Adventist Online

I would like to ask, Is the Holy Spirit has body or form or image like the Father and the Son? May GOD bless us to know the truth about the question.

Views: 249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Elijah,

It is not the comparison of myself with God; who am I? But God through inspiration of His word gives us understanding of our great potential, our future through Him.

4what is man that You are mindful of him, or the son of man that You care for him? 5You made him a little lower than the angels; You crowned him with glory and honor.…

Yes, man is incomplete, and we now have this sinful nature, but God’s idea far outreaches our own thoughts. God gave us something liken unto Himself

Job 32:8

But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

Man has a spirit in him just as God, and God’s Spirit links with our human spirit to give us understanding. Unlike other species on the planet, we can enjoy and create; we can formalize ideals which comes from within our spirit (good or bad). Thoughts for example are conceived deep with our spirits, the physical brain merely articulate what we conceive in our spirit. Because of the spirit in us, we can experience life, we don’t just exist.

The Bible does not teach that we "have a spirit in us", that belongs to spiritism. By the way, the Bible also doesn't say that the Holy Spirit is IN Him.

We must not forget that the word "spirit" (when related to human beings) is often a translation of different terms from the original languages of the Bible, therefore the word assumes a couple of different meanings.

We know that the human organ responsible for creating, processing and managing thoughts is the brain, therefore, by reading the context of the txt which you quoted, it becomes clear that the word "spirit" in this context has something to do with one's mind and inner self, and is only a shallow comparison to explain a much greater truth concerning the mind of God, which is infinitely superior than ours.

Please be careful not to introduce spiritualistic concepts in here. We have nothing to do with such beliefs, in fact, we are the only ones (as far as I know) who actually preach against such belief of an inner spirit in human bodies. Believing in such thing is dangerous, and opens up the doors for a multitude of deceits from the enemy side.

Josue’,

I have to ask you are you reading the bible or some other book. This has nothing at all to do with spiritualism, the bible is very clear of the spirit in man.

8First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being proclaimed all over the world. 9God, whom I serve with my spirit in preaching the gospel of His Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you 10in my prayers at all times, asking that now at last by God’s will I may succeed in coming to you.…

You make call it your mind or inner-self, never-the-less, it an active or the active essence of who we are. Romans 8:16 says,

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Job 32:8 says

But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

1 Corinthians 2:11 also reveals this:

11For who among men knows the thoughts of man except his own spirit within him?

As human beings we have a spirit within us, it is what animates us and dictates thoughts because thoughts are spiritual.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 says

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Josue’ this is basic training and it should be clear.  Now, we have a spirit because we’re made in God’s image.  God also has a Spirit in Him; the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God. Our spirit is not apart from us, it is part of us, it is the essence of ourselves.  

The bible does tell us that God has a Spirit IN Him; just like man.

…The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11For who among men knows the thoughts of man except his own spirit within him? So too, no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

If the Spirit of God is apart from God (a third person) who knows the thoughts of God then it would be more than God. But if the Spirit is the essence of God thoughts the it is not apart from God but is God.

Here’s an example, Amos 3

Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he reveals his secret to his servants the prophets.

His secrets are the deep things of God, only the Spirit knows God’s secrets, but God reveals those secret to the prophets by the Spirit; which is God. Prophecy is given to the prophet, but to God they are not prophecies, they are already acted upon.  When God told the prophet Isaiah,

In the last days the mountain of the LORD's temple will be established as the highest of the mountains; it will be exalted above the hills, and all nations will stream to it.

This is a deep thing of God, and for God it is already done.

I have shared with you from the bible that there is a spirit in man, and I have showed you how there is also a Spirit in God that is not apart from God. I have also shared with you that the deep things of God are God’s own thoughts just as the deep thing of man thought are his. I’ve also showed you that the deep things of God revealed to the prophet are already completed in God.

Gene,

I will not touch on the nature and essence of the Holy Spirit's subject, because it is also written:

"The nature of the Holy Spirit is a mystery. Men cannot explain it, because the Lord has not revealed it to them. Men having fanciful views may bring together passages of Scripture and put a human construction on them, but the acceptance of these views will not strengthen the church. Regarding such mysteries, which are too deep for human understanding, silence is golden." AA 52.1

My point is only about the concept of "a spirit within us", which you're advocating and using the scriptures to support this point of view, 
without taking in consideration what the different meanings of the word "spirit" in the original languages of the Bible are, and without taking in consideration the additional light we have concerning this subject.

