Adventist Online

Should we as christians go to the movies?

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Which movies?, if I may ask.
Cinemas showing Holywood products - Horrors, Comedy n Romance, Action & Adventure, Adaptation, Science fiction. That's pretty much the category of movies in the box office but most of the time it's Action & Adventure, Horrors or Science fiction.
As soon as I quote Bible verses, someone says "where's the Bible verses?" And then someone else says "good point". That's just a regular comedy act.

Well here's more:

1 John 2:16 For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

There may be some movies that are quite educational. I'll admit that. But I hope you can at least use some discretion.

And never join with, or give your approval to heretics who say that Ellen White was just flat wrong.

Titus 3:10 A man that is an heretic after the first and second admonition reject;
3:11 Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

They will show just as much contempt for any of the prophets, and for God Himself for raising them up and for giving them words to speak.

2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.

Those who despise Ellen White, would not have had any respect for John the Baptist, or any of the prophets in their day.

Matt. 17:12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.

The same people who persecuted John, the Lord Jesus, and all of His disciples, who where prophets, themselves, raised up by the hand of God, they claimed to have honor for the prophets in the past.

Matt. 23:30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
23:31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.

Look at how so many revile a prophet whom God has raised up recently, and they claim they would have honored the prophets in the past. Nothing has changed.
I agree with all the Bible quotes. (Not the commentary). But perhaps you could start another thread with that topic.
Ellen white says we should not because of creeping compromise and desenceatizing our thoughts to spiritualizm and letting them take up our free time so we dont spend it with God or studying his word. Think about it, if we didn't have tv, movies, video games what would we do? We would have more time to sit around and study Gods word. So If you believe Ellen White was a prophet, she said dont watch them.
I would be interested in seeing the quote of Ellen White saying we should not watch movies. That would be a new one on me. And even IF she did ... was this in vision and thus a message from God? Or was it just her personal and private ... non 'prophetic' thoughts?
Messages to Young People -
  • The true Christian will not desire to enter any place of amusement or engage in any diversion upon which he cannot ask the blessing of God. He will not be found at the theater, the billiard hall, or the bowling saloon. He will not unite with the gay waltzers, or indulge in any other bewitching pleasure that will banish Christ from the mind. {MYP 398.1}
  • When we come to the final hour, and stand face to face with the record of our lives, shall we regret that we have attended so few parties of pleasure? that we have participated in so few scenes of thoughtless mirth? Shall we not, rather, bitterly regret that so many precious hours have been wasted in self-gratification,--so many opportunities neglected, which, rightly improved, would have secured for us immortal treasures? {MYP 398.3}
  • The love of pleasure is one of the most dangerous, because it is one of the most subtle, of the many temptations that assail the children and youth in the cities. Holidays are numerous; games and horse racing draw thousands, and the whirl of excitement and pleasure attracts them away from the sober duties of life. Money that should have been saved for better uses--in many cases the scanty earnings of the poor--is frittered away for amusements.-- "Fundamentals of Christian Education," p. 422.
  • Any amusement in which you can engage asking the blessing of God upon it in faith, will not be dangerous. But any amusement which disqualifies you for secret prayer, for devotion at the altar of prayer, or for taking part in the prayer meeting, is not safe, but dangerous.--"Counsels to Teachers, Parents, and Students," p. 337. {MYP 386.3} Bro, I think it's high time you get yourself a copy of SoP software and educate yourself. It's a grave mistake for not studying God's word, because God desires excellence and not mediocre people. Don't block the light given, because it's from above. E.G White has a lot which could change your view of things.
Just as I thought. No mention of 'movies'.

And if you consider the statement "He will not be found at the theater" ... we have to take into light that Ellen White herself was found "in the theater". As far as movies ... no mention of them. Silence. Granted ... we should be careful in what we watch. That goes without saying. But it does not mean that all TV and movies are bad.

And while the above quotes you gave might be of some value .... were they just her own private thoughts .... or were they in a vision from God. Usually when it is from God .... she writes "I was shown ..."
Brotha 4HIm, do you think God's blessing are invoked onto you when you are watching a movie full of blood, killings and horror?

If Jesus was to come, while you are watching such a movie, do you think you'd be in heavenly mood?

Money spent in going to the cinema, especially if a new movie is opening, if you take a radical step and instead you donate that money to advance God's work don't you think you'd have stored treasures in heaven than giving it to a devil controlled Hollywood?
One can reason the movies are online these days, we need not to go to the cinema, as much as that is possible, whatever we watch should make sure we are in a state of constant prayer and giving Glory to God.
Psychologically you are made up of what you behold, I'm wondering if you are watching a flick with sexual content and by chance the actress has a gorgeous body better than for your wife, could you please let me know what your mind is capable of doing?, If I'm not mistaken close to fantasy.

All in all, there are documentary films, nature and some comedy which can be watched, but it's better and I think these last days to stay far from movies. Almost all movies are blaspheming God, have strong language, and most of the actors and actresses are devil worshipers.

We are from above, I think if we train ourselves to focus on heavenly things, we can endure. One can watch christian channels, music videos, documentary films, and may be news and be contented.
Not sure where you got the idea of "watching a movie full of blood, killings and horror". Perhaps you could start a new thread on that topic. But this thread had no mention of that. Of course that would not be something I would personally watch. Some Christians do. But ...

"Do not watch others in order to point out their faults or errors. Teach by example. Let your self-denial and your victory over appetite be an illustration of obedience to right principles. Let your life bear witness to the sanctifying, ennobling influence of truth." Ellen White in CD 464

This would apply to the movies that you watch. But we don't have to throw out the baby with the bath water. Are movies Okay? Yes, clearly some are. But the judgment of which ones ... is left to each person.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service