Adventist Online

Adultery the Only Reason for Divorce—A woman may be legally divorced from her husband by the laws of the land and yet not divorced in the sight of God and according to the higher law. There is only one sin, which is adultery, which can place the husband or wife in a position where they can be free from the marriage vow in the sight of God. Although the laws of the land may grant a divorce, yet they are husband and wife still in the Bible light, according to the laws of God. – {TSB 78.4}

I saw that Sister Jones, as yet, has no right to marry another man; but if she, or any other woman, should obtain a divorce legally on the ground that her husband was guilty of adultery, then she is free to be married to whom she chooses.—The Adventist Home, 344. – {TSB 79.1}

Among the Jews a man was permitted to put away his wife for the most trivial offenses, and the woman was then at liberty to marry again. This practice led to great wretchedness and sin. In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus declared plainly that there could be no dissolution of the marriage tie except for unfaithfulness to the marriage vow. “Everyone,” He said, “that putteth away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, maketh her an adulteress: and whosoever shall marry her when she is put away committeth adultery” (Matthew 5:32, R.V.). – {TSB 79.2}

When the Pharisees afterward questioned Him concerning the lawfulness of divorce, Jesus pointed His hearers back to the marriage institution as ordained at creation. “Because of the hardness of your hearts,” He said, Moses “suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so” (Matthew 19:8). He referred them to the blessed days of Eden, when God pronounced all things “very good.” Then marriage and the Sabbath had their origin, twin institutions for the glory of God in the benefit of humanity. Then, as the Creator joined the hands of the holy pair in wedlock, saying, A man shall “leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one” (Genesis 2:24), He enunciated the law of marriage for all the children of Adam to the close of time. That which the Eternal Father Himself had pronounced good was the law of highest blessing and development for man.—Thoughts from the Mount of Blessing, 63. – {TSB 79.3}

Change Disposition, Not the Marriage Status—I have received a letter from your husband. I would say that there is only one thing for which a husband may lawfully separate from his wife or a wife from her husband, and that is adultery. – {TSB 80.1}

If your dispositions are not congenial, would it not be for the glory of God for you to change these dispositions? – {TSB 80.2}

A husband and wife should cultivate respect and affection for each other. They should guard the spirit, the words, and the actions so that nothing will be said or done to irritate or annoy. Each is to have a care for the other, doing all in their power to strengthen their mutual affection. – {TSB 80.3}

I tell you both to seek the Lord. In love and kindness do your duty one to the other. The husband should cultivate industrious habits, doing his best to support his family. This will lead his wife to have respect for him.—The Adventist Home, 345. – {TSB 80.4}

Views: 937

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Disagree!

1Jo 5:3  For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome

No true obedience exists without love. Anything else is being a robot, a pharisee or a noisy gong.

Is love an emotion easily tossed to and fro..

or a principle that stands strong as  winds of trial blow ?

We are called to obey God come what feeling may;

And to do His will regarding not what others say.

In antiquity there was the notion that the body meant nothing and only the soul mattered. This was the result of the dispute of two worldly schools of philosophy (epicureanism vs stoicism).  Paul spoke out against both and taught believers that the body was in fact the temple of the Holy Spirit.

Today we are in a similar situation because another part of God's creation is discredited and ignored: Our emotions: While half the world lives a slave to their feelings the other half ignores them - again caused by two mindsets of the world. Both extremes cause suffering and sickness of both body and soul. It makes me sad to see how Adventists who should be teaching the world proper "use" and care of all parts of man instead choose to demonize an important part of God's creation.

I agree rush;

It appears on the surface, with little to go on, that the wife has emotional problems and may be taking her grief regarding the loss of her mother, out on her husband. Sometimes people do not know how to cope and become angry at someone because of their troubles. They may take it out on someone and the spouse is the most readily available. If by a lack of emotional support the wife meant that the husband was not grieving as much as her, how could she expect that?  Probably the mother in law was a stranger to him until he was an adult. The mother in law only became part of his family through a technicality.

Another possibility is that the wife may have had a feeling of helplessness and this was a way she could control. Most or at least in many marriages the spouse does not live up to the expectations of the other in every way.

I would counsel her to lean less on emotions and more on principles. Maybe with the loss of her mother there is a void where she needs  more attention. I would counsel the husband to give her more attention. Then it would be best if they stop seeking help on sexual matters from a person and take it to God.

I would like to know if it's really possible to forgive and divorce at the same time. I hear "I can forgive them but I don't have to stay with them". If a person forgave another, then what is the reason for the divorce? They have to bring up what they so-called forgave in the past to divorce.

Jesus does not do that to us. When we sin and ask for forgiveness (no matter how many times), He forgives us. Jesus will not leave us behind, when He comes for the righteous saying remember that sin you did, well that's why I'm not coming for you! I think divorce is another one of Satan's tactics, God does not want us to divorce.

Matthew 19:8-9 (NKJV)

He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality,[a] and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”

Sometimes we run from the very things God is trying to filter out of us. You may leave your first spouse because they cheated on you, then marry again (do you really think the next spouse will be perfect???) The second spouse is going to do something as well that you'll have to forgive! Could God be allowing satan to attack you like this, to teach you how to really forgive!?!

