Adventist Online

pro and cons are they bad or helpful and what would u use to back up your stance ? without full page long drawn out speechs haha!
for instance in adventist youth programs their be many plays during the year and also I have seen them well done for vesper voice and 13th sabbath programs .
MANY I hear Disaprove of any kind of drama being done in the church soo that why I ask ? Clear enough or still murky like muddy water ? haha!

Views: 147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ha Ha. Good point. I was not aware of that. I think I will start clapping instead of those Amens. Definately ... not polite.
Main Entry: amen
Pronunciation: \(ˈ)ä-ˈmen, (ˈ)ā-; ˈä- when sung\
Function: interjection
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin, from Greek amēn, from Hebrew āmēn
Date: before 12th century

—used to express solemn ratification (as of an expression of faith) or hearty approval (as of an assertion)

I believe the issue is who are we giving praise to- God for Whose glory all worship is due or to man who is merely an instrument of this worship?

If we clap during a song it becomes a part of the worship of God. If we wait until the "performance" is over we are giving praise to the "performer". Yes, it becomes a performance, not worship.

Saying "amen" is more of a way to express reverence to God in my opinion. When I'm done I always say "amen" to show that this was for God, not me.
That's how the word is used, but that's not what it means. Otherwise it must be a "vain and profane babbling".

Also, if you pronounce "Amen" as "Ah-mehn" (not "Ay-mehn"), you're summoning an Egyptian god.

Joking aside, clapping during a song would make it sort of hard to hear. I don't think that clapping has to take away from the worship experience. I don't see a respectful applause as anything more than giving thanks for the gift God has given the musician.
Likewise should you come to my church expecting to receive praise, you will be disappointed... ;o)
It may be only cultural, but the Bible exhorts us to SHOUT for joy unto the Lord, come into His presence with singing, raise "holy" hands, pray standing up, kneeling or lying down, clap your hands and be joyful, praise Him in dance...etc. The Bible is relevent for all generations - do we ignore some things that may not be comfortable for some of us, though very comfortable for others?
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.... I'm just sharing my experience as a musician... I also never tell a pastor that I enjoyed their sermon for the same reason... we as humans have a tendency to get big heads- I will tell a pastor that the Lord blessed me with the message that morning- never attributing it to the pastor.
Actually, I don't clap or amen either. I just sit there quietly.

I think it sounds silly when a bunch of people say amen at once.

:D
I was watching a sermon by Doug Batchelor last night. And while I normally like his preaching, he said something that actually disturbed me.

He made a point to the effect of, people who go to classical music concerts dress in their BEST clothing (tuxedos and other awful things) and if they so much as sneeze they get ushered out or everyone just glares angrily because they want to hear the music. SO, shouldn't our church services be just as reverent?

And I though, NO! We don't come together to worship Yo Yo Ma. We're worshiping our Creator. The Creator who gave us vocal cords to praise Him. Church services are a family gathering, not quiet time where we sit and listen and are very careful not to make anyone mad. If your family gatherings are like that, I'm glad I'm not in your family. God has countless beings sitting around His throne praising Him loudly CONSTANTLY, but oh, hush in church because you might make God mad.
Yes Travis ... the scriptures are full of loud praise.
I don't think we should be chattering loudly or anything, but the idea of total silence in worship is what I can't understand.

"Shhhh! Be quiet or God will get you!"
Yes, sometimes children can be too loud. It is up to the parents to teach reverence in the sanctuary - and it seem that few there be that do it.

I had a client with altzheimers who wanted to go to my church. We went to the one closest to his home. The children were out of control, running on the platform, all around the sancturary, yelling, etc. - before worship. My client became so adjitated that we had to leave. We ended up going to a small non-denominational church where reverence was practiced, and the children still had a good time. My client wanted church, and I was ashamed he couldn't attend one in our denomination, but had to go eleswhere. I was a 24 hour caregiver, and my client's welfare was my first responsibility - how could I explain such a display in my own denominational church?
I agree, Sylvia, that sometimes the children of some parents are left to wander on their own,and it does cause chaos and loss of focus. We have that sometimes with 2 families that seem afraid to tell their children "no." I don't know what their reasoning is, but we all have to deal with it. I have asked the parents if they need help with their children, to which they replied no; and I have also whispered to the children "sshhh, I cannot hear", which seems to get a quiet result about half the time.
There are also some very loud adults who talk to each other in in the pews. It has even been put in the church bulletin, "Please show reverence in the sanctuary, save conversations for after worship." Which hasn't worked either.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service