Adventist Online

How does the testimonies of Jesus refer to the Spirit of Prophecy?

Revelations 12:17

I have to tell someone that the testimonies of Jesus is the SOP but I have no idea how to explain that if the person asks. Can anyone please help?

Views: 1918

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tan said, "Revelation 12:17 has nothing to do with spirit of prophecy. In order to make sense of this verse, we need to understand the commandments of God."

This is not correct. Rev. 19:10 says that "the testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of Prophecy."

In the rest of the reply nothing is mentioned about the testimony of Jesus - which is a shame as that is the topic at hand.

In regard to the 10 Commandments, you are correct when using the 7th-day Sabbath as a marker but not the feast days. The feast days are not a part of the 10 Commandments. The relevant commandments are the 2nd, 4th, 9th and 10th - these are the ones that have been changed. If you bring in the feast days then you are adding to what this verse says. 

You do state that, "You know that the fourth commandment also includes the holy days as well..."

Exod. 20:8-11 "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."

The Sabbath was introduced at creation - as were the other nine commandments - whereas the feast days were introduced after the Exodus. They are separate and distinct.

I am also concerned that anyone would advocate animal sacrifices after the death of Christ. The implication must be that the death of Christ is insufficient to save us from sin and that anyone subscribing to that system is not a Christian but, at best, a Jew still awaiting the Messiah.

To discover the true church one does not have to look for feast days but rather that all 10 Commandments are being kept and that the Church has the testimony of Jesus, which is the Spirit of Prophecy.

It is rather unfortunate that the only statement that you make in regard to the testimony of Jesus is to explicitly deny Rev.19:10 and offer no alternative understanding of the term.

Peace

JohnB: "To discover the true church one does not have to look for feast days but rather that all 10 Commandments are being kept and that the Church has the testimony of Jesus, which is the Spirit of Prophecy."

Brother JohnB, I agree, however the true Church with having the testimony of Jesus and the 10 C's also follows the moral laws written in the book as well... Those laws are the commands of GOD too... I understand the Holy feast days of GOD not being part of early SDA church doctrine, but GOD has shown HE reveals Truths as the scroll unrolls. There is nowhere in Bible or SOP from I have seen ( and not because I want to see it a certain way) that's says the Holy Feast days of GOD are done away with.
We find the early Christian Church still observing GOD'S annual Holy days, not from being pressured to do so, but from there own free will, Luke, Paul and his converts observing the whole eight days of the Feast of GOD some 20 years after the cross. If it was the 7th Sabbath it'll proof that the 7th Day Sabbath wasn't done away with.

The true Church moves with the unrolling of the scroll (Truth).

Peace and blessings my brother!

Hi Reasoning,

I don't have the SoP quotes to hand, please nudge me if I forget to post them.

A couple of questions to think about:

1. Is there any evidence of feast-keeping in the early church after 70ad?

2. How is it possible to keep any feast according to the terms laid out in Leviticus without being able to sacrifice livestock as mandated in that book?

I approach this topic from the point that the Feast days were contained within the written ordinances of Moses. If this particular set of ordinances is still binding today then I suggest that all the ordinances of the written law must be binding.

I find that this is not the case.

As always, blessings Reasoning.

p.s. re: the moral laws - the Feast days were not part of the moral law, were they?

Peace

JohnB: " I don't have the SoP quotes to hand, please nudge me if I forget to post them.

A couple of questions to think about:

1. Is there any evidence of feast-keeping in the early church after 70ad?

2. How is it possible to keep any feast according to the terms laid out in Leviticus without being able to sacrifice livestock as mandated in that book?

re: the moral laws - the Feast days were not part of the moral law, were they?

I approach this topic from the point that the Feast days were contained within the written ordinances of Moses. If this particular set of ordinances is still binding today then I suggest that all the ordinances of the written law must be binding. I find that this is not the case."

-----------------------------------

Thank you brother JohnB... good questions, they are questions I asked when trying to prove the feast days were done away with. I use to think the Holy days themselves were done away with, that they were ceremonial feast days, because that's the term used when speaking of them within the church, but I found nowhere that the days themselves were called ceremonial, there were ceremonies done on the Holy feast days, whether the weekly feast day (Num.28:9,10) or the annual feast days of GOD.