For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions. -Matthew 6:14-15

Then Peter came and said to Him, Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times? Jesus said to him, I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. -Matthew 18:21-22

Galatians 6:1-2 Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.

Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions.But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your transgressions. –Mark 11:25-26

But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned. –Luke 6:25-37

Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. And if he sins against you seven times a day, and returns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ forgive him. -Luke 17:3-4

I want to shed a little more light on this scripture:

Matthew 19:8-9 (NKJV)

He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality,[a] and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”

Although one can ask for forgiveness, this is a unique sin that you carry with you until your initial spouse dies! So in a sense, Just as the above scriptures mentioned you are not forgiven of this sin (even if you do ask for forgiveness) until the you're released from the first marriage covenant.

"What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." Matthew 19:6. "Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery." Matthew 19:9. "The woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth." Romans 7:2

Have you not read the story of Hosea... What God wanted him to do was only mimicking the relationship between God and the Israelites. Israelites were symbolic to the prostitute, because they worshiped other Gods, but when they asked for forgiveness/repented God welcomed them back with open arms.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, this allowance from Moses' was that not written in the Torah, the same Laws condoning animal sacrificing. Jesus came back and corrected many things from the Old Testament, but it seems people are using those reasons as an excuse.

2 Corinthians 12:9 (NKJV)

And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Now think about this...1 Peter 4:8 (NKJV) And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.

So If we can't trust all of the scriptures (God know how much we're hurting when we're sinned against, but he also knows we'll be just fine), then how are we going to trust that God is going to be there for us in these end times? I personally don't want to be one that has walked upright on earth all these years, and fall away/ or give up in the end because I didn't exercise my trust better.

I Love You All, Reason I'm Saying This & Don't Want Anyone To Fall Away

Please Just Pray On This

By God's grace a person can forgive another for sexually abusing their child. Does that mean that it is necessary to trust the person again to their care ?

Mrs. White stated that when pastors commit a grievous sin they may be forgiven but that does not mean they necessarily are to be reinstated into their former position. Sometimes by sin we forfeit privileges that we may not be given back in this life even though we are forgiven. Sin has consequences and leaves scars.

Just how much does the church treasurer have to steal before we would say he could NEVER be church treasurer again?

Actually, Texas, tried, and in my mind, rightfully so, to have child molesters receive the death penalty.  However, it did not pass muster, sadly.  I am with Yashua on this one, it is better for a millstone to be wrapped around their neck and thrown into the sea.  I can forgive anything, eventually. But, not through my own might or power.  Somethings are harder than others.  I do not hold grudges for very long.

However, what father would not seek harsh justice for a person who raped their child?

No Elder or Pastor should maintain their position for sexual sin be it rape or adultery.

The scriptures are clear on this. The molester's blood is on his own head. If you kill him you are free from blood guilt.

Oh that our land would follow the statutes and judgements in scripture and our land would be purged from evil.
Btw, the only two ladies are ćommanting on this subject. I think we need to pull out here some our female fellowships attention about it because divorce is not only laid on man's side right. I am a single young woman so I have no much idea about marriage, friction, masturbation and so on.

Aquila:

"Now, let's stop trying to excuse or justify sin."

1 Cor.  7:36    But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of [her] age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry.  

He has to get married, because he lacks the self-control it takes to remain celibate.  Paul says he is not sinning, by getting married.  He has to point this out, because it seems like it is a sin, because it happened from lack of self-control.  I'm sure it seems that way to you, too.

But, if everyone had that kind of self-control, and everyone was celibate, then how would the babies be made?  Then population would dwindle, until we became extinct, and none of us would be here.

It is the curse of our existence.  It is the knowledge of good and evil.

Paul calls it a lack of self control that causes people to have to get married, when they could be devoting their time serving the Lord:

1 Cor. 7:27    Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife.  
 7:28    But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you.  

7:32    But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:  
 7:33    But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please [his] wife.  
 7:34    There is difference [also] between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please [her] husband.  
 7:35    And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.  
 7:36    But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of [her] age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry.  
 7:37    Nevertheless he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, and hath so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, doeth well.  
 7:38    So then he that giveth [her] in marriage doeth well; but he that giveth [her] not in marriage doeth better.

7:40    But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God. 

So, Paul wants you to be celibate, and serve God without distraction, just like the Catholic priesthood.  Also, like the Druids, who are celibate, so they can serve their Devils with greater devotion.

Jesus said this:

Matt.  19:10    His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with [his] wife, it is not good to marry.  
 19:11    But he said unto them, All [men] cannot receive this saying, save [they] to whom it is given.  
 19:12    For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from [their] mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive [it], let him receive [it].

See, worldly people lack self control so much that they sin with absolute abandon, and their life is a never-ending adventure in the pleasures of sin.

But God's people can at least control their lack of self control, and get married properly, and Paul says they do not sin.  There is a difference.  Can you not see it?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service