Adventist Online

I have been hearing a lot lately of Christians, mostly Adventists, who are refusing to watch the new American Idol due to the inclusion of Ellen DeGeneres - a gay woman.

This puzzles me, so those who oppose her participation were OK when the panel was, still is, made up of fornicators? The show has had numerous gay contestants, Adam Lambert being the most recent one. Those did not matter but now there is a lesbian woman those people will boycott the show?

Myself personally I do not watch the show - it just doesn't interest me, but should we judge such people in such ways?

Now here is where many will bring up Sodom and Gamorrah as examples of Gods intolerance for homosexuality but I will remind you that not only was their sin that of homosexuality but something else. Many times I hear the story told of those cities when homosexuality is rebuked but the other sin is hardly mentioned - that being rape. The men of the city not only wanted to have sex with the stranger, angels, they were not giving the men, angels, the choice - they would force them, rape them.

Here are my thoughts on the topic of homosexuality - it is merely another sin, just like lying, murdering. A child born with a deformity such as a missing hand of whatever is no different than the true homosexual. Both are born with a body that has been deformed due to the influence of sin.

Now I am not speaking of those who choose to be gay - I truly believe some are really born with the desire for the same sex, not in a perverse sense such as Sodomites, but more so that it is their real nature - yes in other words a man born into a womans body and vice versa.

This is a rather new concept for me, I was one of those " gays are going to hell" types but recently this issue has been bothering me more and more - we are all born into a sinful nature, those born as homosexuals are merely another manifestation of sin.

I like Ellen DeGeneres - her comedy is clean and actually funny. She does not parade around like a lot of gays do, in other words she has some class.

But that aside - how should we interact with ones like Ellen or others?

If they are truly born this way the idea they can merely change would be almost the same as saying a heterosexual should just love the same sex - could you?

We know he cliche's about how God is against the homosexuals but they are also His children - how should we interact with them, if at all?

Gods peace
Ron

Views: 160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What I was refering to was the statement that "We are born into sin" so being born into homosexuality which is a sin could be possible, since we were all born into sin. I really don't think it's that much of a choice I know plently of gay people who say that if they could be straight they would. And choosing to be something that is so hated in soceity doesn't make sense to me.
Aventists should not be watching this drival at all. The question is what spiritual benifit is there in those TV programs. No TV in Heaven.
How do you know there will be no TV in heaven? ;-)
No need for them
Travis wrote, "Is it remotely possible for anyone to understand the difference between an attraction and a sinful act?"

You are absolutely right Travis, we most definitely need to distinguish between the attraction and the sin. Temptation is NOT sin, sin is to follow through on the temptation in thought or deed as James 1:12-15 makes abundantly clear.

I am not convinced that anyone is born "gay" but given the fact that we live in a world defiled by sin I don't think we can rule the possibility out. There are people who are born with a pre-disposition towards alcohol or drugs.

Someone with a tendency towards homosexuality but resists the temptation will be saved the same as anyone else who overcomes temptation like an alcoholic, a sex addict, or a drug addict.

It is extremely important that we make the distinction between temptation and sin.

God Bless,

Pastor Bob
check my post after mz rae
I don't find this as clear-cut as you do John. People are not oranges. Mannerisms are not necessarily sin. So we should not judge further sin based on un-sinful mannerisms. I too assume a lot that I should not. I have no idea how much that person is resisting temptation and abstaining from sin. It is my job to show Christ to that person and encourage them in their journey to become more and more like Him.
The men of Sodom acted in a sinful manner from how I understand the story. I have personally never seen an example as clear cut as this. No one has wanted to "know" me nor have I seen any man want to "know" another. I have seen many indications of lifestyle that typically accompanies homosexuality and those that openly identify themselves that way. And these mannerisms leads me to jump to conclusions that I should not - I simply do not have that information and should not assume sin when I don't know that. What good does this judgment do me anyway? Tell me that I've found a real live sinner? Well I already know that we are all sinners so it doesn't help me further.

As for the name, I think you have it backwards. The word "sodomy" was taken from the Sodom (the city), not the city named for the act as you seem to suggest. Scholars aren't too sure where the name of the city came from. It could just be an Arabic name meaning "strengthened and fortified" or it could be a retronym and mean "scorched". (A retronym is something renamed after the fact.) If Sodom is a retronym, we don't know what the city name was before it was 'scorched'. But in either case, the name is not derived from 'sodomy'. It's exactly the opposite.
Well good for you. That's fine and dandy. And now you get to use your own experience to make generalizations about everyone else. Because YOU weren't born gay, that obviously means that NOBODY can be. Suuure.
Exactly! I think there are people who CHOOSE the gay lifestyle out of pure lust and once the lust is gone they go back to the straight lifestyle. Then there are people who I don't know it could be possible that they were born into that sin. Quite frankly out of all the gay people I know NONE of them are all lusting after each other, matter of fact they are in more meaningful relationships than my hetero friends. And I also see more lustfulness out of my hetero friends than the gay ones.
AMEN Atul!
Jesus does have the power to change us from the inside out if we will only let Him.
God bless you for your bravery my brother!
i'm happy for you! : )

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2022   Created by Clark P.   Powered by