You ask if there was Christians observing GOD'S Holy feast days after 70ad, I say yes, but before I show that evidence, lets focus on before the 70ad, and what the early church was doing and their example, which is our example.

EGW: "At Philippi Paul tarried to keep the Passover. Only Luke remained with him, the other members of the company passing on to Troas to await him there. The Philippians were the most loving and truehearted of the apostle’s converts, and during the eight days of the feast he enjoyed peaceful and happy communion with them."– {AA 390.4}

This glimpse into what was going on in Philippi gives evidence of the early church still observing the feast days of GOD... also it answers your three questions, I'm assuming some of why you mentioned 70ad because of the temple in Jerusalem, and having to be there to properly observed the Holy set days of GOD, and after 70ad with the destruction of the temple those days weren't observed by Jewish Christians anymore?

The quote of EGW shows the annual Holy set days of GOD could be observed in other lands, in this case it was in Philippi. It also shows the Holy set days of GOD can be observed without sacrificing livestock, because I know you don't believe Luke, Paul and his converts were sacrificing animals while observing the Holy set days GOD, do you?  .

Them observing the Holy Feast days of GOD without observing the ceremonies that was associated with the Holy days themselves shows they were on the moral side of the law contained in the book. GOD'S Moed or Feast days are in fact Holy convocations, a set time to come together and to worship GOD has to be moral.

I wouldn't recommend suggesting if a person observes the annual Holy set days that they observe the ceremonies that use to be in effect before Jesus took them away by His death and resurrection. The example of Luke and Paul observing the Holy Feast days of GOD should be our example.  They taught that the ceremonial with killing lambs and rituals done in the temple was done away with. They also of their free will observe GOD'S Holy set days on the days HE said observe them. They had a choice, there wasn't any pressure from anyone, because SOP says   "...during the eight days of the feast he enjoyed peaceful and happy communion with them."....

Down through the time, past 70ad, the facts of history explained by A,T Jones shows Gentles observing the "true Passover" on the 14th day of the first month.

"From Rome there came now another addition to the sunworshipping apostasyThe first Christians being mostly Jews, continued to celebrate, in remembrance of the death of Christ, the true Passover; and this was continued among those who from among the Gentles had turned to Christ. Accordingly, the celebration was always on the Passover day, the fourteenth of the first month.Rome, however, and from her all the West, adopted the day of the sun as the day of this coloration. According to the Eastern custom, the celebration, being on the fourteenth day of the month, would of course fall on different days of the week as the years resolved. The rule of Rome was that the celebration must always be on a Sunday." (Great Empires of Prophecy, 1898, p. 389 by A.T. Jones)

If this is true, and we read

Daniel 7:25 (King James Version)
"And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and time

The "times", it's plural, it's not just the 7th Day Sabbath, but the annual Holy days as well... and from what I see they don't deny it. 

This is from the Catechism of Pope Pius X:

2 Q. What are festivals?

A. In the Old Law they were Saturdays and certain other days regarded as specially solemn by the Jews; in the New Law they are Sundays and other festivals instituted by the Church.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"The Cath. Church abolished not only the Sabbath, but all the other Jewish festivals. Pray and study. I shall be always glad to help you as long as you honestly seek the truth. Respectfully, T.
Enright CSSR.” June 1905

Thinking to change "times", GOD'S Holy set days. The Bible, along with facts of history of Brother A.T Jones, it explains clearly in my view that the annual Holy days of GOD are on the hit list to be counterfeited... and the main thing in regards to what we're talking about, it shows GOD'S Holy Feast days still being observed (by Gentles) on the day HE said to observe it, way... after 70ad. But Rome wanted to change that.

Blessings!

Hi Reasoning,

My apologies for the delay in coming back to you. I will try to keep this short and to the point.

You use Acts of the Apostles as evidence for your assertion of "evidence of the early church still observing the feast days of GOD". However, whilst the quote says that Paul and Luke tarried to keep a feast, the others did not. They continued on their journey. There is no clear example here. Neither of the groups attempted to complete the obligatory pilgrimage to Jerusalem which they were supposed to do as part of the keeping of the feast.

