Adventist Online

We're supposed to be peculiar people, right? Some people seem to equate being peculiar with not eating pigs or drinking or smoking. I imagine that we would be even more peculiar if we didn't argue with each other. Let's try that. At church this Sabbath, if there are usually arguments or any unpleasant conversation there, speak up and say that it's against your religion!

Why do we say, "Oh, I can't smoke. It's against my religion," or "I can't eat out on Sabbath. That's against my religion," when arguments and disputes are even more antithetical to our religion? But I hardly ever hear anyone preaching against or correcting others for being critical and argumentative.

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you make a good point Travis. The kingdom of God is not about strife and commotion. Certainly we can disagree agreeably. ;-) And if God were in our midst, would our conversation be different? For the fact is, He is.....
Good point Travis. The same thing also applies to gossip which is another great problem in our churches. They both are a cancer.
Don't argue, don't smoke, don't drink, don't drug, love God, love your neighbor. Keep the commandments, keep the faith of Jesus.repent when you sin. How's that?
I think that most or many Christian Churches teach that Stephen. But we are to be a peculiar people. Can you imagine a church that didn't gossip or argue. Now that would be peculiar.
Most of the time when I hear about Adventists from the "outside", it's usually the people who don't eat pork or the people who go to church on Sabbath (or who don't believe in Jesus or the Bible, or other odd things I've heard). I bet everyone would know who we were if we never argued. We'd probably be the leading Bible scholars in the world if we could manage civil discussions.
Adventists are the leading Bible scholars in the world going back 150 years.It's not about "bickering." People sin on an individual basis, not collectively. Why would you think that any Sunday group would be the leading Bible Scholars when they are riddled with errors? The SDA 28 beliefs contain no errors and is all truth. No other church can say that and speak the truth.
Let me clarify. What I meant was that we would be recognized by other churches as the leading Bible scholars.

Of course, it's debatable how much we've actually studied in the last hundred years or so as opposed to early in our church history.
There are many things about the Bible that the Sunday churches have a much better understanding and practice of. Yes, we have many truths. But we do not have a monopoly on understandings and applications.
How about starting a new trend?. We can always lament the failings of the system or work to make it as it should be. So here's the suggested modus operandi sml.:

"Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbor: for we are members one of another.

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamor, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice.

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."

Eph 4: 25, 29-32. Interestingly, this was written by One who had no problems sharing the Word of God boldly but with courtesy and truth.
Excellent suggestion! This should be one of the Fundamental Beliefs. Or at least a rule on here.

Maybe if we read the words of Jesus more, we would have a better idea of how to do that. I think some people only read the part where He drove out the money-changers, though.
There is s religious group here in our country that never argue among themselves about doctrinal and Biblical issues. They always take their pastors or leader's words at face value. How was that done? They are kept from reading the Bible. The problem: they doesnt know the Bible well. With that, they have nothing to argue with...
Some people just focus on the negative, and just tear down the church. Sure, we need to know about the real apostasy and speak out. But lets not assign the sins of some to all.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service