Adventist Online

How should we describe the Godhead or Trinity?

Are they one God in three persons?

Are they one God in three person?

Or, is there another way to describe the relationship between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit?

I am interested.

God Bless, Alex.

I read this in this forum; 

"What I have said here will be very hard to comprehend by many here but, can we really comprehend the Godhead?? Only one God three distinct person not persons.

Also, I never knew the SDA church promotes three Gods."

Views: 944

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ezra Moore

Yes she was impregnated by the Holy Spirit that is biblical. but isnt that the same as being conceived??

No, I will try and explain it. When you say someone was conceived, that is saying that the egg that would one day become that person was fertilized. So when you say that Mary was conceived by the Holy Spirit it means that before Mary was born the Holy Spirit fertilizedthe egg that she came from. I hope that makes sense.

if I could just post something, it does not really address how to describe the Godhead but I have noticed that some on here are saying that They are not three separate persons. 

In Genesis we read: "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth". God in this verse is plural, so even Moses understood that there were more than one individual involved in creation. Not sure if it will help anyone but I just wanted to point that out. 

Happy Sabbath, 

we are truly individuals

with different paths and understandings

different steps and different growths in our journey to the CITY OF GOD

I never ever had to struggle with this doctrine

it grows and get brighter and fuller

and i never had to bang my head against the wall about it

conversely there are people here with doctrines/beliefs/dogma that make so much sense to them

that i just dont understand  or hold as high:)

isnt that a hoot!

GOD bless you Alexander

i care deeply

u have a chip on your shoulder and its not becoming and gives others reason to mock JESUS

i remember how it jolted me to find out

it was JESUS who formed the world

IT WAS JESUS WHO STOOPED DOWN in the dirt to form Adam

it was JESUS who ate with Abraham

it layed me to ashes

that GOD was on the CROSS!

\i/ \i/ \i/

amen!

The problem with the trinity is that we do not have the mental concepts nor the language to comprehend it.  Any attempt to describe the trinity in our limited terms is like an ant trying to strangle an elephant.  Suffice it to say that God is one.  If you were to enter into that One, you would find the Father, the Son and the Spirit as three individual beings, yet all divine and united in thought and action in ways that I can hardly grasp.

Even my words do not adequately bring comprehension to your question, but I believe it does point out our difficulty in simply speaking about the Trinity.

You will never find an exact correct expression of the Trinity while your on earth, we just are not capable of such a feat.  This however is a proof of the truth of it, no human would invent a god he or she could not explain themselves.  The fact that the Trinity is not comprehensible to us, is evidence that we did not invent God.

The trinity is a church doctrine today. Yet the Adventist Pioneers (including EGW) did not believe in it. Such different views are confusing. The book "Steps to Christ" is not in agreement with the Trinity Doctrine. God and Christ are two different and separate personalities, although they both are God. Sin created a deep gulf between man and God the Father and only Christ can lead the sinner back to God the Father. Yet the Trinity doctrine states that God and the Son is one personality. Also the Trinity doctrine says that Christ could not die at Calvary because he was partly divine or in other words his divine nature while on earth was still partly hidden with God in Heaven. But Christ death is necessary for salvation!

I don't think the Adventist doctrine of the trinity says that the Father and Jesus are the same person. I'm pretty sure that we teach that they are seperate and distinct, but one in mind and purpose. 

2. Trinity:
There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal Persons. God is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known through His self-revelation. He is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and service by the whole creation. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14; Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2; 1 Tim. 1:17; Rev. 14:7.)

3. Father:
God the eternal Father is the Creator, Source, Sustainer, and Sovereign of all creation. He is just and holy, merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness. The qualities and powers exhibited in the Son and the Holy Spirit are also revelations of the Father. (Gen. 1:1; Rev. 4:11; 1 Cor. 15:28; John 3:16; 1 John 4:8; 1 Tim. 1:17; Ex. 34:6, 7; John 14:9.)

4. Son: 
God the eternal Son became incarnate in Jesus Christ. Through Him all things were created, the character of God is revealed, the salvation of humanity is accomplished, and the world is judged. Forever truly God, He became also truly man, Jesus the Christ. He was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived and experienced temptation as a human being, but perfectly exemplified the righteousness and love of God. By His miracles He manifested God's power and was attested as God's promised Messiah. He suffered and died voluntarily on the cross for our sins and in our place, was raised from the dead, and ascended to minister in the heavenly sanctuary in our behalf. He will come again in glory for the final deliverance of His people and the restoration of all things. (John 1:1-3, 14; Col. 1:15-19; John 10:30; 14:9; Rom. 6:23; 2 Cor. 5:17-19; John 5:22; Luke 1:35; Phil. 2:5-11; Heb. 2:9-18; 1 Cor. 15:3, 4; Heb. 8:1, 2; John 14:1-3.)

5. Holy Spirit:
God the eternal Spirit was active with the Father and the Son in Creation, incarnation, and redemption. He inspired the writers of Scripture. He filled Christ's life with power. He draws and convicts human beings; and those who respond He renews and transforms into the image of God. Sent by the Father and the Son to be always with His children, He extends spiritual gifts to the church, empowers it to bear witness to Christ, and in harmony with the Scriptures leads it into all truth. (Gen. 1:1, 2; Luke 1:35; 4:18; Acts 10:38; 2 Peter 1:21; 2 Cor. 3:18; Eph. 4:11, 12; Acts 1:8; John 14:16-18, 26; 15:26, 27; 16:7-13.)

Thank you Bro Ezra. Please find time to read the link below and let's compare notes. I'm still reading.

http://www.enjoying-the-spirit-filled-life.com/introduction-trinity...

As Seventh Day Adventist we do not believe in 3 Gods but One God. Really just One. I would caution everyone to avoid using 3 Gods cause we do not believe that and that is not in our doctrine. We believe in One God.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service