In regard to the Christians keeping the Feast of the Tabernacles in 70ad, look at what SoP says about this:

"Upon the retreat of Cestius, the Jews, sallying from Jerusalem, pursued after his retiring army; and while both forces were thus fully engaged, the Christians had an opportunity to leave the city. At this time the country also had been cleared of enemies who might have endeavored to intercept them. At the time of the siege, the Jews were assembled at Jerusalem to keep the Feast of Tabernacles, and thus the Christians throughout the land were able to make their escape unmolested. Without delay they fled to a place of safety—the city of Pella, in the land of Perea, beyond Jordan." (The Great Controversy p.30)

Please note that she says that the reason that the Christians were able to escape unmolested was that the Jews had assembled to keep the feast - and the Christians had not. Yet this feast was also one of the obligatory pilgrimage feasts. There was a 'time of grace' after the cross but the destruction of the Temple made it clear that the sacrificial system had been abolished. The Day of Atonement is a good example of the cessation of the feasts. Despite the renting of the curtain, Israel continued to keep the Day right up to the destruction of the Temple. For forty years the scarlet thread taken from the goat’s tether and tied to the door of the Temple remained red. Prior to that time it had turned white in colour as a sign of God’s acceptance. For forty years the ‘eternal flame’ on the candlestick had gone out every night despite the best efforts of the priests to keep it alight. For forty years the black lot was drawn, never the white one. From the time of the sacrifice of Christ on the cross the Day of Atonement was no longer effective. The feasts were over.

"But One greater than Moses lay in the priest’s arms; and when he enrolled the child’s name, he was enrolling the name of One who was the foundation of the whole Jewish economy. That name was to be its death warrant; for the system of sacrifices and offerings was waxing old; the type had almost reached its antitype, the shadow its substance." (The Desire of Ages p.52)

Speaking of Jesus at the beginning of His life on earth she looks forward to the end of His life when type and anti-type meet at the cross, shadow meets substance and the old system ceases. In the same book she speaks of this event in this way:

""The Lord Jesus the same night in which He was betrayed took bread: and when He had given thanks, He brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is My body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of Me. After the same manner also He took the cup, when He had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in My blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of Me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till He come." 1 Corinthians 11:23-26. 

Christ was standing at the point of transition between two economies and their two great festivals. He, the spotless Lamb of God, was about to present Himself as a sin offering, that He would thus bring to an end the system of types and ceremonies that for four thousand years had pointed to His death. As He ate the Passover with His disciples, He instituted in its place the service that was to be the memorial of His great sacrifice. The national festival of the Jews was to pass away forever. The service which Christ established was to be observed by His followers in all lands and through all ages.
The Passover was ordained as a commemoration of the deliverance of Israel from Egyptian bondage. God had directed that, year by year, as the children should ask the meaning of this ordinance, the history should be repeated. Thus the wonderful deliverance was to be kept fresh in the minds of all. The ordinance of the Lord's Supper was given to commemorate the great deliverance wrought out as the result of the death of Christ. Till He shall come the second time in power and glory, this ordinance is to be celebrated. It is the means by which His great work for us is to be kept fresh in our minds." The Desire of Ages, p.652 (emphasis mine)

She returns to this theme, albeit more forcefully, in 1898:

"In this ordinance, Christ discharged his disciples from the cares and burdens of the ancient Jewish obligations in rites and ceremonies. These no longer possessed any virtue; for type was meeting antitype in himself, the authority and foundation of all Jewish ordinances that pointed to him as the great and only efficacious offering for the sins of the world. He gave this simple ordinance that it might be a special season when he himself would always be present, to lead all participating in it to feel the pulse of their own conscience, to awaken them to an understanding of the lessons symbolized, to revive their memory, to convict of sin, and to receive their penitential repentance. He would teach them that brother is not to exalt himself above brother, that the dangers of disunion and strife shall be seen and appreciated; for the health and holy activity of the soul are involved.

"This ordinance does not speak so largely to man’s intellectual capacity as to his heart. His moral and spiritual nature needs it. If his disciples had not needed this, it would not have been left for them as Christ’s last established ordinance in connection with, and including, the last supper. It was Christ’s desire to leave to his disciples an ordinance that would do for them the very thing they needed,—that would serve to disentangle them from the rites and ceremonies which they had hitherto engaged in as essential, and which the reception of the gospel made no longer of any force. To continue these rites would be an insult to Jehovah. Eating of the body, and drinking of the blood, of Christ, not merely at the sacramental service, but daily partaking of the bread of life to satisfy the soul’s hunger, would be in receiving his word and doing his will. (Review & Herald 14th June 1898, par. 15 & 16

The ceremonial shadows were removed at the cross and after a period of grace the Jerusalem Temple was destroyed to ensure that there could not be any more sacrifices or pilgrimages. In this way I believe that it is very clear that there is no longer an obligation in regard to the types and that any continuation of them may well be an insult to God.

