Testament, "Whoever will call upon the name of the LORD (YHVH) will be saved" (Joel 2:32). Calling on Yeshua (Jesus) as Lord is the same as calling Him YHVH, because Yeshua (Jesus) is YHVH (LORD), the Messiah foretold throughout the entire Old Testament

Yes, which is why Dani EL and ELijah etc.,  they were names given to their children by devout parents who wanted them to remember God, no doubt.

You know what?  This heavy explanation is good for a theologian, but if there were street urchins and you came to them and told them about a God who loved them and died on the cross for them and gave them the plan of salvation in simple terms, and they accepted it, God would sing.  Have you ever read that, in our prophets writings?  When someone come to God, God himself sings.

God is not some trite little child who gets his feelings wounded because you are not using the correct pronunciation. And how many who first come to God have a greek-hebrew dictionary?  Did Paul preach another gospel regarding the use of the tongue other than to sing praises to God for his wonderful mercies to the children of men, did David?  I know a Jehovahs witness, he has been cast of our his church as he was found beating his wife and children over 20 years ago, he know has schizophrenia and his home is the most desperate state of filth I have ever encountered, there are flies and old food on his floor and you have to go in amidst buzzing of flies and the decaying matter all over the furniture and beds, he was evicted eventually and he called me.  He has every single bible known to mankind, and if he finds another one he buys it with his meagre pension funds.  He has  sign that says Jehovah hanging over his bedroom doorway.  he says to me all the time, I would marry you Dee, but you are of the wrong faith, and you don't call Jehovah by his right name, (ah, shucks, another proposal turned down.....laugh) but the point I am making is that his witness, means more, his understanding is dim.  The name matter little, the reverent way you approach him means more.  I mean look at the sons of Aaron, they came into God's presence drunk and offered strange fire before the Lord, and God was totally unimpressed, I bet, the odds are higher than high that they knew his right name.  Get it on people, awake, awake, awake, it is our relationship with God that matters?  Don't you feel like dying if you are separated from him for a moment, and don't you feel like singing and flying to the highest heavens when he calls your name in the middle of the night because he has something to tell you?  God is might, he is love, he is omnipotent and he is not a child to quibble over matters.

If my children kneel and call him God at night, or Jesus please change my naughty heart I can tell you he is bending low to hear.

The bible says: If the trumpet give an uncertain sound no one for the battle will prepare.

Unless you make words easy to be understood, the bible says you speak into the air.

Make it clear, make it plain, make it easy to be understood, give the message of salvation, give it simply like you should.

well people why the benedict 16 restricted using of god name

i read that article but not understand i am not so biblical knowedgleable

http://communio.stblogs.org/2008/08/on-the-use-of-the-name-of-god.html

Nothing in the Torah prohibits a person from pronouncing the Name of God. Indeed, it is evident from scripture that God's Name was pronounced routinely. Many common Hebrew names contain "Yah" or "Yahu," part of God's four-letter Name. The Name was pronounced as part of daily services in the Temple.

The Mishnah confirms that there was no prohibition against pronouncing The Name in ancient times. In fact, the Mishnah recommends using God's Name as a routine greeting to a fellow Jew. Berakhot 9:5. However, by the time of the Talmud, it was the custom to use substitute Names for God. Some rabbis asserted that a person who pronounces YHVH according to its letters (instead of using a substitute) has no place in the World to Come, and should be put to death. Instead of pronouncing the four-letter Name, we usually substitute the Name "Adonai," or simply say "Ha-Shem" (lit. The Name).

Although the prohibition on pronunciation applies only to the four-letter Name, Jews customarily do not pronounce any of God's many Names except in prayer or study. The usual practice is to substitute letters or syllables, so that Adonai becomes Adoshem or Ha-Shem, Elohaynu and Elohim become Elokaynu and Elokim, etc.

With the Temple destroyed and the prohibition on pronouncing The Name outside of the Temple, pronunciation of the Name fell into disuse. Scholars passed down knowledge of the correct pronunciation of YHVH for many generations, but eventually the correct pronunciation was lost, and we no longer know it with any certainty. We do not know what vowels were used, or even whether the Vav in the Name was a vowel or a consonant. See Hebrew Alphabet for more information about the difficulties in pronouncing Hebrew. Some religious scholars suggest that the Name was pronounced "Yahweh," but others do not find this pronunciation particularly persuasive.

Some people render the four-letter Name as "Jehovah," but this pronunciation is particularly unlikely. The word "Jehovah" comes from the fact that ancient Jewish texts used to put the vowels of the Name "Adonai" (the usual substitute for YHVH) under the consonants of YHVH to remind people not to pronounce YHVH as written. A sixteenth century German Christian scribe, while transliterating the Bible into Latin for the Pope, wrote the Name out as it appeared in his texts, with the consonants of YHVH and the vowels of Adonai, and came up with the word JeHoVaH, and the name stuck.

If you all would do a little research into the origin of the names used to address the Father, Son, and Set-apart Spirit this question could be easily answered. Look up the word "Lord" in a Bible dictionary- means Baal. There was no "J" in the English language until the 1600's, up until then Yahushua was called Esus.  Esus is a pagan god of the hunt. Adoni  is another name for Adonis another pagan god.  Amen is an Egyptian word handed down without change meaning the hidden god, Amen Ra. ( Egyptian Book of the Dead)    This list could go on and on. Was it not the lying pen of the scribes who took the name out?  Who were these scribes?  And why is Yahushua of the Jericho event translated "Joshua" and Yahushua our Savior translated "Jesus" when it is the same word?   Then go to your Strongs and do a study on the word "name".  Then you will see why Satan wanted the Father's name removed from our vocabulary. The Scriptures tell us not to let the names of pagan gods be uttered from our lips and that the names of Baal and in the last day will be removed from the lips of the Father's people. 

Connie, this sounds too much like formalising religion to a degree where it becomes works out of fear.

When we pray the Holy Spirit intercedes and "translates" for us. The Holy Spirit knows the intent of our hearts and to whom we are praying. It is akin to telling Arab Christians that they must not use the Arabic word for God because Muslims use the same word.

When I pray to the Father He knows I'm praying to Him - He doesn't wait until I get His name "right".

Then we still have the problem of knowing whether the pronunciation is correct. If it is going to be a test, how do you know when you've got the answer right?

As far as the letter "J" is concerned, what a red herring. The sound was certainly in use in Latin and Greek before Christ.

This is just another distraction, the kind of formalism that led to Pharisaism in Christ's day and to Roman Catholicism in ours. Both orientated on works to the neglect of understanding the true loving character of God.

Like I said, do a little research and if you still think calling the Father and the Son by the names of Satan and his cohorts is something you want to do, it's your choice. I for one, out of love not fear,  will call my Father, His Son, and the Set-apart Spirit by their names and pronounce them to the best of my ability.  Oh, while you are at it, you might want to do a little research into how demons are summoned.  You just have to call on their name.  The Father may know who you are praying to, but who else is going to show up?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service