To give an example: You quoted Ecclesiastes 12:7

"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it."

Which portraits death, that is, the exact inverse process observed at the creation, when God created human life in Genesis 2:t

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

Both words used in the two texts, to refer on what else was mixed to the clay Adam to make up a living human being, have the same translation: "breath". (Genesis uses: נְשָׁמָה and Ecclesiastes uses: רוּחַ)

Why Moses did not use an equivalent to the word "spirit" when describing this event? Why suddenly the expression "breath of life", or just "breath" has lost significance to give space to another (much later) word (or concept) to describe the same thing: God's breath

(We do not have enough information to understand what is God's breath made of, by the way, so we should not try to speculate about it)

And my concern on your point of view is that, indeed, it is very similar to spiritualistic view. When you say, for example, that "thoughts are spiritual", attributing this cognitive process to an unknown part of ourselves supposedly 
within us, you are advocating at least half of the spiritualistic view of human life, and it does't take much to embrace the other half, once you have established this foundation, or isn't it precisely what evangelical Christians believe? An immortal soul, going directly to heaven, or hell after death, or anything like that? 

I suggest you re-read those Bible texts you quoted, using a parallel English-Hebrew or English-Greek versions, with Strong's numbers and dictionaries, to get a deeper understanding on the real meaning of the word "spirit" used for such translations.

Also, reading the Bible verses in context, is of crucial importance.

The Holy Spirit dwelling in us, that's what we really need. May God help us to spend more time looking forward to that, and less time debating things which will not strengthen us and the church.

Josue',

Personally, I reject that quote because I believe that God has given to us to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God. Satan doesn’t want us to known the nature of the Holy Spirit and will continue to us this at this present time blind to our understanding.

I’m preparing for a motorcycle trip in a couple of days from Washington DC to Canada and is not able to get further into this at the moment, but you’ve said some things I do wish to respond to.

God Bless,

I understand,

But if we do not agree on what the writings of Ellen White have to say, I'm afraid we won't agree in the other topics as well, because as a Seventh Day Adventist, I believe she was a true prophet, inspired by God to say what she said. 

And since her saying in this topic is also specifically in harmony with this particular Bible principle, I think it would be wise not to reject it:

"The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law." Deut 29:29

Wish you a good trip though, sounds like a really cool adventure.

God bless you too.

JohnB said:

"I pointed out that the word parakletos is only used for a person and never for anything other than a person. You agreed. 

The inescapable conclusion is that the Comforter (parakletos) is, like Christ, a person. Hence, 'another Comforter'."

Yes, very true John but these Guys seem to ignore texts that put a spanner in the works of their thinking. Clearly not a good way of doing a bible study. I have also put this post on a more appropriate thread.

This text seems to give us a good clue and understanding of the Holy Spirit...

Acts 2:1-4 King James Version (KJV)

And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

why did you chose this one over the numerous text speaking on the person-hood of the HS, is it because He is described as a wind or cloven tongues?  

Perhaps it is because of the phrase, "as the Spirit gave them utterance"? Only an individual is able to make such decisions and therefore the Holy Spirit must be an individual, or person.

Jhonalyn, and anyone else following this thread, please give attention to this text, written by Ellen White:

"The nature of the Holy Spirit is a mystery. Men cannot explain it, because the Lord has not revealed it to them. Men having fanciful views may bring together passages of Scripture and put a human construction on them, but the acceptance of these views will not strengthen the church. Regarding such mysteries, which are too deep for human understanding, silence is golden." AA 52.1

I know this subject raises up our curiosity, but some things will only be revealed to us in eternity. Let's focus our efforts towards that direction, then later we will know the answers.

May God bless we all.

The Holy Spirit is Christ's representative, but divested of the personality of humanity, and independent thereof. Cumbered with humanity, Christ could not be in every place personally. Therefore it was for their interest that He should go to the Father, and send the Spirit to be His successor on earth. No one could then have any advantage because of his location or his personal contact with Christ. By the Spirit the Saviour would be accessible to all. In this sense He would be nearer to them than if He had not ascended on high. {DA 669.2}

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service