Hope this helps, as always... Blessings.

Great post JonhB

It's truly an insult to Jehovah when we want to resurrect these feast days etc.
In Leviticus 23 it says, 

1And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 2Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts. 

The feasts of the LORD are holy convocations that are to be kept just as the weekly Sabbath, this is what verse 3 of the chapter shows.  

3Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the Sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

The weekly Sabbath is a holy convocation and so are the feasts of the LORD. I haven’t seen anywhere that these days have been renounced by God; have you? 

The ceremonial offerings and sacrifices that accompanied theses holy days were abolished  through the offering and sacrifice of the Lamb of God which was the fulfillment of those ceremonial laws. Hebrews 10:11says,

“Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God…”   

These offering and sacrifices of animals as we know pointed to Christ.

(Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin.)

The destruction of the Jerusalem temple was instrumental in removing  the Jewish lawful rigths of participating in these sacrificial  practices  forever. 

“Before building the Temple in Jerusalem, when the children of Israel were in the desert, sacrifices were offered only in the Tabernacle. After building the First Temple sacrifices were allowed only in the Temple in Jerusalem. After the First Temple was destroyed sacrifices was resumed in the Second Temple period until it was also destroyed in 70 CE. After the destruction of the Second Temple sacrifices wereprohibited because there was no longer a Temple, the only place allowed by Halakha for sacrifices.” 

Halakhah, also spelled Halakha, Halakah, or Halachah (Hebrew: “the Way”), plural Halakhahs, Halakhot, Halakhoth, or Halachot,  in Judaism, the totality of laws and ordinances that have evolved since biblical times to regulate religious observances and the daily life and conduct of the Jewish people. Quite distinct from the Law of the Pentateuch (the first five books of the Bible), Halakhah purports to preserve and represent oral traditions stemming from the revelation on Mount Sinai or evolved on the basis of it. The legalistic nature of Halakhah also sets it apart from those parts of rabbinic, or Talmudic, literature that include history, fables, and ethical teachings (Haggadah). That Halakhah existed from ancient times is confirmed from nonpentateuchal passages of the Bible, where, for example, servitude is mentioned as a legitimate penalty for unpaid debts (2 Kings 4:1). 

The holy days are holy convocations; Sabbaths days which are to be kept at their appointed time of the year to  focus our attention on God's  plan of salvation.

They are shadows of good things to come, the reality being in Christ.

These Sabbath days have never been abolished, just misunderstood, denounced and considered an insult.
Something that is worth reconsidering.

Gene,

It would be better if you just allowed the scripture to speak for itself without inserting your own interpretation in the middle.

Lev.23:3 refers specifically to the seventh-day Sabbath. However, having mentioned the seventh-day Sabbath verse 4 starts a new, distinct, point: These are the feasts of the Lord and then goes on to enumerate the ceremonial feast days. Not all of them are sabbaths and they follow a Lunar monthly pattern not a Solar weekly pattern. The feasts were not in force prior to the Exodus whereas the 10 commandments were. The laws in regard to the annual feast were kept in the outer pocket of the Ark of the Covenant whereas the 10 commandments were kept in the inner pocket.

Hebrews 8 vs 7 on says,

For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.But God found fault with the people and said:

“The days are coming, declares the Lord,
    when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
    and with the people of Judah.
It will not be like the covenant
    I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
    to lead them out of Egypt,
because they did not remain faithful to my covenant,
    and I turned away from them,
declares the Lord.
This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel
    after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
    and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
    and they will be my people.
No longer will they teach their neighbor,
    or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
    from the least of them to the greatest.
For I will forgive their wickedness
    and will remember their sins no more.”

By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

Hebrews chapters 8-10 clarifies that the old system (within which are the ceremonial sabbaths) has been replaced by the ministry of Jesus Christ. To continue keeping the feast days of the old covenant means that one is still in the old covenant and therefore has to find a way to offer the animal sacrifices as well.

