Adventist Online

Have we missed an opportunity? A group of Amish farmers is re-inventing organic agriculture. By studying the immune system of plants, they have developed a technique that restores natural balance and

For those of us who have heeded the warning and left the cities, it is nice to see that God is calling others out of the City also.  It is exciting to share our faith and Bible truth with others who share similar convictions.  So many are aware of the health problems of GMO and the culture we live in.   So why do so many Adventists want to stay rooted in the City?  
What good is it to be a Vegetarian  SDA if you are forced to buy GMO at a supermarket?  How can you tell the poor to buy non GMO that they cannot afford?  
A group of Amish farmers is re-inventing organic agriculture. By studying the immune system of plants, they have developed a technique that restores natural balance and eliminates the need for agrichemicals. 18 year old John Kempf is the unlikely founder of Advancing Eco Agriculture, a consulting firm established in 2006 to promote science-intensive organic agriculture. No chemicals. Higher qualit...See More
 — with Donna DeCarolisKen-Celia Esquilin,Christine Randa DeRienzoJamie Stone Goldstein andSean LaGasse' Sr.

Views: 173

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The good old cabal at the USDA is what has made organic crops virtually unobtainable by the average consumer and purposefully so.  Many of them have been part of large industrial agriculture and with the large wealthy Monsanto lobby in Congress, there is a conspiracy to make it virtually impossible for the little guy to purchase local organic crops legally.  The small organic farmer has a hard time competing when they are required to fill out a 3" set up papers as if they were a major corporation just to sell organic.

That is what makes the prices prohibitive for most consumers is the licensing fees and monumental paperwork for the local farmer. When the local famer ignores these, seizures, fines and arrests occur.  It seems the best way to grow organic and eat organic, is to raise organic.  Even if you are stuck in an urban environment hydroponics and aquaponics make a smaller footprint.

Very true.  People need the government to tell them what is organic but no one stops them from destroying there health by eating Burger King and McDonald's.   Grew up drinking raw milk and around dairy farms.  It is quite easy to test the quality of raw milk and have inspections for how clean a dairy is.  I cannot drink milk from the store with out getting very sick yet the USDA says one is dangerous and the other is good for us.  The modern factory dairy farm is gross and inhumane to cattle. 

An Amish man who was targeted by federal officials for selling raw milk across state lines – and whose cause was championed by GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul – has shut down his dairy farm.

Dan Allgyer closed his rural Pennsylvania business after a federal judge sided with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and ruled that he violated federal law. U.S. District Judge Lawrence F. Stengel on Feb. 3 ordered Allgyer to stop selling unpasteurized milk across state lines, the U.S. Justice Department announced Wednesday.

Allgyer operated Rainbow Acres Farm, a small dairy farm in Kinzers, in Lancaster County, Pa., that packaged raw milk and sold it to a group of suburban Washington, D.C., consumers called Grassfed On The Hill.  FDA agents infiltrated the buyers’ group by posing as customers and placing orders for delivery across state lines. Federal agents then raided Allgyer’s farm in April 2010. The government filed a civil complaint last year against Allgyer.

“Instead of ceasing his illegal operations, Mr. Allgyer attempted to evade federal regulations that prohibit the interstate sale of raw milk by creating a private membership organization that he used to enter into cow-sharing agreements with his customers,” the Justice Department said.

In the Feb. 3 order granting summary judgment in the government’s favor, the court found that the cow-sharing agreements were “merely a subterfuge” and ordered Allgyer and his associates to stop distributing unpasteurized milk for human consumption in interstate commerce, according to the Justice Department.    

Raw milk can be sold in Pennsylvania, but it is illegal to transport it across state lines. The FDA says unpasteurized milk can contain a variety of harmful bacteria, including listeria, E.coli, salmonella and campylobacter.

“The FDA has determined that drinking raw milk can cause significant harm,” Tony West, assistant attorney general for the Justice Department’s Civil Division, said in a statement. “Working with our federal partners, we will bring enforcement actions like this one to ensure that the American food supply is safe and consumers are not exposed to such risks."

Advocates of raw milk claim the milk is safe and say the government should butt out of individual food choices.

In a statement to its customers, Karine Bouis-Towe of Grassfed On The Hill said: “Dan and Rachel Allgyer have determined that they will discontinue service to our group and close down the farm. Dan has served many of us for more than six years and he is very saddened to have to make this decision but the stress and strain that his family has been under for the past few years due to the case and now the decision has given them no other choice.”

In a telephone interview, Bouis-Towe told msnbc.com: “We are making arrangements to continue to serve our customers. We’re not giving up as a buying club in supporting the consumers’ demands.”

Liz Reitzig, a mother who is an organizer of Grass Fed On The Hill, told The Washington Times the government lawyers ought to "be ashamed."

