Adventist Online

A friend of mine a jehovah witness, has always claimed when we are descussing about the word, that God has his REAL name called YAHWEH.

HOW TRUE IS IT?

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry if you feel I came at you with and attitude. When I said "Pardon?" I was saying that I didn't understand. Then I went on to try and explain what I mean by my previous statement

Mark

No, Abraham was not a Christian.  He was a worshipper of Jehovah.  When the Son of God was incarnated, He became the Christ, called Jesus.  When people followed Him, they were called Christians.  Abraham would have been a Christian, except that he was born a few years too early.

Happy Sabbath!

Maranatha :)
Ray

Mark

All that you say is true.  However, it still stands that the term "Christian" was first used after the cross.  It is true that Abraham worshipped the same person, He just had not taken on the office of the Messiah/Christ at that time.

"and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught a great many people. And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians." Acts 11:26 (ESV) 

Maranatha :)
Ray

I have a friend who thinks that Yahweh is his only name. 

In the bible God has many facets and he has many names to show those facets of his character.

Such as The rose of sharon, Shiloh, Christ, Jesus, God, Jehovah Jireh, etc.

I am YAHWEH, that is my name and my glory will I not give to another, Isaiah 42:8. God knows the heart and knows when someone is calling on him so I don't really think it is an issue, I just don't understand why some people get so offended when they hear that name.  After all in Romans Paul says that whoever will call upon the name of the LOrd will be saved. 

Ezra 

"I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images." Isa.42:8

The problem that I have with this is the use of the word "Yahweh". Why "Yahweh"? The word "LORD" that appears there is a transliteration of the tetragrammaton - the letters used in place of God's name. This word was never pronounced so I am concerned as to how we come to the English pronounciation of "Yahweh" when the Hebrew characters spell "Yhwh" - no vowels.

Someone decided to put the vowels in to make the word "Yahweh" but wouldn't it be just as valid to pronounce the word "Yahuwahu", "Yahuwah", "Jehovah", etc.?

So, if there is a specific name of God - how do we know how to pronounce it?

How do you know it was not pronounced? What sense would it make for God to tell them what his name was it if it was impossible to pronounce?

Because it was God's Holy name they did not pronounce it - ask a Jew.

As for it being impossible to pronounce - that's you adding to my post, I didn't say that.

How do you know that the tetragrammaton was pronounced "Yahweh" and not "Yahu" or "Yehovah"?

Not pronouncing his name was a Jewish custom, the same is all the rigorous requirements that they placed on the sabbath.

That's as may be... my point is, how do we know that the name was pronounced "Yahweh" as opposed to "Yahuwahu" or Yahowa" when there are no vowel sounds present in the Hebrew?

The Bible verse uses the word "LORD" in place of the tetragrammaton. You replaced "LORD" with "Yahweh". I'm intrigued as to your reason for deciding that "Yahweh" is the correct transliteration/pronounciation.

I have the same problem with those who claim that "Yahweh" is "the" holy name of God and we must not use another name. How does one know?

Who said we must not use another name? He has many names, but he only specificly revealed one. Even in Exodus 6:2-3 he said; And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I [am] the LORD And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by [the name of] God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them. However, there are many names that he was known by.

To Ezra & Alex:

I'm sorry, I'm afraid that I have not made myself clear, so let me try and clarify.

Remember the topic of the thread is that God's "real" name is "Yahweh". Some within our own ranks claim that this is the only name that we should use when referring to God.

I disagree, in fact I believe that it is a form of salvation by works. One of the big problems is that we don't actually know how the tetragrammaton was pronounced. The Jews stopped pronouncing it and replaced, or rather added to, the tetragrammaton a series of vowels. This was not an aid to pronunciation but rather a way of disuading attempts to pronounce the word.

So... when someone says that we must pronounce the tetragrammaton a certain way, i.e. "Yahweh", my first question is... how do you know? There is no-one alive today who can, with all certainty, tell us how the name should be pronounced. It seems that someone has made the pronunciation a test, in that, if you do not call God "Yahweh" you are blaspheming. There have been posts on this forum before where posters have stated that - and I encounter people in our SDA camp who make a similar claim.

Well-meaning ignorance is one thing but when it becomes a test of whether you are "saved" or not, that's a different matter.

IOW: It is one thing to say that we must call God by His real name - but how do we know that the word is pronounced the way it is transliterated? Personally, I think that "I AM" sums up the nature of God very well and I have no problem using the English words. I don't see why we have to try and pronounce Hebrew words instead of using the English equivalent. I believe that God knows who we are referring to and I depend on the Holy Spirit to translate my prayers anyway.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service