Peace

JohnB: "It would be better if you just allowed the scripture to speak for itself without inserting your own interpretation in the middle.

Lev.23:3 refers specifically to the seventh-day Sabbath. However, having mentioned the seventh-day Sabbath verse 4 starts a new, distinct, point: These are the feasts of the Lord and then goes on to enumerate the ceremonial feast days. Not all of them are sabbaths and they follow a Lunar monthly pattern not a Solar weekly pattern...."

The annual set Holy Days of GOD aren't ceremonial feast days, nowhere have I heard the term used. There were ceremonies done on the feast days, but the days themselves aren't a ceremony.

I heard this interpretation before,  when verse 4 starts that somehow means a "new, distinct, point:', it's not new, the context is

Lev.23:1 The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, These are the appointed feasts of the Lord that you shall proclaim as holy convocations; these are my appointed feasts.

We must remember, feast is translated from the Hebrew word 'Moed', which means a appointed set time. What's the #1 appointed set time of our GOD?

Lev.23: Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings.

This is a feast day that should be observed on a weekly basis. It goes on,

Lev.23:These are the feasts of the Lord, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons.

Proclaiming these feast days of GOD should be done in their seasons, which means done on an annual basis. The context remains the same, "these are my[GOD] feasts.", only thing that changes is the time to observe them.

From the weekly Feast day to the annual feast days, they all are spoken against.

Daniel 7:25 (King James Version)
"And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and time

Few other translations says

Daniel 7:25 (Amplified Bible)
"And he shall speak words against the Most High [God] and shall wear out the saints of the Most High and think to change the time [of sacred feasts and holy days] and the law; and the saints shall be given into his hand for a time, two times, and half a time [three and one-half years].

Daniel 7:25 (New Living Translation)
"He will defy the Most High and oppress the holy people of the Most High. He will try to change their sacred festivals and laws, and they will be placed under his control for a time, times, and half a time.

Dan. 7:25 (New American Bible)
"He shall speak against the Most High and oppress the holy ones of the Most High, thinking to change the feast days and the law. They shall be handed over to him for a year, two years, and a half-year.

Dan.7:25 (Wycliffe Bible)
"And he shall speak words against the High GOD, and he shall defoul the saints of the HighestHigh; and he shall guess, that he may change times and laws (And he shall speak words against the Most Hight GOD, and he shall defile, or shall oppress, the saints of the Most GODHigh; and he shall think, that he can change the times for the feast, and the laws); and they shall be given into his hands, till to time, and times, and the half of time.

These are GOD'S weekly and annual feast days are spoken against by Rome

This is from the Catechism of Pope Pius X:

2 Q. What are festivals?

A. In the Old Law they were Saturdays and certain other days regarded as specially solemn by the Jews; in the New Law they are Sundays and other festivals instituted by the Church.

---------------------------------------------

"The Cath. Church abolished not only the Sabbath, but all the other Jewish festivals. Pray and study. I shall be always glad to help you as long as you honestly seek the truth. Respectfully, T.
Enright CSSR.” June 1905

JohnB: "The laws in regard to the annual feast were kept in the outer pocket of the Ark of the Covenant whereas the 10 commandments were kept in the inner pocket."

I ask you, were/are there laws in the book kept in the outer pocket considered Moral?

Blessing!

Hi Reasoning,

Peace.

Obviously I disagree with your conclusions. I note that the Bible translators also felt that Lev.23:4 starts a different theme as many of them gave a sub-heading at this point.

The first problem I have is how you can separate the day from the ceremonies performed on the day? They are a package deal - they came together.

From vs.9 onwards it describes the day of Firstfruits. The day is all about bringing an offering to God and was only to be held once the Israelites entered into the promised land. The Israelites were instructed to bring a portion of the harvest for the priest to wave and specific sacrifices were to be made of animal, grain and wine. The making of the offering was preceded by a fast. How can you separate these elements without destroying the lesson and purpose of the day?

Where do you get the authority to change what God has decreed?

Verse 2 tells us that these assemblies were for the Israelites. They formed the basis for the Israeli economy and were like a pantomime pointing to the future. The subject was the messiah and everything about the sanctuary services pointed to the coming messiah.