"Many families are dependent on the milk for health reasons or nutritional needs, so a lot of people will be desperately trying to find another source now," she said, according to the newspaper.

Paul, a Texas congressman who is seeking the GOP presidential nomination, and many of his libertarian-minded followers have championed Allgyer’s cause, condemning the FDA's aggressive enforcement actions against raw milk producers as government tyranny.

Paul referred to the Allgyer case last May when he introduced a bill in the House to allow the shipment and distribution of unpasteurized milk and milk products for human consumption across state lines.

In a statement introducing the legislation, Paul said: “He was not tricking people into buying it, he was not forcing people to purchase it, and there had been no complaints about his product. These were completely voluntary transactions, but ones that our nanny-state federal government did not approve of, and so they shut down his business.”

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/02/15/10418406-amish-farmer-ta...

People should have the right to live as they want...

Why can't I buy raw milk if I want to ? As long as I don't peddle it on others...

Amish is a good religion, better than SDA in many respects...at least they follow their teachings all the way

It would be nice if SDA did something similar, grow our own food, on our own land among ourselves, the world would catch on if they saw us all living 120 yrs all the time....in the country of SDA....I think by mixing in the world we adopt the world too much....

Shalom

We have many Mennonites and Hutterites where I live.  A Bible worker told me of how he studied with a Mennonite man and his family.  The man was convince of the Sabbath and other truth but was very sad because he said to become part of the SDA church he would have to lower certain standards.   This breaks my heart. This family still does observe the Sabbath and goes to camp meetings in the area and have kept high standards. 

"It would be nice if SDA did something similar, grow our own food, on our own land among ourselves,"

I have thought about doing this.  Getting together with others of like mind to form homesteads, maybe buy land together to help each other get started but yet remain independant.   

I agree with you.  The problem is in order to have raw milk, you have to have the room to have your own dairy farm.  If you don't the government makes it very difficult to obtain it from other sources.

As far as the Amish, their doctrines are about predestination and shunning.  Not exactly qualities that scripture endorses.

We never had a dairy.  We just kept one or two cows for milking.  My father had beef cattle.  The milk cows served a number of purposes.  The excess milk was for the cats and herd dogs witch had a job to do.  My mother would keep a culture of buttermilk going.  If there was an orphaned calf there was always milk and a place to keep them.  The greatest thing about herd animals was all the lesson I learned.   I miss those times more than anything.   

I think most people could manage with one or two milk goats or sheep.  I cannot imagine keeping a healthy garden without the aid of animals.  It's as healthy and normal as rain.   Even for those who choose to be vegetarian I cannot see it being easy to have a small farmstead without the aid of animals, chickens in particular.   It is very easy to see that God meant us to be caretakers.

I think the only thing I would want to take from the Amish is farming practice and practical living not Bible doctrine.  

Right, however, cattle require some decent room to pasture.  I remember my grandfather's dairy ranch/farm.  He used to like to take the cream right off the top.  And homemade ice-cream from a hand crank at a dairy farm, there is nothing quite like it.

We have many Mennonites and Hutterites where I live.

Your lucky Raymond, I would seriously consider becoming a Mennonite...become one and be SDA as well....yes they have high standards and we don't....

Actually raising goat's milk is better than cows milk, I have done both....goat's raw milk is nice and keeps for over a week raw in the fridge....raw cow's milk does not keep, barely 4 days...why ? Cows have more bacteria in the milk than goats do, so I used to heat the cows milk to 70 Celsius and put it in the fridge, keep for a week as raw goats milk does.

I miss the Jersey, cream, butter and ice-cream all home made...

Nice comments everybody

Shalom

Amen Rob.  

There is something so peaceful about being around Cows.  They have such a gentle spirit.  When I was young I would walk out into a herd and sit in the grass and listen to them.  If you were quite you could hear the chewing of cud as they relaxed in the sun.  

We had a Jersey cow also.  Lots of cream as you say.  She was funny, she would get angry when anyone but my father would milk her.  She would swat my sister with her tail or try to pin her to wall as she was being milked.  Very funny, such wonderful memories.  

This brings up a question?  What would happen to these breeds of animals if everyone went Vegan and stopped using them.   On small family farms they have a name and are loved and even considered part of the family.  

Talking about cows I still go to my dad's farm and help him take care of his small herd of beef cattle. They are mainly herefords and angus and a variety of ages, We even have a blue rhone cow named Betsy.  In the winter we have to pull hay off of big round bales and then pitch it to the cattle. This is outside where it's cold. When there is a wind my toes and fingers get mighty cold.  My dad is 89 and still does this. In the summer I still do the same chores  I did as a kid. Evenings walk out to the pasture and bring the cows home and lock them up in the yard. Generally cows are pretty compliant if they know where to go but sometimes there is a few who go the wrong way. The cattle are fed mostly organic feed-hay and grass.

I remember the square hay bails.  My grandfather had Herefords.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service