As Paul says, these were a shadow of what was to come (Col.2:17) and the fulfilment was in Christ. Now that we have the body, why would we want to follow the shadow?

Hebrews 8:8-13,

Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Now I don't see why one would try and keep the feasts of the old covenant when that covenant has decayed and waxed old and been replaced with a new one? God makes a new covenant which is not according to the covenant which introduced the feast days because, with the arrival of the body, the shadow has decayed and waxed old.

As far as Dan 7:25 goes it is fulfilled by virtue of the fact that the seventh-day Sabbath was changed and Easter Sunday introduced. Plus there is the fact of the multitude of saint's days that served as additional "holy" days.

I don't need to resurrect the old covenant for this verse to be fulfilled.

Blessings.

JohnB,

I must ask you, do you understand what the old covenant actually was?  The feasts of the LORD were not ceremonial days nor were they the old covenant, but they were a call to worship by God to the people of God.

Leviticus 23:1And the LORD spoke unto Moses, saying, 2Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts.

The feasts of the LORD, were to be proclaim to be holy convocations; they were and is call to worship.

The old covenant were the Commandments of God. The people were unable to keep the old covenant by their own efforts even though they said they would.

Exodus 20:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 6And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

7And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the LORD commanded him. 8And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD. 9And the LORD said unto Moses, Lo, I come unto thee in a thick cloud that the people may hear when I speak with thee, and believe thee forever. And Moses told the words of the people unto the LORD.

Exodus 20:1 And God spoke all these words, saying…

God spoke the Old Covenant which was the 10 Commandments to the people, that’s what chapter twenty is all about.

Hebrews 8:8 For finding fault with them, he said, Behold, the days come, said the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah…

9Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, said the Lord.

10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, said the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people…

The old covenant pertained to keeping God’s Commandments, something we cannot do in our own efforts.

Romans 8:3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Our ability to keep God commandments are not through our own human efforts, but through the Spirit; so through the Spirit we can keep God’s call to worship.

So let’s not confuse the word of God that we have In Leviticus 23 by clouding it with phrases such as lunar monthly and solar weekly pattern.

Let us try to understand in fullness the will of God.

Peace

JohnB:"The first problem I have is how you can separate the day from the ceremonies performed on the day? They are a package deal - they came together."

Thank you... They were a package deal brother JohnB, there was ceremonies done on the 7th day Sabbath as well as the annual set Holy days.

Check out Numbers 28,

And on the sabbath day two lambs of the first year without spot, and two tenth deals of flour for a meat offering, mingled with oil, and the drink offering thereof:

10 This is the burnt offering of every sabbath, beside the continual burnt offering, and his drink offering.

11 And in the beginnings of your months ye shall offer a burnt offering unto the Lord; two young bullocks, and one ram, seven lambs of the first year without spot;

12 And three tenth deals of flour for a meat offering, mingled with oil, for one bullock; and two tenth deals of flour for a meat offering, mingled with oil, for one ram;

13 And a several tenth deal of flour mingled with oil for a meat offering unto one lamb; for a burnt offering of a sweet savour, a sacrifice made by fire unto the Lord.

14 And their drink offerings shall be half an hin of wine unto a bullock, and the third part of an hin unto a ram, and a fourth part of an hin unto a lamb: this is the burnt offering of every month throughout the months of the year.

15 And one kid of the goats for a sin offering unto the Lord shall be offered, beside the continual burnt offering, and his drink offering.

16 And in the fourteenth day of the first month is the passover of the Lord.

17 And in the fifteenth day of this month is the feast: seven days shall unleavened bread be eaten.

Understanding Jesus did away with the ceremonies and the Holy days remain is an easy concept. We see it by the actions of Luke and Paul in Philippi.

EGW: "At Philippi Paul tarried to keep the Passover. Only Luke remained with him, the other members of the company passing on to Troas to await him there. The Philippians were the most loving and truehearted of the apostle’s converts, and during the eight days of the feast he enjoyed peaceful and happy communion with them."– {AA 390.4}

Do you believe they are performing the ceremonies that was done away with at the cross? You believe they were killing lambs in Philippi brother JohnB?

I say they weren't, but they were for a fact observing the set Holy days of GOD. Removing the ceremonies and observing the set Holy days shouldn't be a problem for you.

Blessings!

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by